Thread: Wireless charging

Wireless charging

I have seen several posts on the subject, but with varying responses. Figured I would ask. Has anyone had issues with their wireless charging system (I have a 2018 M550)? I have an iPhone XS and it appears to work for a few minutes (Blue light) and then it stops (orange light), like clockwork. I have tried it stationary, to eliminate any movement, as well as with the case and without. Same issue. I have tried it with zero apps running, and with several. Same story every time. Dealer said they could not replicate the issue, but I have no problem doing so. It does seem to get a little hot. I'd welcome any and all advice! Thanks!

My Cars
    Wireless charging is hit or miss. Works for some phones, and not others. Same thing happens with some cig lighters and USB chargers. I think it has to do with how much current the charger/phone draws. Many times the control unit in charge of the USB port will shut it off if it draws too much current.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    A $70,000 I-phone charger

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    '09 328i Sdn, '14 535i
    I have an Otter Box Cover and it's a squeeze but when I get it as close to the charging pad as possible, no problem. If you have issues, take off the phone cover.

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    My iPhone 12 fits snugly with the plastic case on it, but I've not had any issues with charging. I have a mileage tracking app that is configured to activate when the phone plugs in (so I can just drop it in the tray when I get in the car), so if it were power cycling I'd know about it (as it would register as multiple trips).
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.