Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: Drilling new lug holes on 4x108 Saab wheels

My Cars
    1987 325E

Drilling new lug holes on 4x108 Saab wheels

Hi guys, this might be a stupid question, but Ive found an insane deal on set of 4 saab trx wheels that are 4x108 patterned. Theres alot of space in between the lug holes and Im wondering how safe it would be tdrill out 4x100 holes between the existing 4x108 ones. I took machining and drafting at trade school and I have access to a milling machine to measure the dimensions very precisely, but Im just looking for feedback. The wheels seem in great shape and were stored in a climate controlled garage so i doubt there is any tensile integrity loss on them. Below is a picture of what they look like. Thanks!

My Cars
    2001 525it
    Why would want to do that, is there something special about these wheels

My Cars
    1987 325E
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    Why would want to do that, is there something special about these wheels
    Yeah they are special in the saab community, but I love the style, almost like Alpinas. Not to mention I'm on a really tight budget with this car and I have alot of parts to buy and I cant afford a good set of wheels or even used wheels on craigslist/facebook. I figure this is a good starting point and these wheels are much better quality than if i dropped $450 on some knockoff rs type wheels on ebay or something. Im getting the set of 4 for a buck, cant beat that

- - - Updated - - -

Also my brother in law owns a machine shop and can make me spacers to make sure the offset/spacing is right on. I could even potentially weld plugs in the existing lug holes and re-drill them for 4x100, but universal wheels have 8+ holes in them so I dont see anything that could be dangerous in doing it the way I wrote in the post.

My Cars
    '77 turbo 320i, '07 Subi
    Go for it. Just figure out a way to cover the existing holes. Presuming you aren't building a track car it will be fine.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3
    Um,.... noooo do not "Go for it". You will be compromising the integrity (strength) of the wheels and you will have no way of properly stress testing each one prior to driving on them. We do not want to see the next thread saying "Writing this from the hospital...rim snapped while on the highway doing 70MPH".

Get yourself quality OEM rims and call it a day.