Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2001 740i M-Sport E38 LS/LQ9 Swap Build

My Cars
    740i , F350

2001 740i M-Sport E38 LS/LQ9 Swap Build

Got the 6.0 and 4l80e separated. Threw the engine on a stand to tear down. Since I’ve moved into my new place haven’t had the time to clear out the garage and lay everything out (tools,shelving,boxes) but got my work station ready to go ready for tear down.

No matter how much fluid I thought I drained, by the end of putting the motor up on the stand then taking the water pump off, I managed to flood my garage with coolant Pulled the valve covers on the engine and I’m not surprised, it’s straight up gunk. I’m legit debating to just regasket the motor and do some cleaning and just send it or since it’s out, just do full rebuild. My plan is to run it N/A until I source all the parts to go boosted. I just don’t wanna sit on the project for a whole year sourcing boost parts.

Anyways, I’m feeling pretty good about the 4l80e. When it was in the van it shifted firm and overall felt like how a trans should be. After splitting it off the motor, I see a brand newish torque converter and noticed the fluid is pink in the trans so I assume some trans work was done recently, gonna throw in a hd2 shift kit in it and call it a day.

Test fitted the engine mounts for the fun of it.
    Gonna start to tear the front end off the 740i starting tomorrow and should have the motor and trans out by Friday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Vladkurk; 03-12-2020 at 01:41 AM.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    Good news about the trans. Engine is

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Yeah I’m pretty happy about the trans. I think I found a stamp on it from a shop that rebuilt it so that’s very good news. Just gonna toss a HD2 kit into it.

Oh yeah the engine is pretty gunked up I’m not gonna tear it down yet but for sure I’ll have the motor all taken apart in the next couple weeks. I’m wanting to pull the m62/trans outta the bmw starting tomorrow.

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Had some time today after work to pull the engine/trans out from the Bimmer.

Honestly the engine was pretty easy to pull out. Not a big deal compared to pulling out the LQ4 Combo.

Just noticed today but the chain Grenade’d the timing cover and part of the head on the M62 lol

One of the pics is a comparison of the E38 trans and the 4l80e trans. Pretty dang close in size.

Soon I’ll be tearing down the LS..

My Cars
    740i , F350

Hit the engine bay with some purple power and a brush since the whole engine is out. Also gonna be much better to work with than a oil/grease filled 20 year old engine bay

Last edited by Vladkurk; 03-18-2020 at 12:12 PM.

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Much improved! Good going.
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Yep it’s going. Probably gonna tear into the LQ4 sometime this weekend.

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Started to tear it down. Gonna finish taking the crank out Monday and hopefully I can find a machine shop open to resurface the heads and block to clean em up and hot tank them all too. Everything looks good. Took one piston out and seemed fine and checked a few bearings and all is good. The cam is worn so definitely gonna go with some bigger cam. More pics coming soon

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    I am a bit surprised -- I don't see a chain damper. Didn't all Lxx engines have a chain damper by '05?
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    740i , F350

No idea, maybe because it’s a Van motor it didn’t get one yet. What’s nice is it’s a 06 so it’s got the upgraded floating style gen 4 rods

Last edited by Vladkurk; 03-22-2020 at 11:26 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    That engine bay came back to life lol, looking good man.

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Oh yeah 20 years of just grease and oil all caked on there lol Looks much much better. Gonna look cleaner in the end since everything but the ABS is probably getting ripped out. All those brackets and pcv tubes/hoses going away.

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Stripped down the rest of the block to drop off at the machine shop this week

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Got the block from the machine shop.

Ready to paint and put it together once I get the crank shaft back from them.

I had them polish the crank and after polishing the rods came out good and in spec but the mains had some scratches that were able to catch with my nail so I just left it at the machine shop and I’m going .010 over on the mains. Just need some oversized mains and STD rods bearings.

The cylinder bore was measured and it’s decent no reason to bore it over so that’s good news. Trying to save money where I can so I will be honing it myself.

Overall pretty happy how It came out. Fresh deck surface, New cam bearings and block all clean ready for paint.

In the pic the little white stuff on the deck surface is just paper towel. Shouldn’t of used paper towel to apply wd40 to the block

My Cars
    Bmw E39 528i
    Going to look like a brand new block with paint and you'r new surfaces. Honing is messy as hell but worth it!

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Oh yeah! I got the block primed last night and I’m gonna paint it and cure it with a heater for the week and it’s gonna come out sick.

Once I get my crank and heads back from machine shop I’ll hone the block out. It’s gonna be messy for sure.

Pretty happy that I didn’t have to bore it over. I can’t find any flat tops in 4.020 or 4.030 that don’t cost an arm and leg

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Got some base coat on, gonna let it dry and heat it up with propane heater to cure it best I can

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Little update

Just waiting on all my stuff to come from the machine shop. Once I get everything back, motors getting put together and in it goes into the 740 so I can start the wiring process and all the other fun stuff.
    Don’t wanna start anything else until the motors put together. To start the electrical part I’ll need to have the motor in so I can route the harness and mate it with the car.

Honestly can’t wait. Just wanna drive the car haha

My goal is to be running by July 4th. It’s a long shot but I’m ready to give it a try

My Cars
    Mazda 3
    I’m in to see a E38 build A) actually completed and B) well documented. Seems they tend to crash and burn

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Hopefully I document everything as best I can, I’m in too much time and effort and money already to give up on the swap. Ain’t gonna happen. It’s definitely going in the right way though.

This whole corona stuff going on threw everything off. I just got the crank shaft back from the machine shop this Friday. I picked up the block almost a month ago and now just got the crank back. It’s taking forever but not much I can do.

Now that I know what size bearings I need, just ordered all my parts to assemble the motor yesterday.

Once the motor and trans is sitting in the car i feel like everything will come into place much quicker than the motor rebuild itself. I have most of the parts to finish the swap sitting here waiting for the swap to get bolted in the car.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Wow, this is the exact swap I am currently planning. I just met with a local LS swap expert and he gave me some great pointers. Very anxious to see how yours progresses. I will do a video/photo blog of my project as it gets moving, but please keep the posts coming; watching this with baited breath.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    Would you be able to please measure the dimensions of the ZF 5hp24 vs the 4L80E? I am trying to see if I am able to fit a 6L80E, but I can't find dimension specs on either of these two... Many Thanks>

My Cars
    740i , F350
    Quote Originally Posted by KingAcquisition View Post
    Would you be able to please measure the dimensions of the ZF 5hp24 vs the 4L80E? I am trying to see if I am able to fit a 6L80E, but I can't find dimension specs on either of these two... Many Thanks>
    I can measure but 4l80 isn’t that much bigger. It’s length is larger than the bell housing difference but I can measure.

My Cars
    740i , F350

Got some work in and the short block is ready! Picking up my heads from machine shop and gonna get those prepped and ready so I can have a Longblock I can slide in the car. Got headgaskets, LS7 lifters, stage 2 cam and some gaskets coming to get it together. Still need to order pushrods. Not sure what length I will need since block and heads were surfaced.

My Cars
    2001 740i M-Sport
    That thing looks great! Can you offer a few sentences about why you picked that specific LS and how you choose which parts to replace/reuse?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast