BMW of Bloomfield

Thread: WTT: 1997 pre-vanos 540i 6mt

My Cars
    328i

WTT: 1997 pre-vanos 540i 6mt

To get it out of the way...the paint sucks, the tint sucks, the rear window and sunroof regulators suck/broke, the dash pixels suck, it has a number of typical E39 quirks. There's a crack in the windshield that really sucks if you're 5'4". The driver's seat has a couple tears in it, the passenger seat has one small tear in it. It has a ghetto'ed dual exhaust that does sound awesome but needs some welding up by the catalytic converters. It needs the right rear ABS sensor replaced...it's causing the speedometer to go wonky on deceleration which throws the trifecta. The front rotors cause a shimmy under braking because they're cheap cross drilled/slotted things. It was in a wreck at some point which damaged the radiator support which keeps the driver's side hood latch from hood-latching...I have another support that goes with it. It needs O2 sensor wiring repaired because after I finally got the things working a piece of road debris took one out (wires are dangling). It has a lot of miles (276k) because the first owner tried to drive it to the moon.

It has a new intermediate support/bearing, guibo, front upper/lower control arms, motor mounts, oil, filters, coolant. Comes with a couple filters. It has facelift headlights with Murano bi-xenon modules installed and functioning...the halogen high beam is still there and working because I want the world flooded with light when I hit the switch. Facelift LED tail lights. Most of the interior lighting has been converted to LED. Complete 5-piece set of BBS RC090/Style 5 wheels with tires that have about 2000 miles on them. The car starts up great, runs great, the transmission shifts great. The AC works good, the heat works good, and the cold weather package stuff works good. I drove the car from Lubbock to San Marcos and back last year and outside of a window regulator crapping out it gave me no trouble whatsoever...ran smooth and cold the entire way.

I really enjoy driving the car but I hate working on it...I bought it to tinker with but I have found that when I have tinker time I'm going to work on my bikes or buggies. I don't "need" a second car, 95% of the time when I'm out driving I have three kids and a wife with me, so it just sits. I will hate to see it go but I hate seeing it sit.

I'm not a negotiator or haggler. $2200 is the bottom. However, I would rather trade the car for something missus can drive...looking at late model Pontiac Grand Prixs or Bonnevilles or mid-00's Altimas are the cars we've had and are familiar and comfortable with. Will entertain others...would be interested in lower trim 5-series. Needs to be titled, automatic, safe to drive, AC must work. I'm not selling a gem here, and I'm not expecting a gem in return, but it must meet those criteria...might make sacrifices for a Caprice/Roadmaster wagon .

Located in Lubbock, TX.

Link to complete album: https://imgur.com/a/2sUH08A

Last edited by makenzie71; 08-03-2020 at 09:13 AM.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    You forgot to add:

"... It has the typical non-painted eBay M Bumper that matches beautifully with the rust on the hood and all the other imperfections..."

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    328i
    There is ZERO rust on the hood. There's actually no rust anywhere on the car. The places where the paint has been abraded off I've coated to prevent it...but this is Texas. Getting anything greater than a light coating of surface oxidation just doesn't happen here unless you're right on the coast.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Ahhh gotcha. That makes sense. I was just being cheeky. Good luck with the sale. I'm sure this will make some college student who doesn't date much very happy.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk
    Instagram: ​Ethirtynine

2003 M5 Sterling Grey
    (Weekend Fun)
    2002 540iA Schwartz Black (SOLD at 230K)
    1999 528iTA Titanium Silver
    (SOLD at 200K)

2003 530i/5 Titanium Silver (SOLD at 122K)
    2002 530iA Sterling Grey (SOLD at 156K)
    1997 528i Aspen Silver (SOLD at 269K)

My Cars
    328i
    No worries...the hood looks like it does because we were doing a Jackson Pollock style art project with the kids . Make no mistake, the paint sucks...like all over the car the paint sucks. I'm not a huge fan of the bumper it's what I had on hand when the original came off (previous owner/s had it tied up with wire :/ )