Thread: Who has a 550i tuned?

My Cars
    11 550i

Who has a 550i tuned?

Just curious who all on here has a tuned 550i. And by tuned I don't mean just a simple flash tune, I mean parts installed dyno tuned. Post some of your dyno results if you would like, that would be cool. I have had a tuned BMW in the past, and know the true power you can unlock with these cars. I hope to soon tune my current 550 if my finances will allow it.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by CleanBMW View Post
    Just curious who all on here has a tuned 550i. And by tuned I don't mean just a simple flash tune, I mean parts installed dyno tuned. Post some of your dyno results if you would like, that would be cool. I have had a tuned BMW in the past, and know the true power you can unlock with these cars. I hope to soon tune my current 550 if my finances will allow it.
    well, I don't think I have a "simple flash tune" mine was $999 and had to be tweaked a few times to get it perfect. Mission Performance did a great job on it. Overall I spent about $5k on tune, exhaust, and intake, but that's only cause I purchase the exhaust slightly used from another F10 owner for 1/2 price.
    The sport gauges were modified to 575HP and it pegs them, so....(assuming they're accurate). I have this thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ness-installed

I am planning on swapping the turbos out with Pure Turbo's this winter. I'm told by Pure I can get the engine over 700HP if I do. I am currently running the stock down-pipes and the car is plenty fast, and while changing them will improve HP and it will alleviate a lot of engine heat; I do drive the car on the street so when inspection time comes I'd have to reinstall the originals, so I probably won't, and the car is loud already.

After I do this, I will go get it dyno'd somewhere.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 12-01-2019 at 10:28 AM.

My Cars
    11 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by f10_M550i View Post
    well, I don't think I have a "simple flash tune" mine was $999 and had to be tweaked a few times to get it perfect. Mission Performance did a great job on it. Overall I spent about $5k on tune, exhaust, and intake, but that's only cause I purchase the exhaust slightly used from another F10 owner for 1/2 price.
    The sport gauges were modified to 575HP and it pegs them, so....(assuming they're accurate). I have this thread. https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...ness-installed

I am planning on swapping the turbos out with Pure Turbo's this winter. I'm told by Pure I can get the engine over 700HP if I do. I am currently running the stock down-pipes and the car is plenty fast, but changing them will improve HP and it will alleviate a lot of engine heat; however I do drive the car on the street so when inspection time comes I'd have to reinstall the originals, so I'm undecided, and the car is loud already.

After I do this, I will go get it dyno'd somewhere.
    Cool, I wouldn't consider that a simple flash tune. From what I have been told by my tune shop is that upgrading from factory exhaust yields little to no gain in hp. You need to upgrade the down pipes that's all needed for a dyno tune on these models stage 1 and is where your going to get your sound from. I looked at your videos as well sounds good and looks good, keep us posted on your build, would like to know the power your pushing after the dyno pull.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Cool, I wouldn't consider that a simple flash tune. From what I have been told by my tune shop is that upgrading from factory exhaust yields little to no gain in hp. You need to upgrade the down pipes that's all needed for a dyno tune on these models stage 1 and is where your going to get your sound from. I looked at your videos as well sounds good and looks good, keep us posted on your build, would like to know the power your pushing after the dyno pull.
    I wouldn't say "no hp" gain, but it's nominal, and dependent on how many sections are replaced and the quality of exhaust components. I did a full system replacement (front. mid, axle back pipes) so all of the resonators are gone. According to the manu. the expect gains are anywhere from 10-15HP depending on which variants and which of the F10's, but in reality for the 550i it's probably 8-10HP. The video I posted is a poor example of the sound but the tonal quality was very much why I went with Meisterschaft. Its quite loud and throaty at full throttle.

The tune I got on the car is actually a Stage 1 Enhanced tune. They way it was explained to me is closer to a Stage 2 but with a custom fuel delivery based on my car. Its ready to go with new down pipes, but if I upgrade the turbos it will need to be re tweaked. (probably cost more $$)

The tune included a Cold Start delete which I really like. Highly recommend Mission Performance.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 11-29-2019 at 05:22 PM.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    If you have a 2011 550i (N63) you are pissing up a rope, there is no decent tune available for that engines MSD85 DME's. You're more or less stuck with janky piggyback units like the JB4. If you want your 550i to be faster, sell it and buy a 2014+ model with the N63tu as it is a different story, Mission Performances Stage 2 tune with downpipes makes 600hp/tq at the crank reliably. The MEVD172 DME's are far more tunable.
    Tenured Automotive Service Professional - Avid BMW Enthusiast

My Cars
    11 550i
    I wouldn't say "no hp" gain, but it's nominal, and dependent on how many sections are replaced and the quality of exhaust components. I did a full system replacement (front. mid, axle back pipes) so all of the resonators are gone. According to the manu. the expect gains are anywhere from 10-15HP depending on which variants and which of the F10's, but in reality for the 550i it's probably 8-10HP. The video I posted is a poor example of the sound but the tonal quality was very much why I went with Meisterschaft. Its quite loud and throaty at full throttle.

The tune I got on the car is actually a Stage 1 Enhanced tune. They way it was explained to me is closer to a Stage 2 but with a custom fuel delivery based on my car. Its ready to go with new down pipes, but if I upgrade the turbos it will need to be re tweaked. (probably cost more $$)

The tune included a Cold Start delete which I really like. Highly recommend Mission Performance.
    The more you tell me now what you have is a flash tune with exhaust work tuned with the flash which is good but if you can find a custom dyno is what you need or upgrade to your next stage kit if you choose. I have done my research there is only like two exhaust for the n63 that I have found. Unless like you have done and go with a custom setup I will pass I rather put that money in engine work. I was told at least on my year n63 the cats are located in the downpipes so there are none in the exhaust system thats why I say go with upgraded downpipes elimiates cats at least in my case. If you can get a dynojet tune somewhere in your location that has updated software you would be amazed.

My Cars
    11 550i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stück View Post
    If you have a 2011 550i (N63) you are pissing up a rope, there is no decent tune available for that engines MSD85 DME's. You're more or less stuck with janky piggyback units like the JB4. If you want your 550i to be faster, sell it and buy a 2014+ model with the N63tu as it is a different story, Mission Performances Stage 2 tune with downpipes makes 600hp/tq at the crank reliably. The MEVD172 DME's are far more tunable.
    Hahah maby where your located that's all you have available. But i'm not a "newbie" when it comes to modding. I had the shop I am talkin about tune my n54 135 pushin 375hp 405tq have the papers to prove still, had numerous parts installed on that beast. So my n63 is no problem in a tune there on the dynojet professional custom tuner in there shop just comes down to how much money I wanna spend with em. They have the most latest software technology for BMW modding.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    375hp/405tq is nothing to brag about on a N54. That is like the base off the shelf MHD map on a bone stock car.... If that is all your dyno tuner managed to get out of it he should quit his day job. My wifes N55 X3 makes more than that, and my daily driver M5 makes 735whp/675wtq. Both are Mission Performance tuned.
    Last edited by Stück; 11-30-2019 at 11:26 AM.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    The more you tell me now what you have is a flash tune with exhaust work tuned with the flash which is good but if you can find a custom dyno is what you need or upgrade to your next stage kit if you choose. I have done my research there is only like two exhaust for the n63 that I have found. Unless like you have done and go with a custom setup I will pass I rather put that money in engine work. I was told at least on my year n63 the cats are located in the downpipes so there are none in the exhaust system thats why I say go with upgraded downpipes elimiates cats at least in my case. If you can get a dynojet tune somewhere in your location that has updated software you would be amazed.
    Dinan, Eissamann, GTHaus/Meisterschaft all make complete racing exhaust systems for the F10 550i. I installed this months before I did the tune. I did not pay a tune shop to perform the work for me. Mission provides a customer self-run process. I gave them the VIN for my car and they created the initial tune based on that alone.
    I connected my laptop to the car uploaded my tune to their server as a fallback, then ran the program they developed which installed the custom tune, selected the appropriate options, and then wrote it to the car. Subsequent changes were made based on test runs I performed and reported the results to them. I did have to change the spark plugs to NGK with a .22 gap.

Cats are still on the downpipes on my engine. They do generate significant heat in the engine compartment; I measured 315F with an infrared thermometer. Pure Turbo recommended that I change the downpipes if/when I install their turbos. Changing them is a definite plus but also makes the car not street legal.

My Cars
    11 550i
    375hp/405tq is nothing to brag about on a N54. That is like the base off the shelf MHD map on a bone stock car.... If that is all your dyno tuner managed to get out of it he should quit his day job. My wifes N55 X3 makes more than that, and my daily driver M5 makes 735whp/675wtq. Both are Mission Performance tuned.
    Never knew you owned a n54 b4? Until you have owned one, I don't think you can diss on someone who has owned one. Considering I started at 300hp/tq and gained 75whp and 105wtq I say thats pretty damn good on stock turbos set at low psi with exhaust and dp, the x3 would be struggling to keep up, plus it was a manual driven 135 burnin 1-3rd on dry days. And yes obviously I knew I could get more hp out of that car, I didn't say I had the fastest n54 in the world. I highly recommend Bimmer Performance Center here in good ole N.C. where I get all work done, check em out yourself online their site speaks for itself. Have ppl all over the eastern U.S. come to this shop. Hell even give em a call if you like, and tell em to all quit their jobs there, sure they will take you real seriously then. Ohh yea and don't get overly excited about what power you have pushing out of your m5, this shop holds world record on f10 m5 modded pushin 1000whp/1000wtq was a buddys of mine friend that was a real m5.

My Cars
    11 550i
    Dinan, Eissamann, GTHaus/Meisterschaft all make complete racing exhaust systems for the F10 550i. I installed this months before I did the tune. I did not pay a tune shop to perform the work for me. Mission provides a customer self-run process. I gave them the VIN for my car and they created the initial tune based on that alone.
    I connected my laptop to the car uploaded my tune to their server as a fallback, then ran the program they developed which installed the custom tune, selected the appropriate options, and then wrote it to the car. Subsequent changes were made based on test runs I performed and reported the results to them. I did have to change the spark plugs to NGK with a .22 gap.

Cats are still on the downpipes on my engine. They do generate significant heat in the engine compartment; I measured 315F with an infrared thermometer. Pure Turbo recommended that I change the downpipes if/when I install their turbos. Changing them is a definite plus but also makes the car not street legal.
    I didn't know there was that many manufactures for exhaust thanks. I checked out mission performance, intresting way they do their tuning there. Why would be taking the stock down pipes out not be legal... no cats and inspections in TX? If so you need to find somebody that will pass you, your gonna need to do that if you expect more power, otherwise just build a track car.

My Cars
    15 X5, 02 330i, 09 MiniS
    I'm well and familiar with BPC thank you, while I see you look up to them (to say the least) they don't have the greatest reputation in the circles I travel in and I'm not particularly impressed with any of their builds as the shop I work in does all the same sort of stuff so its no big deal to me. Building 600, 700, 800+whp N54's is a pretty common thing in my line of work so forgive me for not being impressed by basic mods. I could have a 1000whp/tq engine in my M5 if I felt like wasting $50k doing it, but it isn't worth while on a car that is just a daily driver, and is already brutally fast with ~800hp/750tq at the crank. Mission Performances methodology of doing controlled pulls with logging for tune revisions and custom tailoring is fairly industry standard, they aren't breaking the mold there. Most legitimate BMW tuners do the same. Repeated pulls on a rented dynamometer isn't a requisite and hasn't been on this platform among others for years.

My X3 leaves the hole on a brake boosted launch like a rocket, and would easily get the jump on you while you are struggling to get traction with whatever junk tires you have that let you spin 1-3 in the dry. AWD even on mediocre tires is a bitch to run from a dig. You'll lose every time with a comparably powered RWD car that can't put the power to the ground efficiently.

Removing a catalyst is illegal on the state and federal level, not sure what part of that you don't understand. Getting someone to pass your vehicle through state inspection has nothing to do with it still being illegal... Sure it happens every day.... The factory catted downpipes aren't restrictive on these cars, they are ample size and allow for plenty of flow above stock performance. Removing them on a street driven N63 car that isn't built engine/upgraded turbos is stupid and completely unnecessary.

Anyway you seem to have missed the point here. I'm just saying don't mod your pre-lci 550i trying to make it fast. It isn't cut out for it, whatever results will be crushingly disappointing compared to a N63tu car with a "simple flash"... that and most pre-lci 550i's that come through the shop need more deferred maintenance than the car is worth taken care of long before any power adders are to be considered and yours is likely no different.
    Last edited by Stück; 11-30-2019 at 10:40 PM.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    I didn't know there was that many manufactures for exhaust thanks. I checked out mission performance, intresting way they do their tuning there. Why would be taking the stock down pipes out not be legal... no cats and inspections in TX? If so you need to find somebody that will pass you, your gonna need to do that if you expect more power, otherwise just build a track car.
    Cats are a Federal EPA requirement, not just Texas. My preference is to keep them if I can get more power from a Turbo upgrade alone. Also the car is plenty loud as it is.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 12-01-2019 at 10:09 AM.

My Cars
    11 550i
    I'm well and familiar with BPC thank you, while I see you look up to them (to say the least) they don't have the greatest reputation in the circles I travel in and I'm not particularly impressed with any of their builds as the shop I work in does all the same sort of stuff so its no big deal to me. Building 600, 700, 800+whp N54's is a pretty common thing in my line of work so forgive me for not being impressed by basic mods. I could have a 1000whp/tq engine in my M5 if I felt like wasting $50k doing it, but it isn't worth while on a car that is just a daily driver, and is already brutally fast with ~800hp/750tq at the crank. Mission Performances methodology of doing controlled pulls with logging for tune revisions and custom tailoring is fairly industry standard, they aren't breaking the mold there. Most legitimate BMW tuners do the same. Repeated pulls on a rented dynamometer isn't a requisite and hasn't been on this platform among others for years.

My X3 leaves the hole on a brake boosted launch like a rocket, and would easily get the jump on you while you are struggling to get traction with whatever junk tires you have that let you spin 1-3 in the dry. AWD even on mediocre tires is a bitch to run from a dig. You'll lose every time with a comparably powered RWD car that can't put the power to the ground efficiently.

Removing a catalyst is illegal on the state and federal level, not sure what part of that you don't understand. Getting someone to pass your vehicle through state inspection has nothing to do with it still being illegal... Sure it happens every day.... The factory catted downpipes aren't restrictive on these cars, they are ample size and allow for plenty of flow above stock performance. Removing them on a street driven N63 car that isn't built engine/upgraded turbos is stupid and completely unnecessary.

Anyway you seem to have missed the point here. I'm just saying don't mod your pre-lci 550i trying to make it fast. It isn't cut out for it, whatever results will be crushingly disappointing compared to a N63tu car with a "simple flash"... that and most pre-lci 550i's that come through the shop need more deferred maintenance than the car is worth taken care of long before any power adders are to be considered and yours is likely no different.
    1. Good, I am glad you know BPC no need for a call then. They get my car on the road every time I need a repair or mod, so I am not complaining. We all have our own opinions.

2. Im sure the X3 is pretty quick, and the reason I was losing traction is I needed new tires, and possibly a different tire/wheel size setup. So I can agree with wheel-spin, hence why the car is now totaled due to that fact...

3. Already knew all that thanks.

4. I haven't missed the point, I clearly understand. But I can agree on your last paragraph, my n63 has been in the shop more than its been on the streets, but I love it, it's my 3rd BMW so this isn't my first rodeo. Thanks for the input.

My Cars
    11 550i
    Cats are a Federal EPA requirement, not just Texas. My preference is to keep them if I can get more power from a Turbo upgrade alone. Also the car is plenty loud as it is.
    I see cool.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i 6speed
    Hi everyone, just curious to know a simple detail to the F10 550i; I purchased back in June of last year. Is it normal that the car doesn’t rev like a monster unless the clutch is depressed? If I’m just parked and I give it gas, it revs slowly vvvvvrrrroooooooommm, but if I hold in the clutch it revs loud VROOOOOOOOMMMMM. I think this seems odd, I took car to stealership, and they couldn’t give me an answer unless there was another 6 speed 550i to compare it to. So I’m here and wondering if anyone who has an F10 has this same issue, or is it normal???? Never have I encountered such weirdness. Sorry to change the subject