Thread: planning to buy 2015-17 X1 28i

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport

planning to buy 2015-17 X1 28i

Hi All,
    I am to new to this forum. Like to consider to buy a used 2015-17 X1 28i,but I didn't see any members mention about the reliability of this suv.
    I want your advice about which year is better as I see only 2016 onward have a back up camera, other than that the car well equipped with all the features that I like.
    Your advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Patrick

My Cars
    2015 X1
    We got my wife a 2015 coming off it's lease (50K miles on it) about 2 years ago, to replace her high mileage 2005 X3, which was a great vehicle for us in the 10 years we owned it. The X3 was an ex-lease vehicle as well, with the same mileage as the X1. Anyway so far we've had a great experience with her X1, no repairs in the 18K miles we've owned it. We did have it's 60K service done, along with other fluid changes, and of course oil changes, but other than that nada. It drives really nice, very reliable in snow and cold weather. It's also fast with it's twin turbos, though we drive it conservatively.

One thing I'll say with BMWs is: buy the simplest version you can. The ones overloaded with electronics are much less reliable, imho. Our X3, which had a very spartan interior - not even a nav screen - was very reliable over the 175K miles of ownership for us. Compare that to the X5s of the same era, which our mechanic said had many expensive electronic related issues. Thus with the X1, we looked for something simple again. Ours doesn't have a nav screen or much else - just AC, seat heaters, and heated steering wheel as extras so there's less to break down. Oh and I should mention we always garage our vehicles.

So yeah, buy basic, and do the maintenance needed at the proper intervals and you should be good to go.

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndgenerationX1 View Post
    We got my wife a 2015 coming off it's lease (50K miles on it) about 2 years ago, to replace her high mileage 2005 X3, which was a great vehicle for us in the 10 years we owned it. The X3 was an ex-lease vehicle as well, with the same mileage as the X1. Anyway so far we've had a great experience with her X1, no repairs in the 18K miles we've owned it. We did have it's 60K service done, along with other fluid changes, and of course oil changes, but other than that nada. It drives really nice, very reliable in snow and cold weather. It's also fast with it's twin turbos, though we drive it conservatively.

One thing I'll say with BMWs is: buy the simplest version you can. The ones overloaded with electronics are much less reliable, imho. Our X3, which had a very spartan interior - not even a nav screen - was very reliable over the 175K miles of ownership for us. Compare that to the X5s of the same era, which our mechanic said had many expensive electronic related issues. Thus with the X1, we looked for something simple again. Ours doesn't have a nav screen or much else - just AC, seat heaters, and heated steering wheel as extras so there's less to break down. Oh and I should mention we always garage our vehicles.

So yeah, buy basic, and do the maintenance needed at the proper intervals and you should be good to go.

Thanks for your honest experience with your 15 X1.
    As I go through auto review on the web that 2016 has been completely upgraded outside and inside but with the same engine design. The used car for that year is fairly reasonable around $27-29K depends the mileage in Canada,it is a lot cheaper in the US.
    My wife told me not to change Lexus to BMW as it's very expensive to maintenance, but I don't like Lexus car drive just like a turtle and poor gas mileage.
    I know Lexus has a fairly low depreciation value as compare to BMW for the same years, but BMW is very good looking outside/inside from my perspective opinion.
    Anyway, I will wait and see by early spring next year the price for 16 X1 may come down a little bit.

My Cars
    2015 X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpat88 View Post
    Thanks for your honest experience with your 15 X1.
    As I go through auto review on the web that 2016 has been completely upgraded outside and inside but with the same engine design. The used car for that year is fairly reasonable around $27-29K depends the mileage in Canada,it is a lot cheaper in the US.
    My wife told me not to change Lexus to BMW as it's very expensive to maintenance, but I don't like Lexus car drive just like a turtle and poor gas mileage.
    I know Lexus has a fairly low depreciation value as compare to BMW for the same years, but BMW is very good looking outside/inside from my perspective opinion.
    Anyway, I will wait and see by early spring next year the price for 16 X1 may come down a little bit.
    We paid $15K for my wife's 2 years ago. I think your waiting until spring is a good idea, and definitely do your research. Also have the vehicle you're thinking of buying checked out with a pre-purchase inspection unless the one you want is being sold a by a dealer and is certified by them. To me no other cars drive like BMWs, even their SUVs feel tight and handle well. If you buy a reliable model you'll get a really nice vehicle.

My Cars
    '06 BMW X3
    I prefer the 2016+ refresh and the M-sport option. The front end looks better IMO. I hate the Lexus'y angled underbrow on the front bumper on all cars these days. You may also want to look for a dark color/black as the rear bumper underneath has a weird dark grey panel for all cars. Kind of blends in with my black car though. You could also get it sprayed I guess. Weird design choice by BMW on that.

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I prefer the 2016+ refresh and the M-sport option. The front end looks better IMO. I hate the Lexus'y angled underbrow on the front bumper on all cars these days. You may also want to look for a dark color/black as the rear bumper underneath has a weird dark grey panel for all cars. Kind of blends in with my black car though. You could also get it sprayed I guess. Weird design choice by BMW on that.
    I total agreed with you about the 2016 + refresh body style. I had the Lexus over a year since I brought used 15 model and I hated the front facial aggressive style after 2015 onward, that's why I am thinking about to buy the BMW X1 small SUV and have better gas mileage even using premium unleaded gas.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    We just bought a 2017 X1 yesterday for my wife. She drove it home in heavy traffic.. she loves it and I really like too. Used to have an X5 among other BMW's... drives like a BMW, comfortable like a BMW... this afternoon we have 300 mile road trip to flesh it out fully.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallatauer View Post
    We just bought a 2017 X1 yesterday for my wife. She drove it home in heavy traffic.. she loves it and I really like too. Used to have an X5 among other BMW's... drives like a BMW, comfortable like a BMW... this afternoon we have 300 mile road trip to flesh it out fully.
    Congratulation to your new 17 X1 owner.
    I just brought a 16--X1 with M sport line, executive package, premium package enhanced for $27K and only had 29,300 Km. will pick from the dealer this Saturday.

My Cars
    E36 328is, E39 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Vicpat88 View Post
    Congratulation to your new 17 X1 owner.
    I just brought a 16--X1 with M sport line, executive package, premium package enhanced for $27K and only had 29,300 Km. will pick from the dealer this Saturday.
    Ouch on the price you paid. Ours isn't a CPO but still under factory warranty. 2017, 31k miles... out the door with taxes and tags $22k. Local dealers wanted $23,500 before taxes for a 2016.
    Lime Rock Park... the most fun you can have in a mile and a half.

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallatauer View Post
    Ouch on the price you paid. Ours isn't a CPO but still under factory warranty. 2017, 31k miles... out the door with taxes and tags $22k. Local dealers wanted $23,500 before taxes for a 2016.
    To be fair his was loaded and notice he says 29 km not miles. That’s basically a new car. Also as reported further up In this thread, the Canadian market is pricier than USA.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)

My Cars
    2016 X1 28i M Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    To be fair his was loaded and notice he says 29 km not miles. That’s basically a new car. Also as reported further up In this thread, the Canadian market is pricier than USA.
    My car price is Canadian dollars of $27k as compare to the US is not that high after the exchange rate, it's a CPO car and I brought it from the BMW dealer.

My Cars
    2015 BMW X1 SDrive 28i
    I bought a 2015 X1 SDrive 28i about 6 weeks ago from a fairly local BMW dealer. Premium package and some other goodies with 70k miles. Out the door with taxes and all that jazz I paid about $14k. Dealer refinished the wheels for me, touched up the paint and fixed everything I asked them to fix.

I had a 2016 Cherokee KL Limited 4x4 before this and hated it. It was sluggish at best. Cheaply made. Handled poorly. And I was averaging about 13mpg which is only 2mpg more than the 2013 Tundra with the 5.7L v8 I had before.

The X1 is a breath of fresh air. Plenty of power. Fun to drive. Comfortable. Excellent gas mileage (I’m getting about 25mpg combined). Sporty.

As a single dad, it offers enough room in the trunk for kid stuff. There’s enough room for her car seat behind the passenger seat (I’m 6’2 so behind me would have been a little tight).

I put about 8000 miles a year on a car so figure this one should last me, oh, about 15 years or so. Lol

Really impressed with this car and a total BMW fan at this point. I also prefer the 15 body style to the 16, but that’s personal preference.

My only regret is that it doesn’t have the MSport package but it did tick all my other boxes for features and technology.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro