Thread: 740i - Pain in the a** - everything take twice!

My Cars
    2013 740i

740i - Pain in the a** - everything take twice!

I have owned several BMWs and liked most of them. But I have serious doubts about the beautiful used 2013 740i I just got.

- Opening the door takes two pulls
    - Turning on the car, without the Eco, takes two pushes of the starter button
    - Turning off the car takes two pushes of the starter button, one with the foot off the brake
    - Opening the moonroof take two pulls of the button - one for the screen and a second for the roof
    - The AC/heater is always on when I start the car, even if I have it off when I turn off the car

WTF? What a pain in the ass. Am I missing something? Why would someone design a car this way?

My Cars
    Opening the door should take one pull. Try it a little slower. I'm assuming you're using comfort access? Stick your hand in the door handle and wait a split second for it to unlock before pulling.

Turning on the car takes one press. Get in, foot on the brake, press start button for approximately a half to one second and it will start.

Turning off the engine takes one push. Turning off the accessories takes a second push, or it will turn off when you lock the car (or after a few minutes if you don't lock the car).

Normal for the moonroof. Some people drive around with the glass closed and shade open. Hence one press opens the shade, and a second opens the glass.

Not sure about your heater being on. I've never noticed nor had anyone complain about it.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevenson927 View Post
    I have owned several BMWs and liked most of them. But I have serious doubts about the beautiful used 2013 740i I just got.

- Opening the door takes two pulls
    - Turning on the car, without the Eco, takes two pushes of the starter button
    - Turning off the car takes two pushes of the starter button, one with the foot off the brake
    - Opening the moonroof take two pulls of the button - one for the screen and a second for the roof
    - The AC/heater is always on when I start the car, even if I have it off when I turn off the car

WTF? What a pain in the ass. Am I missing something? Why would someone design a car this way?
    All the things you mention except for the last item are operator errors. They are only functioning that way because you've chosen not to select another option for that function to perform another way. Not saying this to be mean...but have you referred back to your owners manual to see how all the functions (except the last one) can be performed?

• 1 - Two pulls of the door handle means that you're opening a locked door. There are selections you can make in iDrive to not lock the doors or you can use the central locking button to unlock the doors. Or you can code the car to unlock the doors upon shut down.
    • 2 & 3 - Others have already mentioned how the START button functions...and again, I would refer you back to the owners manual for start-up and shut-down possibilities.
    • 4 - Unless things have changed...there's always been a way to open the shade and sunroof together...which have been explained in every BMW owners manual I've owned that had a moon roof (glass roof w/shade). My F06 is the only one that is different in that the glass roof panel only tilts open...so the double push of the sunroof switch doesn't perform the same. Again, refer back to your owners manual for moonroof & shade panel operational functions. I bet there's an explanation for operating the shade & roof panel together.
    • 5 - the car comes with an auto IHKA (climate control system) which also has interior recirculation filters that remove dust and pollen that comes inside the car on the passengers and when the doors are open. So the system comes on by default. If the driver selects to turn the climate system off...it will remain off if the car is restarted within the 16 minute SLEEP/WAKE mode. If you come back to the car after the car has gone into sleep mode...then the system turns back on AT THE LOWEST FAN SPEED VELOCITY...which then allows you to shut the system off again with ONLY 1 PRESS OF THE FAN SPEED BUTTON if you still desire the system to be totally off.

If that is too much and sends you over the edge, then perhaps this isn't the type of car for you.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 11-05-2019 at 03:05 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)