Thread: M50 NON VANOS turbo No spark from Cylinder 1 At all

My Cars
    S13 M50 turbo, FD RX7

M50 NON VANOS turbo No spark from Cylinder 1 At all

Hello folks, new to the forum but not bmws. I have a Nissan S13 with a built bmw m50 non vanos engine. I've never had a misfire before until the car sat for a few years in storage. I have a misfire only on cylinder 1 from the ignition coil, injector has also been shut off as per the ecu.

Things checked and changed :
    Cam Sensor
    Crank Sensor(engine starts right up)
    Continuity to crank and cam sensor are good
    Ecu pinout of blk/white wire from Ecu has a solid connection but has no pulse from the ecu.
    Multiple Ecus from 405 to 403 AND Kdata megasquirt and the same thing happens.
    Crankshaft pulley exchanged with another and the same thing.
    Timing with timing tools set, checked and rechecked
    Engine grounds good
    Main relay changed
    Compression is good 150+

The only thing that I can see as an issue is my ignition coils being of different brands. I have two beru ignition coils 1 bosch (from an E36 m3 apparently) and 3 bremi ignition coils

Has anyone experienced this issue??
    Last edited by Bspecauto; 12-03-2019 at 05:37 AM.

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    What? A bad ignition coil?.. Yeah... Plenty of people.

My Cars
    S13 M50 turbo, FD RX7
    Swapped plenty of ignition coils around. On cylinder one it refuses to fire.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Did you mess with the intake cam by any chance? The front triangular shield must be oriented correctly to give a proper cam sensor signal. Cam sensor controls fuel. Do you have spark coming from the plugs? Do you have fuel coming out of the injectors?

My Cars
    S13 M50 turbo, FD RX7
    Ok guys, I figured it out. I used power from the ignition "on" wire, cut the black/white wire from the ecu, then checked for pulsing ground from the ecu and there was a pulse. Used a plug from another bmw ignition and voila, cylinder 1 fires up. Apparently the wire had melted somewhere within the harness preventing the ecu from pulsing. The wire was receiving voltage and being blocked from control. IMG_20191120_145206.jpg

My Cars
    1991 BMW 318is m50 swap
    I’m having the same problem, I can’t find a good video or page explaining how to check for pulsing ground, or the pulse.
    Can you explain a little more? I’m pretty sure I have the same problem as you, I’ve checked and changed everything else

My Cars
    S13 M50 turbo, FD RX7
    I'm just now seeing this. From your ecu, find your pinout for whichever cylinder is misfiring. Either white/black yellow/black etc. These wires have a pulsing ground from the ecu, you'll need some sort of power probe or multimeter to check for the pulse(this is an absolute must) if there's no pulse and it's receiving constant voltage, cut the wire after the ecu before it gets tucked in with the rest of the wires.

Start the car and check to see if it's pulsing. If it is pulsing when it's disconnected then you'll know that you have a melted wire within the harness forcing constant power and no pulse.
    See if that helps, or replace the whe harness if you can.

My Cars
    E36
    I see two black wires running across the top of you’re motor then down under the intake manifold! What are those for, where are they connected?
    How many new wires did you connect and from what point to where do you connect them?

Did you cut the old ignition coil plug off and connect a whole new/used plug from another e36 and if so from what point do you cut the plug?

- - - Updated - - -

If you still have this vehicle and it’s still wired like this, can you possibly upload more pics showing where the wire or wires are connected?

My Cars
    1993 318is/who to knows
    He already figured it out. ..