Thread: E36 Coupe Main Hoop Baseplates

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more

E36 Coupe Main Hoop Baseplates

Would anyone mind sharing pictures of their main hoop base plates?

Our rulebook states that:
    A. Each mounting plate or box shall be at least .08-inch thick steel
    B. Each mounting plate or box must be fully welded to the structure of the vehicle
    C. Each mounting plate or box shall not be greater than 100 square inches and shall be no greater than 12-inchesor less than 2-inches on a side. The mounting plate may be multi-angled but must not exceed these dimensionsin a flat plane
    D. Whenever possible, mounting plates shall extend onto a vertical section of the structure such as a rocker boxor door pillar

Our driver is decently tall 6' and it sounds like we will be using a floor mounted pedal box, so getting the main hoop as far back as possible is the goal.

Here is a rough idea on what I am thinking, obviously unfinished.

Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

I would like to extend the plate further towards the rear of the vehicle, but it is currently 2.25" on the rear most edge and any further will put that edge out of Rule C, Unless instead of squaring it off on the back I make it more of a triangle shape and get rid of that edge completely.

Just curious to see what others have done

My Cars
    F150, E36 M3, 67 Fbird
    For one thing, make sure that with the main hoop that far back you may run into issues getting the correct angel of the rear support bars. (there must be at least 30 degrees between the main hoop and the rear braces)

I mounted mine in the more traditional locations.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    by more traditional locations you mean the floor just in front of the rear seat hump? Most E36s I see in person have it on the surface I was planning on using

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Not sure if this helps at all

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    F150, E36 M3, 67 Fbird
    IMG_1383.jpg

Yes on the floor. I am just starting this cage now and I use the hole to drop the main 4 point down once it is tacked solid so that i can do complete welds. Then raise it up and slide the steel plates under them.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    e36 main hoop base.JPG

this is from Enjuku's site for their pre-fabbed cages and this is where we need the hoop to land, but of course they don't have photos with baseplates in haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ctwide3project View Post
    Not sure if this helps at all

wow, that's pretty far forward for the hoop, are you able to fit comfortably still?

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36

E36 Coupe Main Hoop Baseplates

The angle of that picture isn't great but I have 4" from the rear of my seat to the harness bar
    Last edited by Ctwide3project; 11-01-2019 at 06:15 PM.

My Cars
    F150, E36 M3, 67 Fbird
    In addition I tie the rear subframe mounts to the cage and your baseplate is directly where the trailing arm mount is.

Good conversation!

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    I didnt tie into my subframe unfortunately. I didn't do the usual to the bulkhead setup either though, that didnt seem structural enough for my liking so I went to the rear unibody/box frame area for my rear down bars

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    And i agree, very good conversation indeed!

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Sub'd for the answer. If I install a legal cage, I'll need the main hoop back as far as possible also.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas02E39 View Post
    In addition I tie the rear subframe mounts to the cage and your baseplate is directly where the trailing arm mount is.

Good conversation!
    I wish we were allowed to do this, but it is strictly forbidden

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    this is what I ended up doing, I still need to make 2 small pieces to finish it though

Untitled by novablue454, on Flickr

My Cars
    F150, E36 M3, 67 Fbird
    With 315's in the rear, strengthening those mounts was pretty important on my car. I did all the metal work on the flairs. Running in GTS in NASA and CMod in BMWCCA racing it all legal.

Race Car 8-2016 007.jpg

My Cars
    E92, E46, E36
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas02E39 View Post
    With 315's in the rear, strengthening those mounts was pretty important on my car. I did all the metal work on the flairs. Running in GTS in NASA and CMod in BMWCCA racing it all legal.

Race Car 8-2016 007.jpg
    Awesome to see someone else who built their own flares! Here is mine, not fully finished but 100% built by me widebody kit, nothing was bought. I wish more people were showed their work on here

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Question to OP, is there a "On all closed cars, the main hoop must be as close as possible to the roof and “B” pillars" clause in your rule book?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Question to OP, is there a "On all closed cars, the main hoop must be as close as possible to the roof and “B” pillars" clause in your rule book?
    No, just the roof. This is our whole "Main Hoop" section

2.2.6 MAIN HOOP
    A. The main roll hoop (behind the driver) shall extend the full width of the driver/passenger compartment andshall be as near the roof as possible with a maximum of 4 bends, totaling 180 degrees ± 10degrees.
    B. The roll cage main hoop should start from the floor of the vehicle and be attached to the chassis/unibody viaMounting Plate specifications.
    C. Diagonal lateral brace is a piece of tubing equal to the roll bar diameter, installed across the main hoop toprevent lateral distortion. This brace must attach to the driver side upper corner of the main hoop, not morethan 6-inches from the center of the radius, and to the opposing leg, not more than 6-inches from the baseplate.
    D. A horizontal brace is a piece of tubing equal to the roll bar diameter, installed behind the driver’s seat for thepurpose of mounting seat belts. This tube shall be no higher than shoulder height and continue the full widthof the main hoop, attached to both legs.
    E. The diagonal brace or the horizontal brace must be one continuous piece of tube, with the other attaching toit.

My Cars
    '99 M3 '10 X5 35d '02 M3
    This admittedly feels like a dumb call out but did you check with someone to see what they mean by floor? Would suck to build the thing only to find out they deem your attachment not actually on the floor.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    This admittedly feels like a dumb call out but did you check with someone to see what they mean by floor? Would suck to build the thing only to find out they deem your attachment not actually on the floor.
    I was wondering the same.

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkRacing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    I was wondering the same.
    I know the location is allowed. The Enjuku Racing pre-fab cage lands here and is designed around our series rules. Also, our previous chassis had the main hoop land on this area and passed tech all over the country without issue. The previous builder landed the hoop towards the leading edge (towards the dash) edge of the plate, and I am just trying to move it back a few inches for valuable space. It was the 2" rule that was concerning me as I wasn't able to make the plate extend towards the rear bulkhead as far as I would have liked, but it is 2.25" on the finished plate.