Thread: High mileage resurrect/DE aka the worst idea ever!

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.

High mileage resurrect/DE aka the worst idea ever!

1.5 years ago I picked up this M3 that just crossed 356K miles. I had a dream of turning it into my DE/autoX replacement for my E46 non M track rat. It is a 96 Alpine White on Mulberry, 5MT, with lux package. Everything on the car was original. It was in a few accidents, but the replacement parts were always OE and the title was clear. Underneath had no rust and wiping the grime away revealed a little surface rust and no clear coat lol. Compression test was excellent and although I had no idea of much of the history previous to its current owner I went ahead and negotiated with the seller eventually settling on 2300.

After a brief going over I set out purchasing parts....probably the worst decision I ever made. I got screwed a few times too by purchasing used parts from forum members (GC coilovers that were blown when they arrived, camber plates that were falling apart) which added to the headaches. At one point I thought I should cut my loses and purchase a prepped car for around 14K (saw at least 3 in the timeframe when I was purchasing parts and slowly working on her listed for around that). In the end I stuck with it and with the help of a friend and Carlin at BMWERKS in Dickinson, TX the engine was sorted. Carlin really went above and beyond, even giving advice and guiding me step by step on things I tried by myself (the reason why I chose him to do everything I couldnt or didn't have the time to handle).

Anything that leaked was looked after, cooling system was refreshed, oil pump nut was safety wired, baffle added in pan, plus the normal M50/intake/BW race exhaust, injectors, RK Tune, LTFW, clutch, etc, etc were included in the freshening (all done by Carlin). Next up the suspension saw every single bushing replaced with Delrin, TCK DAs upon GC Race camber plates, new lower control arms, GC camber arms, etc, etc was accomplished. Thanks for forum members I was able to source a new ATE brake booster, coupled with new master, EBC yellow, brass guide pins, BW lines, and she stopped well.

Now here she sits awaiting an interior refresh along with paintwork and I must admit I am excited to see it all come together. It will still be some time before I am able to afford to get the bodywork/paint done, but everything else is here and when I have time it will get done.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 11-10-2019 at 01:00 AM.

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    I did pretty much the same thing you did - took an old 97 M3 and turned it into a trackday car. Ran into many of the same challenges but none of what you report is unusual or overly difficult - its just what you have to do to prep a car for the track.

One of my favorite experiences was blasting down the main straight at Summit, looking down just in time to see the odo flip over to 250,000 miles. And what did I do at that moment? I yelled WOOHOO, shifted to 4th and matted it. That is **exactly** what this car is for.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by emoore924 View Post
    I did pretty much the same thing you did - took an old 97 M3 and turned it into a trackday car. Ran into many of the same challenges but none of what you report is unusual or overly difficult - its just what you have to do to prep a car for the track.

One of my favorite experiences was blasting down the main straight at Summit, looking down just in time to see the odo flip over to 250,000 miles. And what did I do at that moment? I yelled WOOHOO, shifted to 4th and matted it. That is **exactly** what this car is for.
    I must admit that sounds glorious!

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Great to see another car saved from rotting away. Hope to see you around MSR or the likes someday!
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    Great to see another car saved from rotting away. Hope to see you around MSR or the likes someday!
    I live in Houston not too far from MSRH. I usually run with PCA and a private group and have ran with D&B. We may have run across one another before (I drove my E46 track rat #40/#740 and 911 #99). I also autoX with CCA (M5 and E46 track rat).

My Cars
    1968 Porsche 912
    Looks great! I like the 4S too....

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    As I near 358K miles there have been some updates although progress is slow. Utilizing CV19 I spent time getting my 911 done (IMS/RMS/maintenance). My M5 is currently at a friend's shop and is having the headers/SC installed after many years of sitting in boxes.

But anyway here's the good stuff; I had the exterior redone and she is acceptable looking now. I also replaced most of the trim with new OE stuff and bought the proper 96 only kidneys...I'm not sure why I decided to spend that kind of coin on a cheap car, but I felt satisfied after installing them lol. One of the rear shocks had a helicoil, so I have a time sert to replace that.

An alignment, bavsound speakers, and the rest of the interior are next on the list. Although it is a DE car I plan on retaining the sound system as I will still drive it to and from events and the occasional fun days.

P_20200524_163625_1.jpgP_20200524_163234_1.jpg
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 06-17-2020 at 06:19 PM.

My Cars
    E30 M3 & E36 M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by emoore924 View Post
    It's posts like this that keep me coming back to bimmerforums. Thank you.

My Cars
    1 Blue, 1 White, 1 Black
    Looking great, hoping to see that or the E39 in person sooner than later.
    Past: '99 Hellrot/Dove M3 | '97 S14 1JZ | '06 Triumph Daytona 675 | '01 330I M-Tech I | '99 Silvia S15 | Current: '96 Estoril/Black M3

Instagram

My Cars
    1999 M3 and 1990 Jetta G
    nice thread! Glad to see you enjoying the car how you want to! I dig the PTG style wing too! Get a front splitter to complete the look!

Also, awesome to see so many miles on it and still looking good!
    Last edited by propcar; 06-23-2020 at 09:37 AM.
    TRM Coilovers 670F/895R | BBS LM | Corsa RSC36

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    I may have shared this before.

I have a friend who finally got the 911 he always wanted. He kept his Volvo, and had planned to only drive the 911 on weekends or special occasions.

Every morning he'd look at the keys to the Volvo, and then he'd pick up the keys to the 911 to drive to work.

Give me a driver all day every day.

All the refreshing you did had to be done, whether you started with a low mileage, high cost car or started with a high mileage, low cost car.

At least with a high mileage car no one worries about driving it after the work is done.

This thread - this is how it's supposed to be done!

-Josh: 1998 S54 E36 M3/4/6 with most of the easy stuff and most of the hard stuff. At least twice. 271k miles. 1994 E32 740il with nothing but some MPars. 93k miles.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrftKingIII View Post
    Looking great, hoping to see that or the E39 in person sooner than later.
    Of course, I look forward to meeting you and seeing your car. I'm pretty certain we have crossed paths a few times already.

Quote Originally Posted by propcar View Post
    nice thread! Glad to see you enjoying the car how you want to! I dig the PTG style wing too! Get a front splitter to complete the look!

Also, awesome to see so many miles on it and still looking good!
    Thanks! I have a MaxVelocity EVO2 splitter, but after looking at the bonding between the panels I decided to order a hard motorsport splitter and retain the OE front lip. I think it's been more than a week since ordering, hopefully it ships soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blckstrm View Post
    I may have shared this before.

I have a friend who finally got the 911 he always wanted. He kept his Volvo, and had planned to only drive the 911 on weekends or special occasions.

Every morning he'd look at the keys to the Volvo, and then he'd pick up the keys to the 911 to drive to work.

Give me a driver all day every day.

All the refreshing you did had to be done, whether you started with a low mileage, high cost car or started with a high mileage, low cost car.

At least with a high mileage car no one worries about driving it after the work is done.

This thread - this is how it's supposed to be done!
    That's a cool story and you're absolutely correct. I'd be interested in seeing that 911. I am an affinity to them, especially if it's air-cooled. It has been a dream of mine to own one of those ever since I saw a G body in Miami as a wee lad.

I plan on keeping this car. If the engine ever lets go it'll get rebuilt and keep moving forward.
    Last edited by SexualChocolate; 06-23-2020 at 05:51 PM.