Thread: Have i ruined the driver seats electrics?

My Cars
    Opel, Chevrolet

Have i ruined the driver seats electrics?

So my seats are out of the car. I was adjusting the seats with a external power supply. Suddenly driver side seat stopped working and it blows the fuse in my power supply when i connect it to the 2 big main power pins on the seat connector.
    I think that i might have touched the small signal pin* next to the power pin with 12v when i tried to adjust the seat. Have i possibly ruined the electronics if i touched the signal pin? Or will the electronics reset when the seat gets back in the car?

*the pin that is missing on the passenger side due to no memory funktion there

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by A.Tobin; 12-01-2019 at 03:17 AM.

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    You probably blew the fuse under the hood in the e box.

My Cars
    1997 E38 740iL
    The seats are out of the car, not connected to the car at all? If I am understanding correctly.

I would try setting them back into the car and going from there, since I am new to these designs. Wish I could help more but again I know nothing other than what I would try as much of a PITA that twould be. It does not sound good to me.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Since you were doing a Bench Test (no pun intended) and it blew the fuse on your bench power supply, it has exceeded the current rating of the fuse by a LOT. 90% of the time, this is due to a stalled motor ("ramps" up to blow the fuse). The other 10% is due to a dead short (instant blown fuse).

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...driver/beaiJeb

Fuse F15 (30A) supplies power to all of the motors directly and to the SM/LSM (Seat steering adjustment) Control Unit on Pin 25 (Connector X653, Red/Brown). Pin 24 is Ground (Brown). Pin 2 is P-Bus (for Peripherals) communication (Blue/Red). Signal outputs to motors are pins 15, 18, 19, 20 and 21. All signal pins supply 12v+ when their respective switches are activated.

I'm gonna take a guess and say that you accidentally dead shorted power to ground, which popped the fuse in your bench supply. The fuse did its job. With how small these pins are (smaller than GM Metripack 150), it wouldn't be hard to short out by accident. Disconnect everything from the Bench Supply and try it in your car again as AphroditeDufour suggested

Connector Pinout is here:
    https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e38-740i-lim/ZDaUmKg

At the end of the day, each adjustment is just a polarity reversing DC Motor, no different than the power window motors. The only difference here is HOW it turns switch inputs into the appropriate actions.
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    Opel, Chevrolet
    Thanks guys. I will get the seat back in the car and give that a try

My Cars
    Opel, Chevrolet
    Thanks guys. I will get the seat back in the car and give that a try