Thread: BimmerGeeks ProTool questions? First car advice...

My Cars
    E46 - E90

BimmerGeeks ProTool questions? First car advice...

Hi, so iím looking to buy my first car soon. A BMW 3-series E46 or a BMW 3-series E90, i like the look of the E46 ones a bit better but still like the E90 ones tho and they are more recent then the E46 if matters, and its gonna be a gasoline and manual one. I donít know which model yet, probably a E46 316, 318 or E90 320 to begin with is good i think, and also it depends on the deals and such i find.
    If you guys can tell me what to look for in those cars, what are the things to look for when i go see it in person, what are the problems those car have or could have, how many km is too many (so far i look for below 150.000km, i donít know if that matters, if above that or below some kind of number matters), and other useful things to know and such. Also is it really true that maintenance is really that expensive on those old cars?

Also i have read that if you buy a used car, OBDís are greats tools to help you pick a good car, donít know if thatís true or not or a useful thing for that. I never used a OBD ever so i donít know how hard it is to use, what the screen is actually gonna tell me, or if its to complicated to understand what it shows.
    Apparently ProTool is better than Carly, is this true? Iím donít know which one i should take between those two, iím leaning a bit more towards ProTool because it doesnít have a subscription like Carly does.
    Does anyone know if BimmerGeeks ProTool wil work on a E46 316i/318i and on a E90 320i? Also what BimmerGeeks cable/adapter is the best Expert K+DCAN Cable or Pro K+DCAN Cable or ProTool Bluetooth Adapter?
    Is their a way to check temper mileage with ProTool like Carly has with his used car check?
    I have an iPad/iPhone but ProTool is only for Android can anyone recommend me a good cheap Android tablet Samsung, Lenovo, ... or know if they are gonna release it for ios or if i buy on Android will it be possible to use it on ios if they ever release it on there without paying twice for it?
    I probably gonna use it to diagnose and do some coding aswell later on, but the first time i will use the obd is when a go look look at used cars.

My Cars
    E46 - E90
    Nobody ?

My Cars
    E46 - E90
    Someone?

My Cars
    None
    I'm not 100% sure what it is exactly, that you're after, but I'll try and answer: "Bimmer Geeks Pro" or whatever they call it, is probably reverse engineered from an official BMW system called "Ediabas". I suspect that "Carly" is aswell, to an extent. Your cheapest and in the long-term, best option, is to get a cheap Microsoft Windows laptop and a D-CAN/K-Line interface (search for "Omitec Ediabas"). I'll show you how to install the "BMW Standard Tools" software package and teach you how to diagnose, encode, flash-program, etc, etc.