Thread: S54 header removal questions

My Cars
    N/A

S54 header removal questions

Got all the heat shields, x brace, washer reservoir etc out of the way. Have 9 nuts or nut/bolts out. 9 more to go. This is a pain.

Any particular combo of tools makes this go easier and anything else i should remove to get better access?

Also, how many should I expect to be able to get from the top before attempting any from under the car?

The nuts or nuts/bolts come out fairly easily (after soaking them in liquid wrench over night) but getting to them requires that I have at least 2 more joints in my arm and hands half the size.

My Cars
    N/A
    Well. They’re out. Not sure if I had to but ended up doing 2 from underneath since I was already there. Ended up taking most out with a stubby 1/4” along with a couple wobble extenders. Still a pain. Much preferred the valve adjustment over this and I’m not even done.

Anything I should do while the headers are out? Have all winter to tinker with it if I have to and it’s on a lift so no rush.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Sounds like a pain. What engine is this? Installing new headers?

My Cars
    N/A
    S54. Plan was to install barely used oem headers with the integrated cats as mine are going bad. I have a set of supersprints also but not sure I want to mess with it at this point (as I’d either have to just defeat the sensors or weld up a mid pipe with cats or pony up some serious dough for supersprints mid pipe).

Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    Sounds like a pain. What engine is this? Installing new headers?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Ahh, roger that. $$$ adds up quick.

Interested to see how it turns out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I just removed my exhaust manifolds, also. It is a royal pain. Getting off the forward bank first makes the rear removal much easier. I did most from underneath, except the top 4 on the front bank. The easiest stud/nut to access snapped on me so I'll be dealing with that before header install. it's interesting that the head has 24 holes for studs, but BMW only used 16 of them (for the m52tu at least).
    Last edited by Zoupe6; 12-02-2019 at 12:48 PM.

My Cars
    N/A
    Finally got the stud/nut/gasket kit from ECS.

Studs look different and longer. They sent 11127593376

They look a 1/2” longer and have a torx head. My research says they’re out of a 335. Do I care that they are longer? Putting oem headers back in.

My Cars
    N/A
    Decided they’d be a pita to get a nut on with a socket if they’re that much longer. No thick aftermarket flange to take up the diff. Going back I guess.

Any thoughts?

My Cars
    z3
    The N54 studs are a common upgrade. The torx head makes em easier to install, but if you didnt pull any studs out removing the headers, shouldnt need em

Whyd you order studs anyways?

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    N/A
    Had 6-7 studs come out with the nuts, iirc. Figured, why not, replace them all.

Was thinking the extra length may interfere with my socket but I suppose I could use a deeper socket. It’s one of those things where I know it all works with the shorter studs so why mess with it.

My Cars
    z3
    Ah. Well, the longer studs would still fit. It may make it a little more cumbersome weaseling the headers back on but either way would work. I would probably re-use the stock studs myself though. Just cause.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    N/A
    Re-using stock studs it is. Everything should be in on Monday.

I was looking at the headers more closely. How are the 6 flanges attached to the header? I’m not seeing any telltale signs of a weld but they must be welded, right?

My Cars
    N/A
    I was curious about the longer studs so decided to try one on one of the easier to access areas but the thing won’t thread at all. Wasn’t going to force it. The short stud goes in but not the longer one.

So 07129900298 fits
    But 11127593376 doesn’t fit

That seems odd.