Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Help on emergency equipment when switching to non-run flats

My Cars
    2016 BMW 330e

Question Help on emergency equipment when switching to non-run flats

My wife has a '16 330e with 225/45 R18 run flats and no spare/jack of course, and is considering moving to non-run flats because she doesn't like the harsh ride (don't want to move to 17" wheels). If we switch over, what is recommended for emergencies? I'm thinking near-term and long-term solutions.. Right away: Slime and a Heavy Duty 2x compressor that could re-fill the tire without being jacked (that true)? Longer term, get a donut or full-size spare plus jack for longer trips to rural places. Does this strategy make sense or not? Suggested changes? Also, any suggestion for tires would be appreciated- are any more resistant to blow-outs? Many thanks!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Not trying to be sexist, but would your wife be able to jack up the car and change the tire? My car doesn’t have a spare but I carry a couple of tools and a plug kit. The car came with a pretty good compressor and a bottle of that stuff you pump into the tire to “fix” the leak. I’ve owned the car for over 2 years without any issues. So, I think you’re on the right track.

I see you’re in the Bay Area so, unless you drive to ski resorts, all season tires are not needed. Personally, I’d stick with the 18” alloys and go to www.tirerack.com to see what fits. I have a strong preference for Michelin tires though I used Bridgestone snow tires on my last bimmer. IMHO you get what you pay for when it comes to tires.

Check the Michelin website to see if they offer free towing for all its tires. My car has Pilot Super Sports and if a tire is damaged all I have to do is call Michelin and the company will send a tow truck. Towing up to 150 miles is free.

Go 9ers!!
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 11-11-2019 at 06:51 AM.

My Cars
    2016 BMW 330e
    Thanks! I didn't mention that my wife is 70YO- so if anything my question may be ageist, since I am nearly so and would like to have a 'jack-less' solution as well. Hence my question about whether or not heavy duty compressors can indeed fill the tire while resting on the ground (taking longer is not a problem). I like the Michelin PSS tires on paper except that they do not rate all that well on 'ride noise and comfort', which is the reason my wife wants to move away from run flats. Thanks for the input and yes, go 9ers!

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Dang, why did Robbie Gould get injured in the Arizona game?!?! I just hope Sanders can come back soon.

Yeah, Michelin PSS tires tend to be noisy though I don’t mind the noise. But, stick with a high quality tire, either Michelin or Bridgestone. Again, see if Michelin has that “we’ll pay fir towing” on tires other than PSS’s.

Regroup, recover, review and adjust. Onward 49ers!

My Cars
    2016 BMW 330e
    Thanks for the input- got the Bridgestone RFs, mostly for the deal WheelWorks was offering on them and for wife peace of mind. That was the worst spot for a coach to be in... big risk with the new kicker, but not to go for the win? Guess that's why they get the big bucks.. Thanks again.

My Cars
    2017 BMW 3series wagon
    Happened to see this thread, had one of my regular Blizzaks go flat, and I used a 12v compressor that had COPD. Don't recall the brand, but it seemed a decent piece of equipment. I had a jack, but even with the car raised, the compressor couldn't push enough air to even find the hole.
    Since got a husky Husky 12v which will fill a tire completely in less than 2 min. It might lift the car.
    Dan

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The majority of flats are caused by a puncture in the tread. That can almost always be fixed. My advice would be to get some Michelin’s or Bridgestones and AAA membership. Be advised that pumping that sealing gunk into the tire typically clogs the TPMS sensor in the wheel.

We were outplayed by the falcons, no doubt. Even Kyle said the falcons were better prepared. Hey, they’re human and when you’re missing 5 defensive starters it shows. At least we’re in the playoffs. We have to beat Seattle.
    Last edited by MarcoZandrini; 12-16-2019 at 06:11 AM.

My Cars
    2017 BMW 3series wagon
    Yeah, I have a plug kit, which I would have used had I been able to find the hole. Understand the gook isn't a perfect solution, but I'm trying to have a self-rescue kit onboard.
    Two things. My total flat left me on a really narrow shoulder up against a cliff, so there wasn't much room to work; it was a driver's side flat, and people neither move over nor slow down. I now have some fusees (aka, flares) now as part of my kit.
    And, I'm seventy one.
    Dan

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    My wife has a 2005 mini r53 - we switched away from runflats in 2007 / I run the hottest Michelin summer tire available, and Michelin snows during the winter. Other than the standard Mini provided jack kit, we do nothing locally. If we have a flat - get a flatbed. For longer distances, we tend to take 2 cars - too much stuff to fit in a mini, and I bring a spare in the Yukon, or e38. Been doing this for 12 years now. She’s only had 1 flat locally, so we left the car in a parking lot, and I did the roadside service.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Yeah, I think the best solution is to switch to non-RFs, pack a compressor, a plug kit and some of that crap that the compressor pumps into the tire. As was mentioned, having AAA is a backup plan.

Today is the day! Jimmy has to be sharp from the first snap. The d has to play BIG D. Hey, the cardinals beat the hawks so they must have contained Wilson pretty well. So hopefully Saleh picked up a few ideas. But the hawks will be absolutely fired up for this game. I wish Dee Ford was healthy. Nick Bosa has to have a career game.

Go 9ers!