Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Highest Mileage BMW Automatic?

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by E28E34 View Post

I wouldn't say this GM automatic is wimpy. Mine has WAY-outlasted my ZF 4-spd auto I had in the 533i (see my earlier comment). My friend, who's a European car mechanic, told me back in 2009 (shortly after I got my 525i), "GM knows how to make an automatic..... (sigh) ZF, eh, not so much. We've seen more issues with ZF autos than GM over the years."

256K mi. is fantastic to get out of an original automatic!
    The "wimpy" characterization was really a swipe at those who dismiss it as inferior. Compared to it's bigger siblings it certainly is but it is well enough suited to a "wimpy" little 6 making modest torque. I'm happy with it's service so far.
    Agreed about GM auto boxes. They were the choice of anyone needing a strong durable unit. Rolls Royce and even Ferrari used them.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    99 528i
    After getting a 98 528i my gm 4l30e isnt feeling very healthy. Not sure what had been done in terms of service prior to me buying it but when I first start it the transmission doesn’t want to shift into second or third at first. Additionally, when it’s gotten past the initial issue it feels strange shifting into third. Almost like a mild misfire or surge for a split second. Either way, it gets me to work for now. Hoping for an easy fix but already changed the fluid, shift solenoids, and tcc solenoid for it to make no difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 525i
    Here to report, purchased my '95 525i automatic sedan in 2012 with 167,000 miles. Changed the transmission fluid and filter shortly after purchase. Now at 275,000 miles, still running strong. I have good records on the car and drive-train is original. I've owned this car far longer than expected, but it just keeps going.
    '95 525i auto. DD purchased Jan 2012 with 167k, now 275k and climbing.

My Cars
    E30/E32/F25
    Purchased a 92 touring 160k with a transmission failsafe issue for my girlfriend to restore, guy replaced the fluid, solenoids, filter, ect. On a guess I threw a transmission computer in it ... expecting it to do nothing, it fixed it. I was very surprised how smoothly that transmission shifts.
    Me E30 87/ 325i + F25 12/ M-Sport + E32 94/ 740i

G/F’s E34 92/ 525iT + F48 18/ X1

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbruton View Post
    After getting a 98 528i my gm 4l30e isnt feeling very healthy. Not sure what had been done in terms of service prior to me buying it but when I first start it the transmission doesn’t want to shift into second or third at first. Additionally, when it’s gotten past the initial issue it feels strange shifting into third. Almost like a mild misfire or surge for a split second. Either way, it gets me to work for now. Hoping for an easy fix but already changed the fluid, shift solenoids, and tcc solenoid for it to make no difference.

I'd open it up and start by cleaning the valve body. If nothing else the fresh fluid ought to improve performance.
    Your shifting may not be that abnormal. I've always found them to feel a bit clumsy(confused perhaps), especially when changing into high gear. I always suspected this is a function of a three speed gearbox with what amounts to an accessory overdrive attached. Perhaps some re-programming would be helpful. I've not investigated that but rather just gotten used to it.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbruton View Post
    Does it do this when cold only? Or also when warm? How many miles?

When I first got mine back at 94K mi. when cold, and going up a long hill, entering a highway, it would hold a lower gear for too long, and higher rpm than I'd like. Still does this, but not as much, since switching to synthetic. My ZF auto in the 533i was not like this. My mechanic told me his E39 528i auto was just like the one in my E34 525i, and his would also hold a lower gear when cold. He said it was to speed-up the warm-up time of the car. He wasn't crazy about it either, but says it's normal.

My Cars
    hiss by my window

When I first got mine back at 94K mi. when cold, and going up a long hill, entering a highway, it would hold a lower gear for too long, and higher rpm than I'd like. Still does this, but not as much, since switching to synthetic. My ZF auto in the 533i was not like this. My mechanic told me his E39 528i auto was just like the one in my E34 525i, and his would also hold a lower gear when cold. He said it was to speed-up the warm-up time of the car. He wasn't crazy about it either, but says it's normal.
    Yes, deliberate late shifts when cold to heat the cats. Not a function of the trans but the engine operating system commanding it. My b28tu with same(4L30E) trans doesn't hold the gears near as long when cold. Seems they found another way to warm the cats aside revving a cold engine.

My Cars
    99 528i

I wouldn’t say when it’s cold necessarily, it’s only when I start it up after it’s been sitting at least a few hours. Maybe below 50F outside. The car has 205000 miles on it. Update, I took it to a transmission shop and they couldn’t seem to find a problem so maybe I’m just crazy lol.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying squirrel View Post
    Here to report, purchased my '95 525i automatic sedan in 2012 with 167,000 miles. Changed the transmission fluid and filter shortly after purchase. Now at 275,000 miles, still running strong. I have good records on the car and drive-train is original. I've owned this car far longer than expected, but it just keeps going.
    That's really impressive for an original automatic! Wow. Yep, those that know these E34 M50s, usually say very good things about durability and longevity. I'd imagine you've changed the ATF and filter since 167K?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by e30luv318i View Post
    Purchased a 92 touring 160k with a transmission failsafe issue for my girlfriend to restore, guy replaced the fluid, solenoids, filter, ect. On a guess I threw a transmission computer in it ... expecting it to do nothing, it fixed it. I was very surprised how smoothly that transmission shifts.
    Agreed. Mine shifts very smoothly 95% of the time.

My Cars
    99 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'd open it up and start by cleaning the valve body. If nothing else the fresh fluid ought to improve performance.
    Your shifting may not be that abnormal. I've always found them to feel a bit clumsy(confused perhaps), especially when changing into high gear. I always suspected this is a function of a three speed gearbox with what amounts to an accessory overdrive attached. Perhaps some re-programming would be helpful. I've not investigated that but rather just gotten used to it.
    Ah, I see. I did a drain and fill and replaced the 2 shift solenoids, as well as the tcc solenoid, and filter. I’m going to drain and fill again soon, as I just got a new epc solenoid and to get more of the old fluid out. This time I’ll go buy a new torque wrench within spec so I can adjust the bands also.

My Cars
    93 525i 84 533i
    Yes, deliberate late shifts when cold to heat the cats. Not a function of the trans but the engine operating system commanding it. My b28tu with same(4L30E) trans doesn't hold the gears near as long when cold. Seems they found another way to warm the cats aside revving a cold engine.
    Interesting. So it's the engine operating system that is responsible. My mechanic said his E39 528i, would hold gears when cold.... guess his car was different. Yeah, I don't like revving a cold engine (over 3K).

My Cars
    some
    I can confirm this is the same even for the ZF 5HP18. Doesn't go from 2nd to 3rd if I'm slowly warming the car up driving at 50km/hr for about 2min/1km. It will if I ask it, but I'm happy to drive slow to warm everything up anyway.
    The difference between that auto and other 4spds I own is the ZF adjusts it's clutches and 'learns', while most other 4 spds need a rebuild if a clutch is slipping, flaring or not changing gears properly.
    After disconnecting my battery I get bad shifting in the e34 ZF 5 spd for a day, then it fixes itself.

In my borg BTR in the ford falcons, or with the commodore GM trans I have to live with the bad shifts or buy a new gearbox...

E: last problem in a BTR 4spd ford falcon it crunched, I had to get a rebuild and 2 years later it hates 3rd and 4th when it's hot. With the gm commodore it was never real good in the first place - a bit of flare.
    When the turbo barra falcon with a ZF 6 spd showed up I think the whole nation was ecstatic.
    Last edited by fo3; 11-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.

My Cars
    '95 525i
    That's really impressive for an original automatic! Wow. Yep, those that know these E34 M50s, usually say very good things about durability and longevity. I'd imagine you've changed the ATF and filter since 167K?
    Actually, I haven't changed it since. I keep an eye out for leaks and occasionally check the level.
    '95 525i auto. DD purchased Jan 2012 with 167k, now 275k and climbing.

My Cars
    E34 535/ E39 540/E46 330
    1991 535i 4 speed ZF 4hp-22. I recently purchased with 244k miles and its almost at 247k miles. It had fresh trans fluid when I bought it, the previous owner did the head gasket but had to get rid of it because of money. He said he had a few E34 535i in the past and had an extra engine and trans so not sure if original trans, rebuilt, etc but it's going strong so far for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Current:
    1991 535iA [Daily]
    2000 540iA [Project // Bad Guides]
    2003 330CiA [Project]

Retired:
    1994 318i5 [Problems -> Part Out]
    2002 530iA [Too many issues]
    2002 Ford Taurus SEL 24V DOHC [No power to wheels]
    2003 Nissan Altima 2.5A [Taken as evidence]
    2002 Toyota Corolla LE [Totaled]

My Cars
    e34 530i
    Frequent AFT changes are the key to long auto transmission service life. I've had my 530i withthe 5HP18 since 2010 and changed the ATF every year when I used the car as the daily drive. Now I barely do 5000km each year but original box and engine working perfectly at 326000Km.
    Impressive car when serviced correctly.

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    The 5hp30 in my 540 made it to ~220k with one fluid and filter change in it's lifetime

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12