Thread: Single DIN radio possible?

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp

Single DIN radio possible?

Our new 3.0si has the pop-up navigation which I want nothing to do with. I'd love to use a straightforward single DIN bluetooth headunit. Is this inside the realm of the possible or a major science project?

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by somecarguy View Post
    Our new 3.0si has the pop-up navigation which I want nothing to do with. I'd love to use a straightforward single DIN bluetooth headunit. Is this inside the realm of the possible or a major science project?
    In your case its a science project. The nav radio has the high end DSP sound and amps. You have to rip everything out and start over to do a new radio. Only folks with the basic radio can do a simple swap as you want. If you are looking to stream music, get a GROM unit and add it to your system. They work very well.

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Thanks. The GROM site is a bit confusing w/r/t which units are compatible, i'd like to lay eyes on the CD changer plug area but a lot of searching has me confused whether this happens via the trunk or cabin. Much of what I found pertains to the MZ4 which appears to have it battery in a different location.
    Last edited by somecarguy; 11-23-2019 at 08:02 PM.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Thanks. The GROM site is a bit confusing w/r/t which units are compatible, i'd like to lay eyes on the CD changer plug area but a lot of searching has me confused whether this happens via the trunk or cabin. Much of what I found pertains to the MZ4 which appears to have it battery in a different location.
    It should be pretty easy. Just call Grom and ask what version you need. Yes, the Z4M has the battery up and to the right when you look rather than under the center but the electronics are all in the same place.

My Cars
    1989 325i 4 Door 5sp
    Got it. How hard is it to remove all the carpet etc to get a visual on the electronics and 6pin or coax cd input ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Got it. How hard is it to remove all the carpet etc to get a visual on the electronics and 6pin or coax cd input ?

That I couldn't say. I have yet to remove anything in the trunk. I have the factory iPod connector(it was installed when I bought my car) and use a BT streaming connector attached to the cable. Very easy solution for streaming music but it doesn't give full integration as a Grom would do. I hardly drive my car so it doesn't make sense to spend the money upgrading for me.

My Cars
    '07 Z4 3.0si Roadster

If your device used the CD changer connector, it is located in the rear console area (the one between the seats). Access is via a flap in in the trunk located on the center wall (looking forward). You will have to reach in and feel around to get to it - and watch for sharp metal corners.

This is what my XM radio adapter used. It was installed over 10 years ago (and sadly, no longer available). By using the CD changer wiring, it integrates with the factory head unit.