I've been lurking on this sub-forum off and on for a couple years now, though usually inhabit the Z3 forum. I kind of wanted an E34 wagon for its simplicity, but all the ones I've looked at were either rusty of pretty well trashed.
E39's seem to be in generally much better condition, maybe because they're newer.
Long story short, I picked up a high-milage 2001 525/auto in Sienna about 2 months back. It drove back to my Mom's place (3 hours from where I live) fine, but was making some mild rattling noises after the 25 minute trip there. I did touch on 95 mph briefly on the Interstate, and it got there quick. Did I mention it has an ESS twin screw?
I haven't gotten the car home yet, but have picked up a 6 speed out of a Z4, all the E39 pedal parts, and have a line on a 330ZHP 3.0. Yes, I read Stuck's build a few times from 5 or so years back, and that is my inspiration.
The twin screw is making a bit of rattle when everything is fully warmed up. I'm not sure if its a bearing (rotors kissing?) or a drive coupler. The noise seems to transfer into the exhaust under the front floor, and no, its not rattling ceramic from the cats. Worst case, I buy a fresh unit from ESS. They have given me a price of close to $2000 in USD, so it sounds like from Europe. Though I emailed ESS in Arizona, the reply came from Norway. A new supercharger wouldn't break the budget with what I paid for the car, but I need to get it apart to see what going on.
I'm also looking into adding the Laminova cores to the intake manifold for intercooling.
Anyone out there with an ESS stage 2 that has had the manifold apart for details on the intercooler?
This build will not happen overnight, but if it comes fully together, should make a nice Touring.
From paperwork that came with the car, it looks like Positive Performance in Fullerton , CA did the TS install around December of 2010. Does anybody know this car?
-Donny