Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting the stock hand brake so it'll lock

My Cars
    turbo e36
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I have a proportioning valve on mine. I don't have it set up totally front biased, but on E46s the proportioning valve is in the ABS so when you remove it all you have to add one. My handle moves some when I press the brake, but it won't rip it out of my hand. I've hit the brakes many times while pulling it and I just get a rock hard brake pedal. Maybe I've just learned to drive around it because there's only been 2-3 times I wanted to use both simultaneously and it's usually when screwing up so bad I'm flying off the track. I mean Chelsea and Vaughn went back to inlines in Pro this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Ok, so this makes perfect sense to me. When the hydro piston is engaged (handle pulled), it should shut off the potential for additional pressure to be added to the rear brakes from the main brake master cylinder..

I have my brakes setup manual with the Chasebays kit, so I'm guessing I wouldn't notice a lot of difference in operation with my proportioning valve set to minimum rear brakes. I assume that setting still allows some pressure to the rears, but I haven't checked.

Maybe its because I have my inline plumb'ed thru the stock abs box, but have disabled abs. On my setup, the foot brake and the hydro are basically opposites of each other. When you pull the hydro, then press brake, it forces the hydro back down.

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by Novablue454 View Post
    I mean Chelsea and Vaughn went back to inlines in Pro this year.
    I've seen this with some comp drivers as a way to low pressure brake and slow the car down (without locking wheels), without brake lights lighting up. A "cheat" if you will.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by Press22 View Post
    I've seen this with some comp drivers as a way to low pressure brake and slow the car down (without locking wheels), without brake lights lighting up. A "cheat" if you will.
    Maybe it's more of my lack of understanding of how inline hydros work, but this is another idea that doesn't make any logical sense to me. Seems to me that an inline hydro would have no inherent benefits of the type you're describing here, over a standalone set of calipers...

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Inlines are nice because you don't have the added weight of a second set of calipers. The main issue of an inline is if you brake and use the hydro at the same time. Which I do a lot. Maybe pros don't.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    99 328i, a few more
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Inlines are nice because you don't have the added weight of a second set of calipers. The main issue of an inline is if you brake and use the hydro at the same time. Which I do a lot. Maybe pros don't.
    Yeah, from what I understood it was a weight thing, 10-15lbs of unsprung weight.

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i
    So I guess they feel that the benefits of reduced unsprung weight are more beneficial than the feel issues are detrimental.. I think one of those guys runs with manual brakes, but the other likes power brakes IIRC, so I guess that isn't much of a factor?

My Cars
    E36 M3, jzxE28
    Quote Originally Posted by tptrsn View Post
    Maybe it's more of my lack of understanding of how inline hydros work, but this is another idea that doesn't make any logical sense to me. Seems to me that an inline hydro would have no inherent benefits of the type you're describing here, over a standalone set of calipers...
    well one example I know of they use a inline, with the weak and small stock calipers and not crazy pads. they pull the inlines (which in my experience have less force than standalone) to slow the wheel speed when following in tandem. so surge forward into their door and lightly handbrake back without locking the rear wheels. I'm no scientist as to why it works well but the few guys I know that do this can chase real close, at least for proam-pro2 level.
    instagram @andyitslit

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    '07 335I 6MT, '01 330i
    I'm really confused on why you guys with dual caliper kits had to remove your stock handbrake- mine still exists, I just had to cut the cables when pulling my subframe out because they were very seized in there.

I'm running dual caliper, with little weld on ears, right over the wheel speed sensor holes. Unfortunately I lost my speedo, but it was the only place I could see being able to put the mounts.
    Keep it simple: half gutted '01 330i, welded diff, BC coils, SLR Super kit

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Most non weld on kits use the bolting area from the hand brake system. Cant have 2 things bolted to the same spot.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12