BAVToys

Thread: Adaptive headlight question

My Cars
    2012 BMW 135i

Adaptive headlight question

My adaptive headlight function was not working (yellow error message on dash, no movement of the bulbs when steering) (2012 135i). Also, the driver's side bulb worked intermittently. Sometimes would not light at all, other times worked fine, at other times would blink on and off. Color of the light from this bulb had an orange tinge (warmer than the passenger side bulb) even though it was a brand new bulb.

We ordered new ballast and adaptive module for driver's side and installed them. The connectors (plugs or whatever you called them) showed considerable "corrosion" which we brushed off before hooking everything up.

When I started up the car and turned on the lights, there was no movement of the bulbs when turning the wheel. However, it was afternoon, so I had switched the lights on manually by turning the switch all the way to the right. I have read that it has to be in the auto position to work.

We did test in that position, but because of the daylight, the headlights did not come on.

The good news is that the yellow adaptive headlight indicator on the dash did not show. Also, the light from the bulb was considerably brighter and cooler (no orange tinge).

Drove the car at night, and, voila, I could see the movement of the bulbs from inside the car when steering to either side.

Now, one lingering question: Even at night, when stopped, there is no movement of the bulbs when I turn the steering wheel. Only when in motion do my lights follow the steering wheel (actually, they seem to anticipate the steering slightly). Is the adaptive function supposed to work when the car is stopped, or is my car behaving in the way it was designed to behave.

For what it is worth, these headlight units were first installed in a 2009 135i even though they are 2012 OEM units. On that car, they would follow the steering whether in motion or at stop. On this car, these same units only seem to follow steering when in motion.

I have read general articles about how adaptive headlights work that describe what I am experiencing in the present 2012 car, but also know that, in the 2009 car, they worked whether standing or in motion.

Just curious.

I am very happy to be rid of that ugly yellow error light on the dash. I was surprised to see the info that now displays in lieu of that ugly error message (it has been a long time!).

I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Caruso

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I'm not sure but the module probably needs to be coded, a lot of the modules are not plug and play, they have to be coded

My Cars
    polo trendline
    Hello folks, just exchanged my 13 TDI Executive T-Reg for another SEL-P Tiggy. Adoring the vehicle up until this point and have the vast majority of the stuff made sense of, yet one thing that has me confounded in the Versatile Headlights, in particular, the Light Help.

From all that I've seen, when the Versatile Framework is turned on (fog light with An in it), the high pillars should come on until it sees a vehicle in front, coming or going. Is that right? I turn the framework on, and driving around my neighborhood, the hello there's never gone ahead except if I put them on. Accomplishes this solitary work on absolutely dim streets with no different lights (road lights, and so on) or should the high's be going ahead? Not certain in case I'm missing something here, however they simply don't appear to do anything on the streets I drive on.

A debt of gratitude is in order for any assistance!
    Kodi Lucky Patcher nox