Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new 6 Piston 355mm Brakes | E36 M3

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg

Wink My new 6 Piston 355mm Brakes | E36 M3

Huge shoutout to Rally Road for making the adapters needed for this conversion.

I will be releasing a video soon on my youtube of the whole process as well as info on rebuilding calipers etc.

What they started life as (stock C6 Z06 front calipers)

After powder coat

on the car

I'm going to be re finishing the wheels and respraying front bumper and a few other things over this winter so I will have more pictures soon.

But the video should be up fairly soon.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 11-22-2019 at 05:37 PM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Neat.

How much does it shift brake bias forward?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Fancy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    94 325i, 95 M3, 1997 325
    Hell yeah man looks awesome
    Washedit1 by thedude60526, on Flickr
    11/10's Racing
    94 325i #36/64 TEAM PENISTON OILS/ LARSENS BISCUITS

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Neat.

How much does it shift brake bias forward?
    Straight from Rally Roads previous posts of the setup. It's nothing new people have been doing this conversion for years, I just decided to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by EMC View Post
    Brake bias is very good. It's very close to a stoptech 355mm kit. As with the stoptech 355mm kit, balance is perfectly restored by putting on the Porsche Brembo rear kit I made. On a street car, you will never know the difference in bias that a 355mm kit creates...the car will just feel so much more solid when braking. I think I've stated before that a couple people are running these and very happy with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Fancy

And they work, so win win.

Quote Originally Posted by thedude60126 View Post
    Hell yeah man looks awesome
    Thanks man I appreciate it! My biggest complaints about the E36 is the look of the stock brakes.
    I say look because they work very very well, I was already out braking my tires anyways so I knew I wanted to upgrade tires and brakes but I couldn't justify the $3,000 + price tag of these aftermarket kits. And working at a GM performance shop I get my hands on all sorts of gm parts so this made the most sense.

New advan a052 tires will be going on soon and come spring I'm looking forward to having a whole new appreciation for the car.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Stock brakes work "very very well"? I take it you haven't been to many track days yet

I assume those are 18" wheels, even then the clearance looks rather tight. But the heat capacity in those is probably huge.

My Cars
    Prelude-328-M3-4Runner
    Those look great!
    CBlock

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by jsquared1013 View Post
    Stock brakes work "very very well"? I take it you haven't been to many track days yet

I assume those are 18" wheels, even then the clearance looks rather tight. But the heat capacity in those is probably huge.
    Yet lol I've been driving E36 M3's for over 16 years... pretty sure I can make that judgment call.

So yes they do work very, well stainless lines, upgraded pads and a slotted/drilled rotor I've never had any issues out braking modern cars with them. On a dedicated track car that see's longevity on the track I would agree they aren't enough, but on a street car that weighs 2,800lbs with light track use ... yeah I'll still stick with stock M3 brakes work very well.

Yes they are 18"s I only know of possibly 2 17" wheels that will clear these brakes. Even these 18"s it's close and I had to careful of where my wheel weights were placed.

Quote Originally Posted by CblockM3 View Post
    Those look great!
    Thanks man!
    Last edited by Bsaint; 11-27-2019 at 11:45 AM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bsaint View Post
    Yet lol I've been driving E36 M3's for over 16 years... pretty sure I can make that judgment call.

So yes they do work very, well stainless lines, upgraded pads and a slotted/drilled rotor I've never had any issues out braking modern cars with them. On a dedicated track car that see's longevity on the track I would agree they aren't enough, but on a street car that weighs 2,800lbs with light track use ... yeah I'll still stick with stock M3 brakes work very well.

Yes they are 18"s I only know of possibly 2 17" wheels that will clear these brakes. Even these 18"s it's close and I had to careful of where my wheel weights were placed.
    Dropping ~400lbs off the car probably has a lot to do with it. I've got Carbotech R10s in stock calipers on "Euro" floating rotors, with Motul 660 fluid, stainless lines, and bumper-to-backing-plate ducting but they still get a little fluid fade after a hard 20-30 minutes session. Then again I'm at full-interior stock curb weight in a hot climate. So I'm lurking around checking other people's brake solutions to give more intangibles to my speadsheet comparions I'm trying to stay under 17" wheels, though. [My previous points of comparison have nearly all had better or much better factory brake setups than the E36 M3, so my opinion of them is a bit biased]

Forgot to mention, the green is a pretty unique way to go for the color change, and it looks quite good.
    Last edited by jsquared1013; 11-27-2019 at 12:14 PM. Reason: previous cars have almost all had better stock brakes

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Dropping ~400lbs off the car probably has a lot to do with it. I've got Carbotech R10s in stock calipers on "Euro" floating rotors, with Motul 660 fluid, stainless lines, and bumper-to-backing-plate ducting but they still get a little fluid fade after a hard 20-30 minutes session. Then again I'm at full-interior stock curb weight in a hot climate. So I'm lurking around checking other people's brake solutions to give more intangibles to my speadsheet comparions I'm trying to stay under 17" wheels, though. [My previous points of comparison have nearly all had better or much better factory brake setups than the E36 M3, so my opinion of them is a bit biased]

Forgot to mention, the green is a pretty unique way to go for the color change, and it looks quite good.
    Fair enough, I've never had an issue with the OG Super blue, hard to find now that it's illegal.

and thanks yeah I like the blue/green color scheme not a big fan of the normal red or yellow brakes.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    Well, clearly we've got a badass here with all the answers. No need to get defensive, I was just asking a simple question.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your brakes!

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by golgo13 View Post
    Well, clearly we've got a badass here with all the answers. No need to get defensive, I was just asking a simple question.

Either way, I hope you enjoy your brakes!

lol I wasn't getting defensive I was just sharing rally roads post... because I didn't have the exact answer.

Sorry you took it that way.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    I haven't been stateside for a while, but supposedly the non-dyed ATF fluid is available. But I switched to the Motul since it was easier to get where I lived in NC and also over here in Bahrain. The 600 and 660 are both higher temp than the Super Blue.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    I haven't been stateside for a while, but supposedly the non-dyed ATF fluid is available. But I switched to the Motul since it was easier to get where I lived in NC and also over here in Bahrain. The 600 and 660 are both higher temp than the Super Blue.
    Yeah that's pretty much the only reason, stupid US.

And yeah I haven't had the need for any higher I might switch to the M600 at some point but so far no issues.

My Cars
    96 M3 TT LSx
    Those are some weird looking turbos...
    96 M3 | Forged LSx | Twin S366 | Injector Dynamics | E85 | AEM Infinity
    90 Schwarz 325i

IG : sdobart

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by sdobart View Post
    Those are some weird looking turbos...
    gotto stop before I go fast :P

My Cars
    2019 M4 CS; 2013 M3
    Looks sweet. Just curious, do you drive the car without the hood? Does it not fit with an LS6 swap or is it just an aesthetics thing? Ever get caught in the rain?

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMansGTS View Post
    Looks sweet. Just curious, do you drive the car without the hood? Does it not fit with an LS6 swap or is it just an aesthetics thing? Ever get caught in the rain?
    Thank you, yes I drive it without the hood and yes the hood fits fine with the LS swap, if you notice the strut brace is a rogue engineering E36 M3 brace so if the engine is lower then it there is nothing stopping the hood from closing.

I've had the hood on for awhile then took it off to work on the car and just liked it being off it's as simple as that.

I also don't daily drive the car so it's pretty much like owning a motorcycle, check the weather before you go out. Also a little water in the engine bay isn't going to damage anything. Even if it gets some water through the filter... it isn't going to damage anything. Small bits of water have been known to help clean carbon build up.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 12-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.

My Cars
    S54 E36
    lol I wasn't getting defensive I was just sharing rally roads post... because I didn't have the exact answer.

Sorry you took it that way.
    I was confused. The responses seemed to come off as arrogant lol

I just wanted to know if those large clappers were going to mess with the brake balance.

My Cars
    2019 M4 CS; 2013 M3
    Thank you, yes I drive it without the hood and yes the hood fits fine with the LS swap, if you notice the strut brace is a rogue engineering E36 M3 brace so if the engine is lower then it there is nothing stopping the hood from closing.

I've had the hood on for awhile then took it off to work on the car and just liked it being off it's as simple as that.

I also don't daily drive the car so it's pretty much like owning a motorcycle, check the weather before you go out. Also a little water in the engine bay isn't going to damage anything. Even if it gets some water through the filter... it isn't going to damage anything. Small bits of water have been known to help clean carbon build up.
    Maybe I'm getting old on the current car trends, I was much more active here during the silly Stance Works era, but so long as it makes you happy.

I used to have an estoril with CSL replica wheels too, so your car speaks to me. Brakes look awesome behind those rims, car must be a blast to drive.

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMansGTS View Post
    Maybe I'm getting old on the current car trends, I was much more active here during the silly Stance Works era, but so long as it makes you happy.

I used to have an estoril with CSL replica wheels too, so your car speaks to me. Brakes look awesome behind those rims, car must be a blast to drive.
    Yeah I was much more active before that craze haha never got my cars into that style,

I've had the car now for more than 10 years and it really hasn't changed that much besides the swap.

This was taken in 2009

Thank you I appreciate it it is a blast to drive for sure, that honestly became part of the no hood thing too it just adds to the fun for me.

I enjoy watching the looks and points I get from people driving by and next to me, some confused some thumbs ups. Most people enjoy it hence why I've kept it off all of these years.

early stages of the swap

It's a simple fix when I want just put the hood back on so no harm no foul I didn't chop up my fenders, I'm not trying to really alter the look of the car in a drastic way.

But at the end of the day yes I enjoy it.

I'm also weird/sick in the fact that the more it bothers people makes me like it even more
    Last edited by Bsaint; 12-03-2019 at 10:11 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Which swap kit did you use, and which LS variant

“If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Which swap kit did you use, and which LS variant

It's a vorshlag alpha kit. One of the first designs so solid motor mounts, and it's an LS6 (C5 z06) so a 5.7 aluminum block (lighter then the stock s52 iron block) but added an aftermarket cam.
    Last edited by Bsaint; 12-03-2019 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Very nice. What kind of power are you making at the wheels with this setup.

I love N/A simplenesses

― George Orwell

My Cars
    LSx M3 & 2017 Touareg
    Very nice. What kind of power are you making at the wheels with this setup.

I love N/A simplenesses

It made 422 whp and 398 tq which for a 2,800lb car is a lot of fun, but I plan on turboing it sometime down the road.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast