Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I take the plunge into 8-series Ownership?

My Cars
    Le Mans Blue e39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by olinjohnston View Post
    Very different here. California (especially SoCal) is a haven for car lovers, especially old BMWs. They sell very easily. Part of it is that you can legally drive anything you want (in any condition) as long as it passes emissions. No state inspections, registration is comparatively cheap, insurance is cheap, and parts are readily available.
    God, I miss California. You can have 3 wheels, 2 tires, no brakes, no doors... but as long as you don't have a CEL and you pass the emissions you're all set.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1985 M635CSI, 1992 850i
    8 Large is just too much for an E31 with 175k on it. Unless, of course, it’s a CSI.
    I’d take a look at the car and see if the guy has a complete list of what he’s had done to it.
    Has it been garaged? Does it need bodywork? How about paint? Does it have a rebuilt motor?
    Lastly, what color is it? Is there anything especially noteworthy about it?
    IMHO if it doesn’t already have a new/rebuilt engine, or if it needs bodywork or paint, you should pass on it and spend 8k on one with lower miles. If it looks nice and is drivable, great, but be prepared to become a serious tinkerer to figure out how an 8 series does what it does.

My Cars
    1991 320i M-Tech II
    Quote Originally Posted by sreten View Post
    God, I miss California. You can have 3 wheels, 2 tires, no brakes, no doors... but as long as you don't have a CEL and you pass the emissions you're all set.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Believe me, it's not so good here. None of my cars are even ALLOWED to try the smog test because they are all Japan imports. All of the other 49 states (aside from Hawaii, so 48, actually) don't require anything additional to be done, but CA has stupid CARB laws that are completely archaic and only has to do with scamming CA citizens out of more money. Most of the other states don't even do any inspection or smog on a 25 year old car. Can't wait until I can move out of this state.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stantz View Post
    8 Large is just too much for an E31 with 175k on it. Unless, of course, it’s a CSI.
    I’d take a look at the car and see if the guy has a complete list of what he’s had done to it.
    Has it been garaged? Does it need bodywork? How about paint? Does it have a rebuilt motor?
    Lastly, what color is it? Is there anything especially noteworthy about it?
    IMHO if it doesn’t already have a new/rebuilt engine, or if it needs bodywork or paint, you should pass on it and spend 8k on one with lower miles. If it looks nice and is drivable, great, but be prepared to become a serious tinkerer to figure out how an 8 series does what it does.
    Yeah, I honestly think he just threw that $8k price out there but he hasn't listed it anywhere to my knowledge, just know that he told his neigbhbor/friend he wants to get rid of it, which is how I figure. It is in the green color (not my favorite on the E31) and the paint is supposed to be pretty bad, but he said he's garaged it so I don't know what's the deal with that. I'm probably going to pass on this unless I'm able to see at least 2 of my cars in the next 2 weeks, plus I need to get this probably around the $5k range if it makes any sense. And that's on the presumption that it is at least mechanically sound.
    My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7l...rJvxZHr_00nuhA

Current cars: 1990 Mercedes-Benz 300E, 1991 BMW 320i M-Tech II, 1991 Mitsubish Galant AMG Type II, 1992 Nissan Figaro, 1993 Toyota Chaser Tourer V

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12