Thread: Leaking air suspension, not bad airbags

My Cars
    540iT 840Ci 850Ci 540i

Leaking air suspension, not bad airbags

I have a 2000 540iT touring with air bag rear suspension, and about 30 minutes after running, the back of the car sits right down with the wheels right up in the wheel wells. I have had this issue before with other Touring BMW's, and always fixed it with new air bags, but on this car, new air bags didn't fix the problem.
    I exposed all the air line plumbing and sprayed soapy water onto all of them, even the lines going into the pump and the large pipes going to the two reservoirs under the car, and I cannot find any leaks, either with the pump running or the car turned off.
    I tried to look through the other postings on this site, but couldn't find any mention of the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Cars
    E30 Turbo, E39 530d Tour
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich8 View Post
    I have a 2000 540iT touring with air bag rear suspension, and about 30 minutes after running, the back of the car sits right down with the wheels right up in the wheel wells. I have had this issue before with other Touring BMW's, and always fixed it with new air bags, but on this car, new air bags didn't fix the problem.
    I exposed all the air line plumbing and sprayed soapy water onto all of them, even the lines going into the pump and the large pipes going to the two reservoirs under the car, and I cannot find any leaks, either with the pump running or the car turned off.
    I tried to look through the other postings on this site, but couldn't find any mention of the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Is there an issue with the pump expelling all the air back into the tank? A malfunction of the electrics rather than the bags, assuming the bags still go back up and therefore aren’t loosing pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    I reckon the pump has to have a one way valve somewhere too no?

My Cars
    '99 E39 M5T
    When i bought my car the SLS was inactive. The air springs were both completely shot and the compressor looked as though it had been submerged in water for some time. I installed new air springs, compressor and shocks. When i replaced the compressor, I noticed the solenoid orings were warn, but installed them anyway. The initial power up and I still didnt have any air... Until after i did a hard reset with the car. It holds air for about three days, then starts going down. I do have new solenoid with orings waiting to go in. Hopefully that resolves my issue.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540iT/6
    I think you’re on to something...