Thread: Thinking about getting an X1 as a daily but which year???

My Cars
    99 m3 dinan supercharger

Thinking about getting an X1 as a daily but which year???

Late 2015 or 2016 (change body style)

Are mods worth it on these cars? Chip, intake, exhaust, and lowering.
    1999 M3 Silver Vert| /// Dinan supercharger + Dinan intake + Dinan software + Dinan suspension + Dinan exhaust| style 32 wheels | alpina rear spoiler

Daily Diver: 2016 X1 | TBD
    1999 M3 Black Vert sold, 1997 M3/4 Arctic sold, 2007 X3 3.0si M sold, 2011 335i xdrive sold

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by SseeDragon View Post
    Late 2015 or 2016 (change body style)

Are mods worth it on these cars? Chip, intake, exhaust, and lowering.
    Mods mostly don't exist for these cars. Or at least the choices are pretty slim vs. just about any other BMW model...

But a flash (not a 'chip', generally ECU's haven't required 'chip' swapping since the mid-90's...) would be worth it. Unfortunately Bootmod3 is for F-series OBD-ethernet cars, so they don't have an E84 solution AFAIK. From looking at what they do I'm sure they could do it but they'd need a different cable/flashing routine and that plus the X1 not being a real common performance vehicle (aka small market size) likely what keeps them away from it. That leaves you with a host of piggy-back solutions (Dinan, Vivid, JB, etc.) which is not a method I am generally a fan of. But I suppose for a 'stage 1 just fake the ECU into making more boost', they're probably OK, as long as you're not particular about how they get there...
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    I prefer the 2016+ X1 m-sport package. Only mod I've done so far is to disconnect the actuated flap in the second exhaust pipe. Looked stupid with only one exhaust pipe working on cold days in my backup camera!

My Cars
    E84 X1 35i ///M
    I would look for a 2015 xDrive35i its the twin power N55 motor and JB4 tuning definitely worth it and makes it a lot of Fun!!!
    No more 6 cyl after 2015 as far as I know...

obviously look for one with the M package...
    Last edited by MoeMuny; 04-04-2020 at 06:58 PM.
    2015 E84 X1 35i ///M +JB4
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    RIP --- 98 ///M3 Mods:- Eurosport TS - (EVO)Euro 6-speed

My Cars
    14 X1 x3.5i - 16 C300
    I daily drive a 2014 X1 3.5i (no M-Sport) and it's easily the most fun daily driver I've had in my life! It has got the N55 so any e90 N55 mods will work with it.
    Follow me on Instragram @bassrebel
    2003 2014 X1 X3.5i 2016 MB C300 4Matic

My Cars
    S54 MZR...bye bye
    It really depends what your looking for.
    If you are into the BMW driving experience, the e84 X1 either x28i or x35i are better. They are based on the excellent e9x platform. Their rear biased xdrive system makes for an engaging driving experience.
    If you want a more modern interior with a bit more trunk space then the f48 X1 is a better choice. Do note that the f48 is an oversized Mini Countryman. With a front biased awd and <gulp> transverse engine.
    Personally if f48 tickles your fancy you are better off with a Mazda CX5 unless a roundel badge is what you want.

Mod wise the e84 sharing powerplant as the f30 n20 and n55 you get the similar support. Good luck with your choice.

My Cars
    2013 bmw x1 35i
    Proud owner of a 2013 x1 35i.
    Awesome daily driver. Fairly reliable for the most part. I have 198,000kms on it. I change the oil every 5,000kms.

It runs the 1/4 mile @ 13.8 @ 102mph / 0-60 in 5.2 seconds ALL STOCK.
    Best ive done was 14.1 @ 99mph ( was always just a family daily from April-End of Nov )
    My 35i has the n55 motor. Twin scroll single turbo inline-6 3.0L.
    Mods I would suggest : vrsf intercooler, vrsf catless downpipe, vrsf upgraded charge pipe, custom jb4 tune, catch can.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    I've been following this thread with interest. I'm thinking about picking up an X1 as a suburban grocery-getter/baby hauler, that I will share with my wife (I'll keep my E39 as well, which she can't drive since it's stick).

I actually think the 2016+ version is pretty handsome, and that's what I'm leaning toward. The worst criticism I've seen so far is that the seats are narrow. Are they really that bad? I do see a nicely optioned car a couple of hours away that has the Sport seats with the extra thigh bolstering. Would it be worth the extra effort/cost seeking out a car spec'd like that?

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Just a quick update: we went and test drove a 2017 X1 yesterday. Initial impressions:

PROS

- Attractive exterior. The particular car we drove was Sparkling Brown Metallic over Canberra Beige SensaTec. Brown wagon alert :-)

- Cabin is much roomier than I expected, both in terms of rear seat and cargo area space. It's no 7-series, but I thought the quality of the interior materials was fine. Not amazing, but not terrible either.

- Peppy engine, good transmission, decent steering (for a modern BMW, anyway)

- Lots of glass, great visibility all around, commanding, SUV-like driving position despite being a small car

- Comfortable seats. My wife and I are quite short, so the online complaints about the narrowness of the seats didn't really apply to us ;-)

- Car we looked at has balance of the factory warranty until July 2021

- Browsing online forums, it appears that X1 owners tend to be pleased with their cars overall and haven't experienced too many problems. Complaints tend to center around sunroof seals, front suspension problems, EGR valve, turbo pipes, loud run-flat tires, and other small irritations. E.g.:

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=1789672

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=1587001

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums//s....php?t=1777831

CONS

- The unit we looked at was way overpriced (around 3k above market average, from what I can tell)

- Despite being equipped with the Driving Assistance Package, it did not have blind spot monitoring, or any active assistance tech. I have since learned that no X1s of this era did. That's a shame - the car will mostly be driven by my wife, who would really appreciate those.

- No Apple Carplay, and again I've just learned that the X1 didn't get it until much later (2019/2020?)

Conclusion:

Still on the fence about this purchase. We both came away liking the X1. It's more handsome and fun to drive than most cars in the segment, and is ideally sized for our needs (small on the outside, surprisingly roomy on the inside). But the more sensible choice would probably be something cheaper yet better equipped, e.g. a Mazda.

My Cars
    1990 318iT
    I just got a 2016 as a daily. Get the F48. The E84 has a bunch of problems that may or may not have already been fixed.
    07 MINI Cooper S & 1990 318i Touring.

My Cars
    '03 530i/5 Sport
    Another update: we test drove a '19 Mazda CX-5 AWD over the weekend, and that's what we're going with.

I would love to have another BMW on the drive, but the X1 is simply too expensive and not well enough equipped when cross-shopped against the Mazda. The X1 has a better engine and transmission, but the Mazda is cheaper, has a roomier cabin, and is loaded with Apple CarPlay, active safety tech, Bose audio, etc. It helps that the CX-5 is pretty sharp looking too. I have to go with the head and not the heart on this purchase!