RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Peugeot 3008 vti 1.6 2012 engine problems

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008

Question Peugeot 3008 vti 1.6 2012 engine problems

It all has started few months ago when my wife was driving from work and oil cap was blewn off. She got engine light on, but we bought new cap and light went off. Problem is she drow the car for few KMs to get home and the engine was full of oil that was blown out of machine. They said that the problem was because my father in law didnt tighten the cap when he put some oil in machine. But the thing is I was beside him when he did that and I saw that he tightened it. This is not like bottle when you half tighten it, its oil cap, you tighten it and than check it once more if its tighten.
    But well it blew of, machine was full of oil and the first problems started. Engine light on, took it to repair shop and they changed all 4 spark plugs because they said that the problem was with spark plugs when oil went into them. They also asked us if we want to change all 4 coils but since we are selling car, we told them to change only one, that was bad... and believe it or not, next day 2nd coil went bad too, week later when we were driving home the 3rd one went bad. The problem was we had to drove for like 80km to get home and engine was hiccupsing but we got home, and we changed the rest of coils (3rd and 4th).
    And here is where the problems started. Since they changed all spark plugs and first coil, the engine was hiccuping (not sure if its the right word to describe it. It feels like it loses the power for a milisecond and it shakes the car.). I noticed that and next day when we took the car to repair shop they changed the 2nd coil but it didnt help. Since then we had it to 3 different shops and they cant find the problem. engine warning light is OFF, but the engine is hiccuping from 1000-2000 rpm. Lower and higher RPMs than that dont show any sign of problems. When the engine is cold its not hiccuping like when its hot. I also noticed that when is under high load when aceleratin, especialy when acelerating in hill, its hiccups all the time betwen 1000 and 2000 rpm. I also noticed if my tank is bellow half full, especialy 1/4 full, it will hiccup more. That didnt do before we didnt have problems.
    So I took to a car shop, they connected it to tester and it shown a problem in one of two valves on engine. So the guy changed the front valve (he said there is another one in the back of machine and is hard to get to it), the machine was running good for half a day. By that I mean it was hiccuping only once in a while between 1000 and 2000, maybe twice in half a day. And than it started again to hiccup, but now is also a problem that when I drive on 4000rpm, the engine starts to decelerate, like its going into safe mode. Lucky for me I had obd2 connected to car and in time when on 4000rpm the engine started to decelerate even tough my leg was fully pressing the pedal, and the short term fuel trim was almoust +30%.
    So I was doing some reading on internet and I found out that it could be many thing. But I would like to know if someone can tell me, by reading obd2 live data (posted down bellow), and all the signs that I told, where could be the problem because our car repair shops cant find the problems and Im miserable as f***

Ill post you here the links of screenshots and videos of the live data on obd2:
    There are two videos:
    - The first one is while driving. You will notice on 1:55 the short term fuel trim on bank 1 will get alot higher. Dont be mad because I scrolled screen up and down, I did that so I can fast notice (marked) all the times my engined starts to decelerate (1:55) or hiccup on 4000 rpm (12:55, 13:55, 14:15, 14:50,).

- 2nd video is video of live obd2 data while is car cold and its getting hotter.

- and few more photos. Not sure if it will help you with anything but I took screenshoot of it. If you want more photos of those reading let me know
    Maybe you will have to open in new tab those images. They are uploaded on ibb.co.

Id like to thank you again for any help!
    Last edited by vanJERMAN; 11-25-2019 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Forgot something to write

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well I do know that BMW and Peugeot shared the N-42/46 motor production back in 2002-2007, I didn't know that it had continued with the N-13, if this is the motor that you have from PSA.

So anytime a oil cap is being pushed off, that would tell me excessive pressure in the motor, which can come from two places:
    1) Excessive blow-by on the rings.
    2) Blocked or clogged CCV/PCV system.

Also the short term fuel trim (STFT) will always be bouncing around between -30 to +30 percent as you accelerate or decelerate and load on the engine. I would be more worried about the long term fuel trim (LTFT) if it get outside of the -10 to +10 percent, or they STFT stays at a percent for an extended period of time, a minute or longer.

Good luck with the 308, as I hope this helps.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    Welcome to the Forum!

Well I do know that BMW and Peugeot shared the N-42/46 motor production back in 2002-2007, I didn't know that it had continued with the N-13, if this is the motor that you have from PSA.

So anytime a oil cap is being pushed off, that would tell me excessive pressure in the motor, which can come from two places:

Also the short term fuel trim (STFT) will always be bouncing around between -30 to +30 percent as you accelerate or decelerate and load on the engine. I would be more worried about the long term fuel trim (LTFT) if it get outside of the -10 to +10 percent, or they STFT stays at a percent for an extended period of time, a minute or longer.

Hello thank you for your quick answer!
    Im not sure who made the engine but few people in car shops said “oh the bmw engine” so I assume its bmw who made it but Im not 100 sure. They also tell me every time I mention this car “ohh boy, sell it” or “ouuu this car” etc. 😅 haha
    My ltft is allways 0. Never saw it go of 0. My stft is only that high when it bounces the car (shakes).
    About PCV they said something about some valve but Im not sure where to find it. You maybe know where is the location of PCV valve on this machine or maybe how do I test it if it works correctly?
    Thank you!
    Erik

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    Welcome to the Forum!

There is also some weird ratle sound from where the injectory are. What do you think about time chain sound? Anything weird in this video: https://youtu.be/ELYurE1re-0
    Engine is at 50°C
    Last edited by vanJERMAN; 11-25-2019 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Something forgot to write

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Well the N-13 motor is known for breaking the timing chain guides and such, so I would have a look at that too.

The CCV (Crank Case Ventilation) or PCV (Positive crankcase ventilation) is built into the valve cover on the N-13 motor, if that is what you are asking. However there is a test that can be conducted to see if it is still working properly, and it uses a tool called a slack tube nanometer. What is does is check to see how much vacuum is in the crank case, which normally should be 3 to 6 inches of water.

Something else come to mind, is there any excessive amounts of oil deposit on the outside of the motor, like leaking gaskets? I am also thinking that there maybe an issue with the vacuum pump too if this is correct.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    Here is also when is engine at normal working temperature: https://youtu.be/WVWz7apQZ2A
    And while puting gas if it helps with something : https://youtu.be/a3zpX-IETY8
    And sound comming from right front wheel: https://youtu.be/RXF_VCfvaMc

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    Interesting 🤔
    All I can see that is oily are those three things on video ill paste the link under
    https://youtu.be/zrjyNwM11uQ

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am guessing that this is cell phone video, so it can be hard to tell between all the other noises going on.

What I can hear is the typical DI (Direct Injection) noise. What else is an issue with DI is the intake valve can become dirty, thus causing misfires while driving.

How many KM's on this motor?

- - - Updated - - -

I am guessing that this is cell phone video, so it can be hard to tell between all the other noises going on.

What I can hear is the typical DI (Direct Injection) noise. What else is an issue with DI is the intake valve can become dirty, thus causing misfires while driving.

How many KM's on this motor?
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    108’000km.
    Its possible to clean that valve?
    This is a valve somewhere around injector?
    Misfire during driving is problem but only betwen 1000 and 2000rpm. Can this be caused by this dirty valve?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The CCV is not serviceable is that is what you are asking. What I am worried about is the oil cap getting blown off, this too can cause misfires and such.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    The CCV is not serviceable is that is what you are asking. What I am worried about is the oil cap getting blown off, this too can cause misfires and such.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    So you said this two thing can do this:
    2) Blocked or clogged CCV/PCV system
    is this DI intake valve in CCV or PCV system?
    sorry but Im really noob about cars, Im just learning about them with everyday problems Im meeting

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Not sure what you are asking so let me explain a bit more.

DI or direct injection is not the typical injection system. The injector is like the spark plug, it is placed inside the head, where traditional injection is place inside the running rails of the intake of multi-port style. The trouble with DI is it sprays fuel directly into the combustion chamber, and not in the intake steam. With this, the intake valves are not getting cleaned by fuel as the valve opens up, and as such with the CCV, it will start to get carbon build-up. As carbon builds up, this starts to cause running issues as the air isn't entering the combustion chamber properly. I hope this isn't too confusing as the technology has only been out for about 15 years now so it has problems.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    Okei understand it thank you!
    Do you think that its possible, if carbon builds up, that can blow oil cap of?

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    No, as that would mean the one-way valve in the CCV is bad, but even with that it wouldn't build up enough pressure to blow an oil cap off.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    No, as that would mean the one-way valve in the CCV is bad, but even with that it wouldn't build up enough pressure to blow an oil cap off.
    So I took it to official service and they changed vvt valve and now at 4000 rpm it wont misfire and go into safe mode. But still from 1000-2000 rpm its hiccuping and they dont know what is the problem. This is becoming ridiculous. Im giving up on this car

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Has the timing chain been replaced yet?

Those motor are known for stretching the chain, and eating the timing chain guides, it is one of many problems with that engine.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    No.
    Ill tell them to check it.
    Its funny how incompetent this original servis in my country is. I have to tell them what to do. When they are about to change something they say that it shows this error on tester but they wont guarantee that it will work.
    And after they change it, it still hiccups between 1000 and 2000 rpm, and they say, its normal for this machines to do that..... how the f*** is this normal if its annoying and constantly doing it. Weirdos 😅
    Hope its timing chain!

My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    My son has a 2015 114i with the N-13 motor, and it missed the cut-off by about a month as it was built in 01/2015. In 03/2015 they dropped the newer motor in that doesn't have the timing chain issue, so I have something to look forward to in the upcoming years. As the car only has 45k km, it can be as early as 60k, but as long as 100k depending on how it is driven, the maintenance completed, ect.

So I feel your pain, as some shops are more apt to sell a bill of goods instead of looking for the problem. We have become accustom to looking at codes, then replacing the parts in the codes, and wondering why that didn't fix the problem.
    Darin
    Current:
    Past:
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    Peugeot 3008
    I live in a corrupted country where only fast and perfect thing they do on official servis, is money taking.
    2 days ago I put some injector cleaner liquid in fuel tank (which was less than 15 liter full) and guess what... the problem magically disappeared. Or we could say, its not so much visible. It hiccups once a while every 20km. So does this mean its problem with injectors?
    But now there is a problem again with 4000rpm hiccup and safe mode. Which was not there before that.