Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading headlights on 1996 e38 H1 bulb

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    What do you think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyP1rHoHnN0

Is the mormoto any good? All the technicals, pattern etc...

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    I posted a few pictures of the swap I did last year: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post30166757

Beam pattern for low beam is definitely better than stock and they're a bit brighter too. Once I got all of the aiming dialed in, the high beams make the stock ones look like candles.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChrysler View Post
    What do you think about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyP1rHoHnN0

Is the mormoto any good? All the technicals, pattern etc...
    That's Edwin, he was a long-time member of the E38 forums - and he did a write up on this bi-Xenon conversion - not for the faint-hearted if I remember correctly!
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
    I posted a few pictures of the swap I did last year: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...7#post30166757

Beam pattern for low beam is definitely better than stock and they're a bit brighter too. Once I got all of the aiming dialed in, the high beams make the stock ones look like candles.
    It looks at least 10 times brighter than my lights.
    You did the mod on the facelift lights, would it be the same for the glass lights?

On the picture where you demonstrate their brightness it seems that the light starts far away from the car.

I think that I will go with this mod if someone confirms that it will fit the glass headlight.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by MrChrysler View Post
    It looks at least 10 times brighter than my lights.
    You did the mod on the facelift lights, would it be the same for the glass lights?

On the picture where you demonstrate their brightness it seems that the light starts far away from the car.

I think that I will go with this mod if someone confirms that it will fit the glass headlight.
    Brightness is hard to judge in pictures, but they definitely put out more light where you want it than the stock projectors did. As far as I know, the pre-facelift lights use the same projectors for the HID ones, so the swap should be the same.

For the dead zone in front of the car, it's maybe 6 - 8 feet from the bumper, so not anywhere you need to see anyway. Not really noticeable when driving. My driveway isn't quite flat, so it looks like a bigger gap in the picture (ground slopes down in front of the car a bit).

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    Now I am thinking what is a better option.

1. Buy original glass xenon's for 150 pounds, and then spend another 50 pounds repering projector reflective surface by sending it off for a vacuum respray.

2. Getting the morimoto set for about 220 pounds plus 80 ponds tax because us-uk delivery.

3. Are there any similarly good projectors sold in the UK? I would like not to pay political tax if possible.
    Last edited by MrChrysler; 11-27-2019 at 06:27 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    There are plenty of other good projectors you could use. Might be worth doing some research on hidplanet or other forums that do a lot with headlight upgrades. I used the mini H1s simply because of the mounting kit to make them bolt into the lights easily. They're not the best out there, but they're good enough that I couldn't justify the extra work to make something else fit.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740i
    For projectors, The Retrofit Source sells a kit to put the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 in place of the stock Bosch low beam projector without having to custom make any mounts or anything. And they're a 2.5" lens projector like stock, so looking at the light from outside, you can barely tell anything was modified (and without having a stock light to compare to, you'd probably never notice). The 2.5" version of the FX-R projector will fit as well, but you'd have to make mounts. 3" projectors will be a tougher fit with the inner lenses, but it's possible.
    Is this what you're referring to? https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...-bi-xenon.html

I didn't see an E38 specific application.
    2000 BMW 740i build
    Oxford Green II | Sand Beige | Sport Package

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    There are plenty of other good projectors you could use. Might be worth doing some research on hidplanet or other forums that do a lot with headlight upgrades. I used the mini H1s simply because of the mounting kit to make them bolt into the lights easily. They're not the best out there, but they're good enough that I couldn't justify the extra work to make something else fit.
    Do you know any specific ones that could also fit without too much hassle?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathKing View Post
    Is this what you're referring to? https://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...-bi-xenon.html

I am refering to this:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Morimoto-...ecde%7Ciid%3A1

I am not sure if someone put this kit together on ebay, or is authorised morimoto dealer on ebay.
    With international fees it works out to be 311 US dollars or 240 pounds.
    Last edited by MrChrysler; 11-27-2019 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathKing View Post

Yup, that's exactly the kit I used. Other than a little shimming of the mounts to get the projectors and high beams aligned perfectly, it was an easy bolt in. The stock BMW HID ballasts (which are the well-regarded Hella Gen 3) work fine with the new setup, just with an adapter for the different bulb connectors.
    Last edited by rslifkin; 11-27-2019 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    Guys, give me some advice.

I think that I want to do it legally in the UK.

The law in the UK is saying, and I will summarise.
    1. You cannot use HID bulbs in a halogen or reflector housing, because they can create glare.
    2. You can use HID bulb with appropriate HID projector.
    3. HID bulbs can only be used if the headlamp came as approved HID headlamp and is e-mark, otherwise approved in Europe.

So, I can fit new projector in HID headlight. I cannot fit it in halogen headlight.
    What is the difference honestly?

The picture shows e38 HID lamp, and it appears that the e-mark is on the glass. Also the part number on realoem website is the same for halogen and Xenon. The part that is different is the plastic housing, although that seems to have a sticker showing e-mark.

Attachment 662750
    What happens when you replace the glass or the plastic casing for one that doesn't have e-mark on it? Does it make it not road legal anymore?

What if I keep my headlamp, change the projector to HID. Is there a way to tell or prove that this is not a road legal HID lamp? I can always say that plactic casing and the lens has been replaced because they've been cracked. The law does not say that I cannot fix the headlamp like that.
    Last edited by MrChrysler; 11-28-2019 at 06:10 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    For the sake of clarity, I am using a 4/1996 build RHD car with M62 Engine (GF82 chassis designation) for this example, all parts are associated with the LEFT headlight

Left headlight housing, Halogen: 63128361275
    Left headlight housing, Xenon: 63128361285
    The reflector/projector frame (AKA Lamp insert) is different between Halogen and Xenon.
    Internal harness is different (due to Igniter and Ballast Control Module)

The lens (AKA cover glass) is the same for both Halogen and Xenon.
    Lens Support is the same

More info is available on http://www.RealOEM.com

Perhaps it would help is someone dissected one of each headlight and took some measurements? But to me, it seems like a LOT of effort and futzing around to do a retrofit into existing housings when the correct parts are readily available and already meet the legal requirements because BMW already jumped all of the hoops in the early 1990s.

E-mark means that it is approved for use in ECE-Compliant regions. A number will follow it, which says what country it is made for.
    E1 is Germany, E2 is France, etc. Even though the UK and Japan are both RHD and ECE Compliant regions, they are marked differently for MOT or Shaken inspections. More info is here: https://www.truckelectrics.com/blogs...is-e1-the-best

My advice is to just get some factory pre-facelift RHD Xenon housings. Leave the experimenting for after.
    2001 740I M62TUB44: Iris, My daily
    1997 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L 4x4: Onyx, the 315k mile tow rig

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverIris View Post
    For the sake of clarity, I am using a 4/1996 build RHD car with M62 Engine (GF82 chassis designation) for this example, all parts are associated with the LEFT headlight

Left headlight housing, Halogen: 63128361275
    Left headlight housing, Xenon: 63128361285
    The reflector/projector frame (AKA Lamp insert) is different between Halogen and Xenon.
    Internal harness is different (due to Igniter and Ballast Control Module)

The lens (AKA cover glass) is the same for both Halogen and Xenon.
    Lens Support is the same

More info is available on http://www.RealOEM.com

Perhaps it would help is someone dissected one of each headlight and took some measurements? But to me, it seems like a LOT of effort and futzing around to do a retrofit into existing housings when the correct parts are readily available and already meet the legal requirements because BMW already jumped all of the hoops in the early 1990s.

E-mark means that it is approved for use in ECE-Compliant regions. A number will follow it, which says what country it is made for.
    E1 is Germany, E2 is France, etc. Even though the UK and Japan are both RHD and ECE Compliant regions, they are marked differently for MOT or Shaken inspections. More info is here: https://www.truckelectrics.com/blogs...is-e1-the-best

My advice is to just get some factory pre-facelift RHD Xenon housings. Leave the experimenting for after.
    Yea, harness and extra accessories must be different for HIDs as they are different bulb etc.
    The reflector/projector have a different part number just because it comes as a set. Its attached to a projector. However frame on its own looks identical to me.
    E1 mark appears on all e38 headlights in the UK.

The law is just stupid. I can modify existing hids, I cannot modify halogen to become hids knowing that its the projector that distributes light.

Anyway, I have ordered pre-facelift xenons for bargain price.

1. Does anyone know good and cheap place in the UK that does headlamp metalization? I ll bet that they are burned out.
    2. Or, should i put aftermarket projector in?

I wonder how good the light was on brand new HID headlamps.

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/Headli...t_Cleaning.htm

Appears that Timm used a rinsing solution for electronics. I can't tell what brand, so you may want to ask him for more info.

Chances are that your new housings are probably fine. But if all else fails, I did find this thread:
    https://forums.aaca.org/topic/301595...g-who-does-it/

One place in Toledo, Ohio and the other in Romulus, Michigan. I know it's a but further than you probably want to ship them, but if they're reputable enough for people to take Ford Model T headlight restoration, I think they're up to scratch for this.

My 740i's Xenon lights are probably pretty close to new as realistically possible for a 2001 model. I'll get a few pics tonight as a baseline for comparison.

My Cars
    wish it was 1 of each
    Quote Originally Posted by asianvenom View Post
    I got a pair of oem hid headlight in good condition, including oem ballast can let go for 150+shipping, pm if you're interested.

Nevermind I just noticed you're from the UK, shipping is going to kill it.
    Would you be able and send me a PM with pictures of what you have? I'm having the same issue and would prefer to go the OEM route instead. Thanks.

My Cars
    00 750IL, 01 740IL
    Quote Originally Posted by inkacola View Post
    Would you be able and send me a PM with pictures of what you have? I'm having the same issue and would prefer to go the OEM route instead. Thanks.
    PM sent.

What I would do is disassemble it and clean the projector lense real well, install new filament and see if you're satisfied, if not power it with a 55w ballast, if you're still not satisfied at that point, then go retro. I did retro my e38 with oem e46 projectors with clear lense, the other i retrofitted with EvoXR projectors. Overall the evoxr had a better output/cutoff/color.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1997 E38 740iL
    I started watching this guy and have saved a lot of time and saved a lot of money experimenting, he does sell to sooo... take it for what it is worth but his info does work.
    -BK

https://youtu.be/DeaDrH0gXZk

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    DUDE! Why aren't we funding this?? Awesome info Brandi. The RX7Club did something similar years ago with H6054 headlight housings, doing a photographic comparison between normal H6054s, Ebay "diamond cut" H4 retrofit housings, Autopal housings and Autopal housings retrofitted with a HID projector. Based on that, my uncle's C4 Corvette has Autopal housings now.

Glad to see other people have the idea of logging real-world data on the various bulb options

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    Guys I received set of xenon's today and instantly dissembled them. Just like predicted the projectors are shady where the main beam is projected.
    Unfortunately the lens is permanently attached to the housing, which means that I would need to drill it out and then do retro fit of the lens.

Should I go retro or send my old new lenses for new coating?
    I am interested wherever the original would provide more light as new, or something else.

Here is the best picture I got.

IMG_20191208_022124.jpg

Its sad but it's true that Xenon projectors loose their light output in less than 100k miles. Not because of the bulb loosing power but because the projector starts giving up. It happened on my two facelift models, it happened on this one to. The projectors just don't last. It seems that all you can do is to send them off for metalization, or retro fit. Changing bulb in this case gives nothing, adding 50W ballast only worsens the problem. The shady colour is burned coating, its 100% not dirty.

It seems that adding a fan inside the headlamp for air circulation might be a good idea.

Watch this video to see the difference of the same shady projector and new. The guy put two exactly the same (new bulbs).
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZh6C1cgmA
    Last edited by MrChrysler; 12-07-2019 at 09:52 PM.

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport
    I'm not sure if a fan would help. It depends on whether the factory coating is degrading due to heat or due to UV light from the HID bulbs.

Personally, with faded projectors, I'd just get a set of different (ideally bixenon) projectors and put them into the stock housings. It should be not much more expensive than fixing the stock projectors (if any more) and will give as good or better low beams depending on what you put in. And if you go bixenon, then you get quad high beams (projectors plus halogen) which are much better than the halogens alone.

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    I'm not sure if a fan would help. It depends on whether the factory coating is degrading due to heat or due to UV light from the HID bulbs.

Personally, with faded projectors, I'd just get a set of different (ideally bixenon) projectors and put them into the stock housings. It should be not much more expensive than fixing the stock projectors (if any more) and will give as good or better low beams depending on what you put in. And if you go bixenon, then you get quad high beams (projectors plus halogen) which are much better than the halogens alone.

Projector is aluminium coated. This is what I found on the internet.
    "Aluminium is resistant to UV radiation. Long periods of storage and use under exposure to UV radiation has no effect on this material."

Unfortunately it's the heat that kills the Projectors. The more shady the projector gets the more heat it absorbs, the more damage is done.

I found a few places in Poland. They charge from 7-10 pounds (10-12 dollars) per piece.
    I just wish that there were some places in the UK that do that, I only found one, and they charge like 40 pounds per piece.

After rematalization I ll get some thermal pads and a heatsink like this. The projectors are square on top and the bottom, so it should be an easy installation.
    heatsink.png

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    It seems that both Silver and Aluminum are used for headlight reflectors/projectors. Based on aluminum's heat characteristics, one would think Aluminum would endure just fine in a Xenon projector. After all, cylinder heads and radiators are made of aluminum and face considerably higher temperatures than a headlight projector would realistically encounter. The reflective surface being delaminated in such a way suggests failure of the surface's base material (some type of plastic, maybe ABS?).

Here's a shop in the UK that restores headlights for antique cars: https://vintage-headlamp-restoration.co.uk/

If it's good enough for a restored 1920s Bugatti, I think they're more than capable for this job.

My Cars
    BMW e38 735i 1997
    I sent them away. I also compared them against halogens with brightest Osram H1 bulb on the market.
    How they compare? Surprisingly poorly. The halogen is at least twice as bright as the HID. It should be definitively the other way around. It's weird because the projectors are only slightly discoloured.

Here are some pictures of the projector:
    IMG_20191211_221814.jpgIMG_20191210_222544.jpg
    Last edited by MrChrysler; 12-11-2019 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    1997 E38 750i Individual
    lmfao….several weeks ago I already gave you the answer to all of this. I even sent you a PM with a low cost offer, no reply...
    Now you try to re-event the wheel at high costs, why?
    I don't get it but if you have the money to spend it please do so. I have already solved this problem long time ago but apparently experience is not being appreciated here.

Evox-R 2.0 bi-xenon+ E55 shroud.jpg

My Cars
    2001 740i E38
    Care to share the details of this solution you proposed? Outside of re-plating the projectors/reflectors, or replacing the affected parts, it's rather difficult to see any other viable solution.

With a failing halogen setup, it seemed like the perfect time to retrofit a factory Xenon system. But if you have a better idea, I'm all ears.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast