Thread: Mysterious "key not detected" error message - help!!!

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive

Mysterious "key not detected" error message - help!!!

Every time I open and close any of my door while the car is running, I get the "Key not detected..." error message. Mind you, they key fob and I are still in the car. The key fob will function properly, no problems locking, unlocking, or starting the car. Has anyone had this problem? What could be the culprit? This has been going on for about 6 months now and it's annoying. Hopefully somebody can enlighten me on this issue and point me in the right direction to rectify this problem. Thanks in advance.

2011 535i xDrive, w/o comfort access
    Last edited by miltolam; 11-08-2019 at 10:38 PM.

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    Have you tried changing the key fob battery?
    just call me Nancy drew. Mysterious mystery solved!?...
    All joking aside. please post back and update if this solves your problem
    Last edited by Trainwreck914; 11-09-2019 at 09:24 AM.
    2002 525i

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    @Trainwreck914...Common sense would tell you to do that first. I replaced the battery with Duracells - on BOTH key fobs, same problem.

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    Quote Originally Posted by miltolam View Post
    @Trainwreck914...Common sense would tell you to do that first. I replaced the battery with Duracells - on BOTH key fobs, same problem.
    after replacing the battery, you should re-register the keyfob with the car. hold the keyfob next to the little symbol on the right side of the steering column and turn the ignition on without starting the car. I think that's all you have to do. see if that helps.
    Last edited by f10_M550i; 11-09-2019 at 11:38 PM.

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    hey, common sense not so common sometimes. You never mentioned you did. And I don’t like to assume.
    anyway. Do you have the aftermarket led logo lights installed (the puddle lights in the door)?
    Last edited by Trainwreck914; 11-09-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    2002 525i

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    @Trainwreck, Yes I do have the “cheap” puddle lights. I took them out and I am still getting that message. Nothing is wrong with the key fobs. Again, it doe this with both of my remotes. I’m baffled as to what the culprit is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '14 550/M, '03 540/M
    @Trainwreck, Yes I do have the “cheap” puddle lights. I took them out and I am still getting that message. Nothing is wrong with the key fobs. Again, it doe this with both of my remotes. I’m baffled as to what the culprit is.

The system has multiple antennas around the vehicle, but I think the main antenna for the keyless entry is in the trunk under the package shelf. do you have stuff in the trunk that might be blocking the signal?

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by f10_M550i View Post
    The system has multiple antennas around the vehicle, but I think the main antenna for the keyless entry is in the trunk under the package shelf. do you have stuff in the trunk that might be blocking the signal?
    Happy Veteran Day Sir...

I do have a few things in the compartment in the trunk but not much. I will remove them and see what happens.

My Cars
    11 550i
    I know exactly what your talking about. I went and got my battery replaced as well in my key, but started saying key not detected again. Now it seems to do it only every now and then. Honestly i really wouldn't worry about it not that big of a deal, at least to me it isn't. It's a weak signal in the key, need a new key fob most likely. I will pass on a $500 new key from BMW.

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    I honestly don’t think that it’s the key because 1. No matter which key fob I use, it get this message with both and 2. I have brand new Energizer batteries in both and 3. I don’t have any problems with starting the car, locking/unlocking it, opening the trunk, or any of the convenience features. I’ve tried removing all of the puddle lights and it still does it. I’ve even taken out the few items I have in the storage compartment in the trunk...still does it.

Again, this does not affect the performance of the car in any fashion. It’s just a nuisance that every time I open and close any of the doors while I’m in the car with it running, I get that “key not detected message”. I’m really determined to find the culprit of this issue because it’s really annoying.

My Cars
    11 550i
    I see well it seems like a different issue then, I have only one fob for my vehicle. If it's doing it with both of your fobs its not in the keys I agree.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by f10_M550i View Post
    after replacing the battery, you should re-register the keyfob with the car. hold the keyfob next to the little symbol on the right side of the steering column and turn the ignition on without starting the car. I think that's all you have to do. see if that helps.
    In post #4, a question was asked (see bolded text above in quote)...but I don't see where you ever responded to if you've tried that suggestion...which is also mentioned in the owners manual. I'm going to assume that your owners manual says the same thing mine does (see excerpt below)...but just in case it doesn't...I would look up the procedure in your manual just in case it is slightly different.

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    Sorry Qsilver7. I did do that and forgot to mention it. I honestly don’t think it’s the key, I’m starting to think that it’s an electrical glitch, a short, or maybe a grounding issue. I’m going to see if it throws a code.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Sorry Qsilver7. I did do that and forgot to mention it.
    Okay...thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure there were others (especially the silent majority) that may have wondered, too...but now we know you did try it and it didn't work to clear this issue up for you.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    2007 530xi
    Hi all, followed the forums for a few months first post or reply. Based on your description, how it occurs what you have done and all of the theories offered, my two cents is that it is most definitely electrical in the vehicle and not a fob issue, you are not likely to ever get it to throw a code since to the car there is no issue, there could be a loose connection, poor ground, a resistor going bad. When the vehicle is running and a door is opened you are adding to the load on the circuit, if you have a ground or resistor issue it might be pushing the circuit used to detect the fob beyond its operating range and causing the message, but not bad enough to be considered a system failure. if you can monitor the electrical system while create the problem that could be the quickest way to isolate it. If the antenna system is on the same circuit as either cabin lighting or another system that is enabled/disabled by opening a door you get closer to fixing it. Hope this helps in some way, I have done troubleshooting on telecom networks for 30 years and sometimes all it takes to resolve a trouble is stop trying to fix it and just observe

My Cars
    2011 535i xDrive
    Hey guys, I know this thread is somewhat outdated, I figured I’d give an update on this. I am in a F10 Facebook group and another member in that group put up a post with the exact same problem. He ran a diagnostic using BimmerLink and comparing apples, he and I had the same error code:

930784: FRONT AERIAL ANTENNA (IRV): SHORT CIRCUIT, OPEN LINE OR FAULTY

I did some due diligence on that and found a link pertaining to this issue. Turns out that there’s a sensor toward the rear of the center console that apparently got unplugged when I was fixing my cup holder some time back. Problem solved.

My Cars
    07 Tundra, 02 530 14 x5
    Glad to hear. And never worry about a thread being dated. That’s what makes these forums work. It may end up helping someone with this problem tomorrow or 10 years from now.
    2002 525i

My Cars
    2011 BMW 550i
    Just out of curiosity, where was the sensor exactly or what did it look like? I started thinking once I wrapped my interior I started having this same issue. Although this is not a huge deal like stated by some above, it’s annoying and somewhat embarrassing when you have others get in the car and your Nav lights up like a Christmas tree in Time Square. If you don’t have any additional info maybe I will just go out and rip apart my console again once it’s above freezing temps again. Thanks in advance.

My Cars
    bmw 335i
    Your comment is very true because I was looking for answers for this same issue and I stumbled across this forum which has the solution.

My Cars
    2011 535i, 2011 328i
    I recently had this issue and once I changed my car battery, the issue went away.
    Mind you, I started getting the issue after the car battery died, and even when it was fully charged up, I got the key not found message even though the car can start fine.
    Once I changed the battery the message went away about 4-5 hours later and is now permanently gone

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 convertible
    Hey guys, I know this thread is somewhat outdated, I figured I’d give an update on this. I am in a F10 Facebook group and another member in that group put up a post with the exact same problem. He ran a diagnostic using BimmerLink and comparing apples, he and I had the same error code:

930784: FRONT AERIAL ANTENNA (IRV): SHORT CIRCUIT, OPEN LINE OR FAULTY

I did some due diligence on that and found a link pertaining to this issue. Turns out that there’s a sensor toward the rear of the center console that apparently got unplugged when I was fixing my cup holder some time back. Problem solved.

Hi,

Thanks for your precious feedback.
    I m having exactly the same issue
    I will try to have a look on the antenna located in the center console also

I have a bmw x6 e71 2010, is it at the same location than you ?
    so, it is right at the cup holder area ?

not the rear vents for rear passengers ?

thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by kensou View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for your precious feedback.
    I m having exactly the same issue
    I will try to have a look on the antenna located in the center console also

I have a bmw x6 e71 2010, is it at the same location than you ?
    so, it is right at the cup holder area ?

not the rear vents for rear passengers ?

thanks
    The CA (comfort access) aerials can be in slightly different locations depending on the model. This is a f10 5 series forum so yes, the aerials are in slightly different locations than an e71 SAV.

See the images below for the e71 X6 CA aerial locations.

W10b - Interior front center console aerial

W11b - Interior rear center console aerial

W13 & 101171 - Interior luggage compartment aerials

W14 - exterior bumper aerial
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-23-2024 at 07:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 E46 M3 convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    The CA (comfort access) aerials can be in slightly different locations depending on the model. This is a f10 5 series forum so yes, the aerials are in slightly different locations than an e71 SAV.

See the images below for the e71 X6 CA aerial locations.

W10b - Interior front center console aerial

W11b - Interior rear center console aerial

W13 & 101171 - Interior luggage compartment aerials

W14 - exterior bumper aerial

Man,

You are gold !

Thanks a lot !!!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i