Thread: Contemplating GT Wagon

My Cars
    07 xi wagon

Contemplating GT Wagon

Hey, I am new to this forum and would like your opinion on upgrading I have a 07 Wagon 530 Xi straight six engine. Recently my wife has been thinking of trading her Pathfinder in for a 650 Gt wagon I’m not sure wich engine iis in the 650 gt. I’m leaning towards the 3017 gt wagon $ wise i already pit 3k in mine and don’t want a money pit overtime looking for some feedback. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TTTXGreg View Post
    All used BMW's require a DIYer! Whether it be major or minor repairs, they will break your wallet. I have restored and rebuilt several 850's. They are no more expensive for parts, but the car is so electronically complicated, it requires a bit of knowledge and experience to maintain. I can never stress enough, preventative maintenance is the key, don't wait until it breaks.
    Now to answer original question- Which 5 series is the most desireable. I was trolling eBay and other sites and ran across a 2006 E61 wagon. Did the research of what problems are associated with E61 from 2004 to 2010. I found the N52, 2006/2007 models were most desirable to me. Since the 2006 purchased 3 years ago, I have purchased a 2007 last year with sport package and some other options I was looking for. Fell in love with the cars and just purchased my third one- 2007 530xiT sport loaded as well.
    Now what to expect-
    #1- water pump/thermostat, this is a failure that will stop you in your tracks suddenly on the side of the road. Worth changing at 105k. The 2006 failed at 105,900., the 2007 failed at 147k, the new to me 2007 will get a water pump next week. It has 115k. Piece of mind!
    #2- Service the transmission/filter.
    #3- Check all the belt tensioners and belt as well as all hoses, etc.
    #4- Make sure battery is healthy- lots of Gremlins come out of nowhere. This has been my experience many times on all models. 5 year or older battery might test good but will raise hell on the car.
    #5- Replace all struts and shocks. You will definitely appreciate the "new" ride. Drive it like you stole it!
    #6- Remember its a love/hate relationship!! Requires patience at times.

So, IMO- I suggest look for a 2006-2007 N52 5 Series. Motor problems are just one of the pitfalls of the newer ones. All of this is my opinion only.
    Hope it helps.

Used BMW's out of warranty are cheap, but expect to invest the few thousand to bring the car up for another 100-130k miles and very dependable.
    One last experience- If you don't hand wash them with a little rubbing, they feel neglected and will bite you!!
    Attachment 629409 All genuine OEM BBS wheels. Kinda proud of those. The staggered on the grey one also fit the E31 850. I put the Rondells back on it.
    Attachment 629415

My Cars
    I know this is a personal opinion, but the GT model is the ugliest car BMW has ever built. Ranks pretty close to the Pontiac Aztek.

If you're buying something used, or planning on keeping it for awhile, including after the warranty period, don't get anything with a V8. $3k is nothing on those engines. More like $3k/year.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    07 xi wagon
    *2017 , Ya I haven’t test drove one or Sean it up close but it does not look anything like my O7 wagon . I do need something with some room though what are you’re thoughts on the M6 I think that has four doors and comes with a straight six turbo configuration / options ?

My Cars
    There is no M6 with a straight six turbo.

The M6 gran coupe has four doors, but has a hyper tuned version of the piece of crap N63 V8. If you're looking for 4 doors, roomy, and not a money pit, look at a 540, 640 gran coupe, or 740.

I hate to say it, but the GT model, as ugly as it is, is fairly roomy on the inside. Maybe that's the appeal. I just couldn't drive something that hideous just because it has a little extra room over a regular sedan. It probably has more space than a 5 series, but not much over a 6 or 7. You're just going to have to look at them in person and see how you feel and what you like.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    The X3M looks like fun.