Thread: Any experience with LED aftermarket tail lights?

My Cars
    Check the Signature

Any experience with LED aftermarket tail lights?

Specifically these

https://shop.redline360.com/products...BoC7AYQAvD_BwE

They look great and my current ones are from a 2000 with the yellow turn signals, they need to be polished up, but I like them. What I don't like is the constant wack a mole of rear tail light errors. I replaced everything a few years back, all new bulb holders from BMW, cleaned and greased all contacts, new bulbs and I have had an unending series of errors. I can go weeks without one then BOOM, I tweak one and then another one or I use my trunk and I get a new one.

This seems like it would do everything I need, wondering what everyone else is doing.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD
    '92 Olds Toronado Trofeo (Project)

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)
    '20 M2:Competition 6spd (Sold)

My Cars
    '01 E38 '99 DINAN 5
    I have those taillights and love them! They are a direct swap and look amazing with no errors.

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    I have them too, they work quite well. The LED bars for the parking lights are a bit dim in anything but night situations, but look fine at night. Basically not quite OEM-level brightness. The brake lights are quite bright and fine for daytime. I occasionally get "Check Rear Lights" messages on the OBC board, but it has always cleared itself the next time I start the car. Perhaps a loose connection, not sure. They always seem to be functioning fine when I check.

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    I have them too, they work quite well. The LED bars for the parking lights are a bit dim in anything but night situations, but look fine at night. Basically not quite OEM-level brightness. The brake lights are quite bright and fine for daytime. I occasionally get "Check Rear Lights" messages on the OBC board, but it has always cleared itself the next time I start the car. Perhaps a loose connection, not sure. They always seem to be functioning fine when I check.

Good info, I want BRIGHTER brake lights, I'm too paranoid to get smoked ones. But I guess as good as 20yr+ OEM isn't bad for the price.

But if you are still getting the error that would leave me back where I started.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DIEGOBMW View Post
    I have those taillights and love them! They are a direct swap and look amazing with no errors.

You wouldn't have a night time pic of them would you?
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonevickis View Post
    Good info, I want BRIGHTER brake lights, I'm too paranoid to get smoked ones. But I guess as good as 20yr+ OEM isn't bad for the price.

But if you are still getting the error that would leave me back where I started.

- - - Updated - - -

You wouldn't have a night time pic of them would you?
    Others have reported they work fine with no errors. I think mine is either a connection issue with the car, or perhaps occasionally the LCM isn't sure all the voltages match. It is relatively rare (like, once every 2 weeks) and it pops up when I turn off the car, and then is cleared the next time I start the car. I don't think it's typical of the lights.

IMG_20190611_204826-01.jpeg

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    OH! Thanks for the clarification, I can live with a once in a blue moon error, if it did befall me.

Thanks for the pic, I would say my mind is made up.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    Don't bother with ANY aftermarket LED taillights for our cars if you live or drive your car in a rainy and damp climate. No matter what aftermarket brand (I haven't seen any good ones so far), the insulation between the open rear of the taillights to the actual physical car body is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! The problem isn't with the LEDs not working (they should), but in the left taillight housing is all the connections with the radio, CD Player, and the widescreen navigation. Any moisture in here from the outside weather will absolutely destroy and corrode those components with the aftermarket foam they call "insulation". I know it looks outdated, but talking from experience, OEM works best here! I had to replace all the electrical wiring and modules to get my widescreen navigation to turn on. For a year or so, I had nothing but a dark, blank screen. Take a look at the "seal" in the upper left hand of the attached picture.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i Sport

Any experience with LED aftermarket tail lights?

Quote Originally Posted by ramacher View Post
    Don't bother with ANY aftermarket LED taillights for our cars if you live or drive your car in a rainy and damp climate. No matter what aftermarket brand (I haven't seen any good ones so far), the insulation between the open rear of the taillights to the actual physical car body is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! The problem isn't with the LEDs not working (they should), but in the left taillight housing is all the connections with the radio, CD Player, and the widescreen navigation. Any moisture in here from the outside weather will absolutely destroy and corrode those components with the aftermarket foam they call a “gasket”.

I know it looks outdated, but talking from experience, OEM works best here! I had to replace all the electrical wiring and modules to get my widescreen navigation to turn on. For a year or so, I had nothing but a dark, blank screen. Take a look at the "seal" in the upper portion of the attached picture.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rhein Amacher; 11-05-2019 at 08:34 AM.

My Cars
    E38, E39, 2020 GRACHE
    Yup what ram said. Aftermarket tail lights for these cars all are garbage and leak, re Gard less of price. Do not buy aftermarket tails for these cars.
    For those of you with aftermarket tails, when's the last time you checked your trunks under the battery and under the amps/cd chargers? Probably shows evidence of water leaking into those areas.
    Have never seen a pair of aftermarket tails that do not leak and I've bought a lot of these cars with them on them..all different styes. they always get scrapped with the cars. garbage
    Personally I think these led's looks ugly, I must be the only one.

My Cars
    01 740i , 750i, 330CI
    I live in SoCal so must have lucked out. Only been in a couple of heavy rains since I've installed these, but also wash it regularly (by hand). Been about 4 years with them on, no LED failures, or errors and no leaks.

I really like mine and feel that they bring a more modern touch (coupled with the Angel Eyes, it just didn't make sense for me to keep the old OEMs).
    Attached Images Attached Images

E38 740i Jet Black/Black Sport Package | Power Rear and Manual Rear Side Sunshades, Power Folding Heated and Auto-Dimming Side View Mirrors | Front/Rear Parking Sensors
    MODS:
    Paddle Shift Retrofit | Brushed Aluminum Gauge Rings | Reverse Steptronic | Reverse Camera | Tint | MKIV DVD NAV | BavAudio Stage 1 & Ghost Sub | 4500K HID | Heated/Massaging Seats | Celis Tail Lights | Depot Clear Front and Side Turn Signals | GROM USB/BT/AUX | COB LED Angel Eyes | Butterfly Headrests | Custom M-Sport Multifunction Steering Wheel | Euro Side Mirrors | Refinished 18" M Parallel Wheels with Polished Lip | Michelin Pilot Sport AS | 3M Aluminum Vinyl Trim | Alcantara Headliner | Coded

Restomod Thread (Restore): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...stoMod-kind-of
    Restomod Thread (Mods): http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...Kind-of-PART-2

My Cars
    1998 E38 750iL
    SoCal here too lol.

My Cars
    1997 E38 750i Individual
    Don't bother with ANY aftermarket LED taillights for our cars if you live or drive your car in a rainy and damp climate. No matter what aftermarket brand (I haven't seen any good ones so far), the insulation between the open rear of the taillights to the actual physical car body is ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE! The problem isn't with the LEDs not working (they should), but in the left taillight housing is all the connections with the radio, CD Player, and the widescreen navigation. Any moisture in here from the outside weather will absolutely destroy and corrode those components with the aftermarket foam they call "insulation". I know it looks outdated, but talking from experience, OEM works best here! I had to replace all the electrical wiring and modules to get my widescreen navigation to turn on. For a year or so, I had nothing but a dark, blank screen. Take a look at the "seal" in the upper left hand of the attached picture.
    No disrespect but for me that doesn't make any sense, I have aftermarket LED taillights in my E38 already for 4 years and no sign of water leakage or any other problems. Mines do have to the full rubber seal around just like the original did. No moisture or any other problems and I do live in a country that has a lot of rain, widescreen, navigation, mp3 player, radio etc all working 100%
    So in my opinion upgrading to a more modern look can be done without any risk.
    Sorry I can't upload any pic, don't have the post count yet...

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverV12 View Post
    No disrespect but for me that doesn't make any sense, I have aftermarket LED taillights in my E38 already for 4 years and no sign of water leakage or any other problems. Mines do have to the full rubber seal around just like the original did. No moisture or any other problems and I do live in a country that has a lot of rain, widescreen, navigation, mp3 player, radio etc all working 100%
    So in my opinion upgrading to a more modern look can be done without any risk.
    Sorry I can't upload any pic, don't have the post count yet...

I agree, I mean if it is an issue I can always add a layer of dried RTV, my rear lights are intermittent and driving me crazy, I am spending an hr a month "fixing" them. I just want to upgrade and be done, I also park in a garage and rarely am caught uncovered.

Thanks for your experience
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)

My Cars
    1997 E38 750i Individual
    Quote Originally Posted by samsonevickis View Post
    I agree, I mean if it is an issue I can always add a layer of dried RTV, my rear lights are intermittent and driving me crazy, I am spending an hr a month "fixing" them. I just want to upgrade and be done, I also park in a garage and rarely am caught uncovered.

Thanks for your experience
    Ouch...I do feel your pain bro but to be honest I do have to pay credit to Ramacher.
    She spoke about this foam like seal in aftermarket taillights and in that aspect she was right, they are totally crap!
    Before I bought my proper LED taillights I had normal aftermarket taillights (red/clear) with this foam seal and they were no good at all, moisture came in and I mean even on a so called "dry" day.
    So yeah, upgrading to taillights with or without LED but with the proper rubber seal was a good decision. In my case LED running lights and LED brake lights, the result is awesome compared to OEM.
    What kind do you have?

My Cars
    1997 E38 750i Individual
    07.jpg05.jpg
    I'm sorry, I thought that i couldn't upload any pics but I can. This is what I have in mine.

My Cars
    01 330 CiC, 05 X3 3.0
    The only leaking problems I had were with the original lights with a leaky seal. I've changed to LEDs and no problems with leaking since.

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    I went with these

https://www.protuninglab.com/tl-e3895-lb-rd-cl.html

I like the fiber optic bar of red light, looks more like my newer BMWs.

But I simply couldn't wait around for those I posted earlier to come back in stock, my rear lights simply don't work, I have changed bulbs and all bulb holders, It sees rain, once a month..maybe, I have ZERO stuff in the rear to get damaged and only the amp is even possible to be damaged.

I will post up if the seals are crap, but if they work, then I will seal them better if I have any issues.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)
    '09 328i (Leased)
    '91 750iL (Parted)
    '00 Z3 2.5i (Sold)
    '86 944 NA AT (Sold)
    '84 633 CSi (Sold)
    '06 X3 3.0 (Sold)

My Cars
    2014 435iX
    I live in New Jersey where weather could be beautiful or horrendous depending on the day, and I've had a set of aftermarket tail lights in my car for a few years now and the seals are working just fine for me. My radio, nav, and CD player are all working perfectly. The only problem with the tail lights I've had is one of the small LED bulbs burnt out, and the connection with the wiring harness wasn't matching up but I fixed that by spreading the tip of the light's connectors for a better connection and now they work very well.

- - - Updated - - -

spyder-auto-car-lights-5000644-64_1000.jpg
    These are the tail lights.
    Last edited by TheArctic; 01-15-2020 at 11:37 PM.

My Cars
    Check the Signature
    Just to update, the ones I got had the foam type seal.

But I parked it outside in the rain for two days in a row, just to confirm NO water in the trunk.

Hopefully that stays true.
    Present:
    '96 750iL (Project)
    '95 C1500 350 V8
    '03 540i M Sport AT
    '22 GMC Sierra 1500 DD

Past:
    '93 325is (Parted)
    '95 840Ci (Sold)
    '86 735i (Parted)
    '02 Z3 3.0i (Sold)