Thread: anchor points for convertible top front cover

My Cars
    1997 328i

anchor points for convertible top front cover

My top finally works, most of the time, so I am counting that as a victory. However, when the top has groaned its way to a final "up and sealed" position, the plastic piece, called "the cover" that spans the front of the windshield and is attached to the convertible top, flops around where it looks like it should be attached to the convertible top metal frame. Is there a connector that is supposed to connect the cover to the metal frame of the top? Thanks in advance for any advice.

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Center screw and then a tab on either end. checkout realoem, enter your vin and look at the exploded pics for the details.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    thanks for the reply. I have looked at the Realoem site and found the cover but there is no detail on the side mounting points. On my cover there is nothing. Are the tabs integral with the cover or are they separate fasteners like those on the interior door panels, that is replaceable?

My Cars
    22 doors and 4 tops
    Side tabs were hot melted to the cover. search e36 convertible header panel and I'm sure you will find pics. As well as prices that will may you crap your pants. I do have a couple and sell them for much less if needed.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Vert 5 Speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAnthony View Post
    thanks for the reply. I have looked at the Realoem site and found the cover but there is no detail on the side mounting points. On my cover there is nothing. Are the tabs integral with the cover or are they separate fasteners like those on the interior door panels, that is replaceable?

They are not replaceable like the door tabs. They also break easily. What I had to finally do is drill a clearance hole for a 6-32, 8-32 or 10-32 flathead machine screw in the plastic cover and then when you have it in place, use the drill bit for the tapping hole associated with the screw size you are using and make a mark on the metal piece above the cover attachment points.

Take the cover off and drill your pilot hole and then run your tap through it. Be mindful of the angle you are drilling and tapping into the metal so as to not be at a different angle than the screw coming through the plastic cover. Also countersink the clearance hole so the flat head screw will sit flush. Take your time and countersink a little at a time so you don't go too deep or even completely through the cover.

I used 6-32 stainless steel screws, scuffed the heads and then painted them black so they blended right in. If a person didn't know they were there, they wouldn't see them. Now the cover sits properly and tight against the headliner.

Hope this helps you.

My Cars
    1999 M3 Vert 5 Speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAnthony View Post

They are part of the cover. I don't know if they are glued or molded in. I do know they break very easily and I have never seen any replacements for them.

The screw trick works very well if you take your time, countersink carefully and paint the screw heads black.

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Is it the right side that is hanging? On my 328i the right side was broken. Looking at how the top is stowed, the slightly curved trim that this piece is, seems to be push flat when the lid closes (which has two little feet that push on the top). If something that is curved is bent, the weakest side will fail.

It's basically a bad design. Too bad because I like the idea. The early/non-fullu auto roofs don't have these 2 extension on the sides.

On my M3, so far so good. Question is for how long...
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/