Thread: Ford v Ferrari

My Cars
    70's p-cars

Ford v Ferrari

Since this is the track forum - who's going?

I already have my tix, have the missus ready to go (bribed with popcorn), have watched all the trailers I can find, have the Shelby Cobra shirt ready to go and am hoping for the best car-guy movie since, well, since probably forever (all respect to Senna and Rush).

This is gonna be good.

My Cars
    2001 525it
    I hope it's good

NeilM is offline Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    I hope it’s good too, but I’m not expecting it to be. Senna was a great documentary, but the shelves are full of failures as far as dramatic films about racing go. The only good one I can think of was John Frankenheimer’s “Grand Prix” from 1966 (James Garner, Eva Marie Saint, Yves Montand, Brian Bedford, Jessica Walter, Françoise Hardy, Toshiro Mifune).

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    I'll see it but have low expectations. I'm sure it'll be loaded with CG images. Curious to see if Eric Broadley or Lola even get a mention.
    Agreed about previous failures* but Grand Prix, LeMans, Winning and the recent Ron Howard one about Hunt and Lauda were good.
    * I am in that awful Sly Stallone movie "Driven".
    Last edited by ross1; 11-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    And then of course in the Short Films (Foreign Language, except there's no dialog anyway) category, there's the famous C'Était un Rendez-vous by Claude Lelouch — all 8 minutes or so of it. Even if was semi-fake (real driving and totally unauthorized live filming in Paris, but using a Mercedes sedan with Ferrari sounds dubbed in afterward).

Neil
    Last edited by NeilM; 11-11-2019 at 09:34 AM. Reason: wordsmithery

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3
    Trailer I saw had some corny looking CGi action.

Has anyone seen Adam Carolla’s documentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    97 M3
    It won't be Senna or Le Mans, so I won't pay to see it.
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by badmonkey View Post
    Has anyone seen Adam Carolla’s documentary?
    Uppity? Is it out yet? It's been in post for what feels like 3 years now.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    F150, Suburban, M3

Ford v Ferrari

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Uppity? Is it out yet? It's been in post for what feels like 3 years now.

24 Hour War, came out in 2016.

https://www.netflix.com/title/801588...trkid=13747225

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
    -DNC

My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Here's a review of F vs F by Ars Technica's automotive editor:
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/...-in-the-1960s/

Neil

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Saw it yesterday. Save your dough.
    CG racing scenes are as bogus as it gets, complete with absurd scenes of drivers conversing on track or staring each other down while in braking zones.
    All of the fakey-doo kit car GT40s on street tires have 90 speed gearboxes that only shift up. Workshop and pit scenes have a smattering of road car parts tossed around like some dance scene out of "Grease". Watching your kids play X-box is probably more realistic.

The closest mention to the actual mind behind the chassis, Eric Broadley of Lola cars was one oblique reference; "the prototype arrived from England". Anyone with even the most rudimentary knowledge of road racing or this story will be disappointed.
    The film is a (deserved) love letter to Ken Miles and portrays Shelby as the hero, of course, Ford Jr. as an a-hole(which was supposedly true) and entirely glosses over any contribution by others, including the other drivers which won the podium.
    The actors did the best they could, can't fault them.
    Last edited by ross1; 11-18-2019 at 10:23 AM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    70's p-cars
    I thought Christian Bale's portrayal of Ken Miles was (literally) Oscar worthy. Probably worth going to see just for that. As for the rest of it, last time I checked, I don't remember race cars kicking up dust EVERY time they're on the track, and IIRC, the last (4 million) times I went down a straight like Mulsanne, my foot was to the floor the whole way (what's up with this lifting off, and putting the pedal down again, then lifting off stuff...). The footwork/shifting/trackwork shots were silly and NOT true technique, which is a real and obvious miss for any car-guy racer in the audience. Fail.

7/10 from me, but only because of Bale's performance. Oh and the cars in the background were fun, like the wooden buck for the Daytona Coupe, the beautiful blue cobra that Shelby is driving around, and the in-period cars in the street scenes. The rest of it, meh. I'd say its worth watching 1x in the theater, then watch it on the plane for free if you have the time and you're flying coast-to-coast.

Oh, BTW, rotten tomatoes audience rating is at 99% right now with over 1k reviews. Everyone else in the world really liked it. Go figure.
    Last edited by emoore924; 11-16-2019 at 08:45 PM.

My Cars
    E34 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    I'll see it but have low expectations. I'm sure it'll be loaded with CG images. Curious to see if Eric Broadley or Lola even get a mention.
    Agreed about previous failures* but Grand Prix, LeMans, Winning and the recent Ron Howard one about Hunt and Lauda were good.
    * I am in that awful Sly Stallone movie "Driven".
    from the behind the scenes video it looks like its all done with stunts.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by Hofmeister View Post
    from the behind the scenes video it looks like its all done with stunts.
    Lots of bad CG.
    I want my 2 1/2 hrs and $15 back.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I thought the CG actually looked pretty good … no REALLY obvious stuff (the crashes were the most obvious). The expected cheese factor was high for the racing scenes (the shifting and foot work was abysmal), but they looked good on film. But ignore that, and the movie was pretty good … certainly worth seeing. The story was fairly accurate on the large scale, and Bale's character acting was top notch (as always). Matt Damon was basically himself with an accent, but overall a good movie to see with the wife/friends.

It's not a documentary, so yeah, obviously it's not going to be facts all the time … that's why we have documentaries and why we have "based on" fiction
    Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Last edited by ross1; 11-19-2019 at 04:58 PM.

My Cars
    2002, e30 M3, 535
    Loved the movie, overall. The one thing that put me off, though, was the foot work and the constant upshifting. The stuff that drivers never think about. It must be to impress the American public accustomed to slush boxes.... Oooooohhhh Aaaaahhhh. Like in Fast and Furious... Uuuuhhh.
    1969 2002 racecar + 1989 e30 M3 racecar

My Cars
    E92 M3, 970TT
    I thoroughly enjoyed it... wouldn’t mind going to see it again, but in imax.
    991 | 964 | G55 | D90 | LX570 |

Past: SC'd e34 540/6, CSL'd E46 M3, E36 M3/4/5, E36 M3 turbo, E36 M3, 335D, Porsche 951, 80 Series LC, Kleeman E55 Wagon, LX470, 970 Panamera TT, E92 M3

My Cars
    97 M3
    Looks like another "racing" movie by people who don't know cars (or how they work, or how drivers think, or how many gears cars have, or...). Thanks to those who reconed it for us!
    '97 M3/2/5 Lux, AW/Modena, ~225k, many mods and lots of grip
    Please lift when giving a point by