Thread: Worst job yet (intakes)

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed

Worst job yet (intakes)

Months ago, I started tearing into this 850i. Scope creep has been a real thing, and I’m still adding to my ‘to do’ list every weekend.

But today was a milestone. I had been dreading reinstalling the intakes, and although I turned the air blue at times, I feel like I’ve turned the corner.

I’m very appreciative of each and every person who has created or added to guides and posts that I’ve relied upon so far.

Trusty 10mm. I used grease rather than the magnet method to keep hold of the (24) nuts.

Intakes back in place!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    the first time into it , i changed the fuel return line to a routing above the valve cover.... now i can "see" all those bolts ! It's that metal line that makes some bolts so difficult tor reach.

My Cars
    1991 850i 6-speed
    Interesting - it didn’t cross my mid that the line could be routed in a different way.

Initially I started installation of the drivers side intake first, before realizing my mistake, and having to perform some Reinzosil cleanup before trying again, passenger side first.

My back is definitely feeling the pain right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1990 850i and 1970 2800C
    yes, is possible... on the metal tube some ends must be cut and supports , some rebending and longer fuel hoses from the FPR's up to above center valve cover where there is room under the manifold. With that out of the way it was "easy" to bolt the manifolds.

I did kept the oem design ( the 2 long metal tubes with a T at the back of the engine ) … don't know why , i suspect to eliminate "pulses" between the FPR's return lines.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Nice Job! Intakes look great. Been there...done that.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    We need to have a Badge for this

My Cars
    1991 BMW 850i
    Nice Job! I took this on a couple of years ago just to seal them. That was my first "big" job on it (actually still is the biggest task). I was a little worried at first taking it on, but it's really not all that hard (in case others are thinking of doing it). It just takes some time and all those nuts are a PIA. I used both the grease and a magnet (magnet socket was a little deep) with assorted extensions and a wobble extension. Also, for others, tape your extensions and socket together for those deep ones. I just cleaned my manifolds and painted the valve covers, but if I do it again, I will probably paint the intake.
    My Cars - 1991 BMW 850i - mine for fun, 1993 Saab 900c - mine for fun, 2008 Lexus is250 - my daily driver, 2003 Dodge Durango - my wife's, 1994 Acura Legend - gave it to kid