Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Throttle body spacer does they also fit (1996) 540i?

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Electronic throttle wasn't a thing for the 540i until MY00
    Hm... Its sketchy cuz the manual for throttlebody spacer says for electronic. But 50% of shop sites says
    "fits 1996-2003 bmw e39*" and other 50% says fits 1997-2003.

So basically every shop selling bs if the spacer only fits 00- ?

Tried watching OEM parts for my throttlebody but couldnt find any cross r7eference for it. Can anyone else?...

Waiting reply from Turner and Ecstuning on how their Bigbore throttlebody will fit my car. Ive changed to Dinan MAF and CAI now from afe atleast. But such a shame the spacer did not fit to orginal throttlehousing (3bolts) where as 97- 540 have 4 bolts like it usually is i imagine?
    Last edited by JimLev; 05-27-2020 at 01:42 PM. Reason: watch the language

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Hey Swede, How many times do people here in the US have to tell you, NO 1996 E39's came over here?
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Hey Swede, How many times do people here in the US have to tell you, NO 1996 E39's came over here?
    Are you retarded?..

He said electronic throttle came around -00 and partfitment says "1996-2003". Im just asking generally if anyone had a clue about it. Some guessing mixed with what they heard throughout the years since its such a old car and i havent been around the e39 era before. So haven't seen every forum that used to exist on the internet and read it all.

Take a beer and be happy that i posted some info that might help some other dude in the future, Swede or German or whatever country or region that person might be from. ~

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by Geextah View Post
    Are you retarded?..

He said electronic throttle came around -00 and partfitment says "1996-2003". Im just asking generally if anyone had a clue about it. Some guessing mixed with what they heard throughout the years since its such a old car and i havent been around the e39 era before. So haven't seen every forum that used to exist on the internet and read it all.

Take a beer and be happy that i posted some info that might help some other dude in the future, Swede or German or whatever country or region that person might be from. ~
    Psssst..... Hey retard, yeah you, he said? Who said? Someone said the electronic throttle didn't come in until '00, so whatever ding dong that comes in next dreaming of doing the same performance upgrade that you are dreaming about, isn't gonna find whatever answer you're looking for in this forum just like you won't. You should have a beer and be happy that I posted some info so that some other fool like you with a '96 could maybe go find that magic bullet that might make your car gain a few more horsepower from some other upgrade that does not exist.

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmrMeUpSnotty View Post
    Psssst..... Hey retard, yeah you, he said? Who said? Someone said the electronic throttle didn't come in until '00, so whatever ding dong that comes in next dreaming of doing the same performance upgrade that you are dreaming about, isn't gonna find whatever answer you're looking for in this forum just like you won't. You should have a beer and be happy that I posted some info so that some other fool like you with a '96 could maybe go find that magic bullet that might make your car gain a few more horsepower from some other upgrade that does not exist.
    Did you notice the forum state "1996-2003 (E39)" so why are you so annoyed. Do you also think dyno tests are wrong? Cause many have done dyno testing with the same thing that im asked for and saw noticable differences in many various numbers depending on testing condition and motors.

:-) But hey learning best from mistakes. Let everyone find out themselves dont have to post stupid unicorn stuff about it though

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Gentlemen, gentlemen.
    @OP
    enter you last 7 of the VIN into the ETK and look up your throttle body. See what else it was used on and order that way.
    Your car isn't some unicorn, it just wasn't offered here.
    Aren't there some vendors of this bogus stuff in Europe that would have appropriate application listings??

EDIT: Has anyone seen a BMW throttle body that mounts with three screws?? I never heard of such a thing.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-27-2020 at 06:22 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Maybe his only had three screws and the other one said I'm out of here!

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Dunno man haha... I am not a engine mechanic i just read reflect and spend money and the driver.

Like this
    https://prussianmotors.com/1994-1998...4-e38-e39-oem/

3 bolts* you see? And the spacer is normal rectangular 4-bolt. But do anyone of you know if this fits my mechanical throttle pre-98(eletric throttle) m62 housing.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...027177tms02kt/

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    You need to post a pic of what you have.
    3 bolts, really?

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Gentlemen, gentlemen.
    @OP
    enter you last 7 of the VIN into the ETK and look up your throttle body. See what else it was used on and order that way.
    Your car isn't some unicorn, it just wasn't offered here.
    Aren't there some vendors of this bogus stuff in Europe that would have appropriate application listings??

EDIT: Has anyone seen a BMW throttle body that mounts with three screws?? I never heard of such a thing.
    Thing is.. not many tuning vendors for this here as in the states. So all vendors are using standard parts without exceptions , but sport exhausts and air filters. Newer cars usually has good info but most parts to my older e39 540iA does not exist so buying mostly from USA to be sure.

Ive asked both Ecstuning now and Turnermotorsport and both with my VIN said it all would fit without issues. So heading back to Schmiedmann to find out why they thought it wouldnt fit. Cuz the Dinan manifold and CAI fitted perfectly and that cai is to be used with my throttlebody spacer partnumber it says.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Dunno man haha... I am not a engine mechanic i just read reflect and spend money and the driver.

Like this
    https://prussianmotors.com/1994-1998...4-e38-e39-oem/

3 bolts* you see? And the spacer is normal rectangular 4-bolt. But do anyone of you know if this fits my mechanical throttle pre-98(eletric throttle) m62 housing.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...027177tms02kt/
    Clearly. That is the inlet side with three screw holes. I believe an elbow to the DSC throttle attaches there. At least that is what I remember from my E34. Your TB mounts with 4 screws like all the others. The spacer mounts between the manifold and the TB, with 4 screws. Have you even lifted the hood of your car?
    Forsta?
    Last edited by ross1; 05-28-2020 at 08:09 PM.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    Maybe his car only has three screws as one was way too hard to attach. Who cares about vacuum leaks when you are searching for Horse Powa from a device that has proven to not perform to marketing hype. Once someone gets it into their head that XX is real and it can do XXX! All bets are off on convincing them that what they read is not true. This poor person is the same type who is too lazy or stupid to do any research on their own but runs to any FREE forum to see if you can help them find that elusive fountain of youth or that "special" part that will turn a 20+ year car into a modern super car with one tank full or bolt on part. Perfect Ponzie scheme victim in waiting....

Meanwhile, I am working on the device to turn my house into a perpetual energy production so I can sell kilowatts back to the grid. So far I have managed to spend 4x on crap to produce nothing. So I am now going back to "investing in old BMWs" that need love and affection as that is always a winner to bring you $4 to every $1 spent....Ha ha ha Where is that damn bottle.....?
    Current Garage Highlights
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver
    1998 528i KASCHMIRBEIGE METALLIC (301) (Goldie)

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1971 Dodge Dart Swinger "Lite Package"
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack Alpine White
    1970 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack GoManGo Green
    1969 Road Runner 383
    1968 Barracuda Formula S 340 Sea Foam Green

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Hm... Its sketchy cuz the manual for throttlebody spacer says for electronic. But 50% of shop sites says
    "fits 1996-2003 bmw e39*" and other 50% says fits 1997-2003.

So basically every shop selling bs if the spacer only fits 00- ?

Tried watching OEM parts for my throttlebody but couldnt find any cross r7eference for it. Can anyone else?...

Waiting reply from Turner and Ecstuning on how their Bigbore throttlebody will fit my car. Ive changed to Dinan MAF and CAI now from afe atleast. But such a shame the spacer did not fit to orginal throttlehousing (3bolts) where as 97- 540 have 4 bolts like it usually is i imagine?
    Might have been MY99 rather than MY00, but regardless, early 540s used a mechanical throttle, even in the US.

Pictures of the mechanical throttle body suggest it uses 6 screws, not 3.

DBW cars have an adapter that "converts" the mechanical mount to the electronic mount - 11617506742

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    Might have been MY99 rather than MY00, but regardless, early 540s used a mechanical throttle, even in the US.

Pictures of the mechanical throttle body suggest it uses 6 screws, not 3.

DBW cars have an adapter that "converts" the mechanical mount to the electronic mount - 11617506742

Thank you Terra. I would assume this is what i want. But sadly atleast ECS says * For vehicles with production date from 09/1998

Mine is pre-M62TU. Been trying to read alot about this subject of bigger throttlebody cause already got other "air" related upgrades on the car sush as CAI, bigger MAF and incoming longtube headers , eisenmann exhaust so want everything to match up airflow wise. And throttlebody isnt that much of an $$ compared so might aswell go all the way here imo.

Next would be performance cams i assume and an upgraded clutch. Expensive parts starts.

My Cars
    '02 540i-6, '97 540i-6
    Thank you Terra. I would assume this is what i want. But sadly atleast ECS says * For vehicles with production date from 09/1998

Mine is pre-M62TU. Been trying to read alot about this subject of bigger throttlebody cause already got other "air" related upgrades on the car sush as CAI, bigger MAF and incoming longtube headers , eisenmann exhaust so want everything to match up airflow wise. And throttlebody isnt that much of an $$ compared so might aswell go all the way here imo.

Next would be performance cams i assume and an upgraded clutch. Expensive parts starts.
    There's no point in trying to "read alot" if you're not going to pay attention to what you read, or to those who are trying to help here.

Your car has a mechanical throttle body. The larger throttle that ECS is selling is an electronic throttle. It won't work on your car, even if it fit.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffner View Post
    There's no point in trying to "read alot" if you're not going to pay attention to what you read, or to those who are trying to help here.

Your car has a mechanical throttle body. The larger throttle that ECS is selling is an electronic throttle. It won't work on your car, even if it fit.
    Some are simply ineducable.
    The issue is that the OP is seemingly incapable of understanding how this POS attaches. I doubt he has bothered to even look at where it goes.
    Last edited by ross1; 05-31-2020 at 11:06 AM.

JimLev is offline Artifically Aspirated Moderator
    My Cars
    00 540/6, '16 Highlander
    ^-this.
    I have a friend (must have a PhD?) that spend days looking, reading, emailing about his car problem.
    After a week I told him to bring it over. 2 minutes later it was fixed.

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    He is your friend too?!!!
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
    ^-this.
    I have a friend (must have a PhD?) that spend days looking, reading, emailing about his car problem.
    After a week I told him to bring it over. 2 minutes later it was fixed.
    Yepyep! I pretty much had a buddy that did the same thing, the messed up part was, I knew exactly what was wrong but kept my mouth shut because he was one of them..... did all kinds of research, head scratching, more research, still didn't get it, he kept bugging me to come over and help him out, I told him to stop all that nonsense, quit his bitching, feed himself and pop the hood open, look at it and figure it out. Still didn't do anything but argue with me on the phone, and the guys on the forums. After about a week, I come over, popped the hood up and fixed it in 5 mins, slammed the hood shut and drove back home, never told him what I did, he called me a few times, I never answered the phone, last thing I ever did for his stupid a$$.

My Cars
    BMW 540i -96/6
    Good thoughts , quality stuff right there. Instead of joking about friends maybe tell them what they can do or where they can search up good info.

Motor engines across USA/europe with several models/year of date with almost same motor can be a huge pain in the ass to figure out by reading on forums aswell cuz every thread has a littlebit different model or subject....

Also i gave the workshops my VIN and part numbers and most of em said it should work. But then it dont.

For picking up relevant stuff again. Is there any mechanical throttlebody upgrade for my car model then? Or is it possible to take it off and lathe it to bigger channels/hole.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Good thoughts , quality stuff right there. Instead of joking about friends maybe tell them what they can do or where they can search up good info.

Motor engines across USA/europe with several models/year of date with almost same motor can be a huge pain in the ass to figure out by reading on forums aswell cuz every thread has a littlebit different model or subject....

Also i gave the workshops my VIN and part numbers and most of em said it should work. But then it dont.

For picking up relevant stuff again. Is there any mechanical throttlebody upgrade for my car model then? Or is it possible to take it off and lathe it to bigger channels/hole.
    This seems to be the crux of the matter. Had you bothered to actually look at the parts involved rather than tap away at a keyboard for answers you would have noticed(unless you are as Snotty says, a moron)that worthless part will indeed fit your car provided you attach it to the correct side of the throttle body.
    Want you car to have more power without spending much or getting dirty? Buy a reputable performance chip for the DME.
    I'm done here.

My Cars
    ‘01 540’00 528T’03 525T
    Ahhhh, Jeezuz..... At what point do we finally get to hammer into your head, WE NEVER GOT 1996 E39's on our shores??? Nobody here has one, got to play with one, or will probably ever find one. You're being like the friend we were talking about that seemed to want an answer that he wanted to hear, argued, wouldn't listen, and yet, not once did he even pop open the hood to look at the engine and figure it out for himself. You ask what kind of friend does that , what we did, just standing by? Well you see, when an idiot does that all the time, like he did, always expecting others to take care of it for himself, those others, like me for example, just eventually decided that he wasn't really a friend, when the only times I would hear from him was when he needed a hand, a special tool, and then try to borrow that special tool not 6 months later, and then again 4 months down the road. Me? If I ever have to borrow a tool a second time? I'm buying one for myself. He was always expecting hand outs, that was no friend. I've helped a lot of people on here, and out here, but I draw the line when I realize that a friend is not really a friend, always expecting others to do all the work for him. I despise people who abuse friendship. I hate people who use their friends.

So here you are, arguing with a bunch of strangers about a car that never came over here. You have not paid any attention to what everyone has said to you. You even had an attitude with others, including me. After all that, the last part of you last post, you revert back to basically the same question that started this whole circus act, asking about any mods you can do to that throttle body. Is it possible to remove it and machine the bore? Lol, WE DON'T KNOW. WE NEVER GOT TO PLAY WITH A 1996 E39 HERE IN AMERICA. CAN IT BE MACHINED LARGER? WE DON'T KNOW, WE NEVER GOT 1996 E39's HERE IN AMERICA. Have you even taken it off? Have you even looked at it? I doubt it. You have not even taken any pictures of what yours looks like, we don't know. Maybe if we saw a picture of it, then maybe it might give us a clue, but no, you just want an answer that you want to hear. Hell, you have not even answered why your throttle body is missing a bolt, and is still missing a bolt, tells us everything we need to know about you, really.....

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Somebody please throw Snotty a piece of meat.

My Cars
    00 540_6
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Somebody please throw Snotty a piece of meat.
    He needs a snickers bar......
    Current:
    2000 540I6 DD
    2001 F250 4X4 tow beast
    2016 RRS 3.0 supercharged (wifes DD)
    1999 Miata (go kart for the street)
    1970 Mustang (in flux, 393 build in progress)

Past
    1957 bel air 1965 Mustang (first car) 1965 SS impala
    1966 496 malibu 1969 Camaro 1970 Nova
    1997 528IA 1997 540I6 2000 528IA 2001 525IA

My Cars
    528i, 525iT, M5
    2003 525iT TiSilver
    2002 M5 TiSilver

Former Garage Highlights
    2005 X5 4.8is
    2004 325iTs (2x)
    1973 Pantera L
    1969 Road Runner 383

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast