Thread: Recently bought 96 540 needs maintenance an the right mechanic

My Cars
    E39 bmw

Recently bought 96 540 needs maintenance an the right mechanic

Ok so information i know. manufactured 10/96 1 owner95099 miles garage kept until recently (96079 miles after drive home)
    Spent it's life at BMW in California called BMW of enchitas, It's been in Texas about 3 years last inspected. At 95600 Carfax isn't specific about what was done, only says all maintenance performed.(I'll post if necessary).
    Everything looks clean on outside but I can hear you already "ppi" an fyi I did not get a inspection done.
    There are no codes on dash but I can not get my foxwell scanner to open the BMW part in the obd2 part it shows no codes stored in anything I can get to. Which brings up my first question what's with that ?

Symptoms
    Smoke from tailpipe (rich sweet weird burning oil smell) so obvious misfire?

Seems to stutter or have a hard time when trying to start haven't come to a conclusion wether it's an old battery with possibly the starter going out , or if it's trying to backfire.

For example: Today after getting home an intially starting again. Turning over it doesn't immediately start but as soon as it did I let go of key an the starter still had to turn a few times.
    It also revs itself when starting as well

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    As for the foxwell scanner problem it won't go past the reading vin screen

My Cars
    E39 bmw

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Judge all you want you know I saved something pretty

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Which obd plug are you using? The mid- to late-90s were a transition period from obd1 to obd2. Some cars have both the 20 pin round obd1 connector under the hood and the standard rectangular obd2 plug under the dash. Check under the hood near the firewall for a round 20 pin connector with a cover.

My Cars
    I'm pretty sure a '96 will have a round connector under the hood. The round connectors existed right up until around 2000 I think
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2001 e46 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I'm pretty sure a '96 will have a round connector under the hood. The round connectors existed right up until around 2000 I think
    Confirmed (my 2001/manufactured in 2000 E46 has one, although it's not necessary to use it for most DME related tasks).
    "If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters." Alan K. Simpson.
    5spd E46 "3XX": 328i engine, 330i Intake and exhaust, CAI, 323i diff.

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    I can see the OBD I, 20 pin port, in the video. It's next to your ABS pump near the passenger side firewall. It looks like the cap is on. I say this because the cap of the one you are not using must be on for the other to work. There are also fuses for them. I'm not familiar with the E39 fuses but you should have a legend that shows what each fuse is for somewhere. It's probably listed as 'Diagnostic port', or similar.

The smoke could be coming from a bad PCV. It's common on your engine. It can cause the car to smoke and run rough. Tim has good info on his site here:

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/E32/PCV/Index.htm

https://www.meeknet.co.uk/e31/BMW_M6...entilation.htm

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Thank you Marco ,breeze ,mayor an white I assumed that was the 20 pin port

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    You’re welcome. Make sure the cap it s on the 20 pin round connector when you’re not using the connector.

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    I took it to local recognized shop I'll report back with update before I shotgun any parts

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    I have a collection of new parts from planing to repair an some project down the road from 6cylinder e39 what is useable from the e39 such as water pump fan clutch

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    I notice the 540 is really bouncy compared to the msport.
    I have a the complete front suspension tire rods an all from a ecs tuning package, set of shock absorbers an struts from Bilstein but I was wondering if the msports suspension was usable, an if so is it even plausible to do, compared to using the Bilstein an H&R shocks?how much time an effort is that worth.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’m sure all of the msport parts are available but army what cost. I think the better route is H&R springs, Bilstein struts/shocks and original equipment (OE) suspension bits such as tie rods, roll bar links, etc. I recommend FCPEuro as unit has great prices and a lifetime warranty for everything it sells, including oil!

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    I have a complete front suspension set from ecs
    What I was really wondering is, what expensive parts are interchangeable
    For example : the starter for the 4.4 is still rough $500 for remanned , it would be much more effective if I could take it off the 3.0 msprt

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Update bump: opinions an advice is welcome here

The recognized mechanic was basically no help he said everything he looked at looked good but was stumped about the starting issue as well as the "thump" like noise when accelerating

I still haven't gotten a 20 pin connector but I also haven't gotten any error codes on the dash.

The thump when accelerating from low rpm still sounds more like a backfire from the drivers seat an is definitely directly behind me. but doesn't effect the engine in any way that i can tell ...I initially thought maybe something was sliding around where the spare is but searching today didn't find anything

Next issue : the car has a bad alignment issue as well as a shake in the steering wheel around 50.

I've read through enough of the forums to get that's it's one of 4 things lumpy tires , sticky calipers, warped rotors an probably some of the control arms .

So with that in mind, It's not even noticeable while on the brakes.
    It's definitely shaking the steering wheel not the floor or under me
    The tires that come with are 13 years old but have a very significant amount of tread only using until warm day an I can guarantee that the other e39 tires won't throw codes.

The starting issue stops after a few repeated starts after a short drive so is that significant enough to say it might be the alternator?

I could also use any info about what parts I can use from the 6cyl if like to wipe the slate clean an know what's been replaced a.sa.p
    Last edited by Jharbertbmw; 11-07-2019 at 03:28 PM.

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    L

- - - Updated - - -

While looking of oil change place today stopped them to get pic of this gross stuff

Appreciate your time an any help you can provide .
    Attached Images Attached Images

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    You're likely to get more help on some of the detailed questions in the E39 section. AFAIK, aftermarket suspension parts from a 6cyl E39 will fit a V8, but confirm that with the E39 people.

The thump might be the rear subframe; the previous generation subframe mounts, when worn, caused the subframe to hit the body during load transitions.

It's not your alternator, unless it's a weak battery not being charged by the alternator.

That looks like poor maintenance.

It's considered a 97 model year. Stupid system, I know, but September/YYYY and newer = YYYY+1, per the understood (and legal) convention in this country.

Sounds like it needs a full suspension rebuild, ideally with new subframe mounts as well. Brakes don't shake unless applied (unless the rotors are missing chunks, which is pretty unusual).

If the starter turns the engine over at a reasonable speed and every time, starting issues are not the starter's fault. These aren't known to go out; one in my previous 544iT (with an M62 engine like yours) is doing great at 290k. A slight bit of revving when first firing up is normal. A rapid clicking without the engine turning over is usually a weak battery, possibly but less likely a bad starter, or bad contacts. EDIT: your starter sounds fine. Check spark plugs, fuel pressure, and compression.
    Last edited by moroza; 11-08-2019 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    Find a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers at www.bimrs.org.

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Thank you moroza an Marco would you mind moving this last dozen messages into the e39 forums or should I just start new topic for matter at hand

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    ber
    My Cars
    E39 bmw
    I told ya so's in order , make me feel like a tard it's okay I told myself already .....towing 50miles to Accel motorwerks Monday

Be an hotness started shaking an I could hear the camshaft at low rpms
    Codes are as follows from unknown scanner at AutoZone
    Foxwell nt510 still won't work to read modules

P0340: camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction
    Definition :po340 indicates a fault in bank 1 (or single sensor) campshaft position sensor 'A' electrical circuit for apredetermined period of time.

P0170 :fuel trim bank 1
    No definition given
    Pull my heart strings/wallet before the shop does , how much is this gonna hurt?

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Cam sensor is easy. One bolt, one plug, both easy to get to. Fuel trim... not sure; could be O2 sensor, could be injectors, injector electrics, or even an intake leak. Have you had it smoke-tested?

My Cars
    E39 bmw
    Smoke test an more done @ autoscope plano thank u morozq