Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headers for 1999 z3 coupe 2.8 m52tu engine

My Cars
    z3
    There are dynos available online in many places. E46fanatics would likely be a good source

M52TU/M54 have the cats in the headers. Its a design optimized to get the cats up to operating temp as fast as possible for emissions, it is not conducive to exhaust flow and thus hurts power. Just look at a set of stock M52TU headers and look how quickly the 3 exhaust collectors merge into the cat.

The M52TU/M54 intakes are pretty well optimized. So there isnt much to be gained there. The headers are the biggest restriction - open the headers up and the engines make a decent chunk more power.

How much is gained and where its gained on the powerband will largely be determined by the specific style of header installed (short tube vs long tube, equal length or non equal, where the merge is, etc) but any aftemarket header are a decent upgrade. Even stock non-TU M52 headers would be an upgrade over the stock TU ones.

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

big thnx!....I never looked for more power in the car...always looking in the track car tho......

the z to me was just a life long GT cruiser ... with some simple mods over time...suspension.......ssk....et etc

but now u r making me double take my thoughts,,,,,.......still, headers and mods to make them work is sooo very costly if u do not do it yourself...

btw, those oe headers look awful.....yikes
    Last edited by jrkoupe; 04-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    The manifolds have a thermo insulator. Double wall, maybe triple in that area. The inside is much better than the tin outer shell.

I just went digging for a straight up stock -> headers (only) dyno graph. Not headers and tune and pulleys and nitro, just headers only.The only one I could find was by a vendor of such headers and was obviously a hand drawn fake. The lack of search results leads me to believe that no one got dyno graph improvements worth bragging about.

/.randy

Quote Originally Posted by rf900rkw View Post
    The manifolds have a thermo insulator. Double wall, maybe triple in that area. The inside is much better than the tin outer shell.

I just went digging for a straight up stock -> headers (only) dyno graph. Not headers and tune and pulleys and nitro, just headers only.The only one I could find was by a vendor of such headers and was obviously a hand drawn fake. The lack of search results leads me to believe that no one got dyno graph improvements worth bragging about.
    Im gonna think u r correct.......

I searched about 20 mins for m52tu graphs......I see nice gains but that included tunes, some had modded intakes or intake swaps.....full exhaust etc etc...

I just cant see a bolt on header , and nothing more, doing much.........

My Cars
    z3 02' 3.0i coupe, 99M3
    I had the ebay headers on my 02' Z3 M54 for years and a down line installed CAT's since I need to pass emissions
    Never dyno'd it
    Install wise and removal much nicer (they are back off now and back stock PITA)
    best bang for the buck on the M54 - FI

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by jrkoupe View Post
    long time 2.8 coupe owner here...

I have ebay headers..( raceland, ........on my 90 e30 s50 track toy)

Im just wondering, and not trying to be a downer, but y headers?.......sure they are super sexy but I think for the tme and effort and cash it seems a bit of a waste?...........of time and money. Im confident that without a custom exhaust set up and a tune and maybe some head work , your gains would be so very minimal? I guess the character of the car could change..it could rev a bit quicker/easier?......and sound a bit more racy?
    jrkoupe, totally understand where you're coming from. for me, with this car, it is about the character. I'm fine if I don't get much in the way of extra hp. I have a failed post cat O2 sensor...so I thought rather than replace O2 sensor this would be a good time to get ride of them (along with the 20 year old cats)...

these headers are pretty cheap.

I do plan on the m54 manifold, and SS exhaust with these headers. Also a tune once the physical work is done. + lighter flywheel...thats where this is going...

Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    jrkoupe, totally understand where you're coming from. for me, with this car, it is about the character. I'm fine if I don't get much in the way of extra hp. I have a failed post cat O2 sensor...so I thought rather than replace O2 sensor this would be a good time to get ride of them (along with the 20 year old cats)...

these headers are pretty cheap.

I do plan on the m54 manifold, and SS exhaust with these headers. Also a tune once the physical work is done. + lighter flywheel...thats where this is going...

ok...I get it

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    Yes im going to headers n leaving all sections stock. I rather not mess swapping manifolds. Tuning i believe you can on do litle w/o ditching oems (headers) and i header orm headers r just heavy unnecessary weight.

Quote Originally Posted by m3toz3 View Post
    Yes im going to headers n leaving all sections stock. I rather not mess swapping manifolds. Tuning i believe you can on do litle w/o ditching oems (headers) and i header orm headers r just heavy unnecessary weight.
    english?

pleeeease

My Cars
    '85 535i, '99 Z3 Coupe
    Hello Everyone,

Great to see this thread. I own a M52tub28 Z3 coupe as well. Just finished upgrading to the M54b30 intake manifold - a slight improvement in the top end. Now research has led me to consider replacing the stifled factory headers to maximize the impact of that job.

I realize that with the integrated cat-in-header design, our exhaust systems are a bit different to modify than earlier M52 Z3s and E36s. I'm not in a state that requires emissions testing (Michigan) but I'd prefer not to run the exhaust without a catalyst in the chance I move somewhere that does.

I had a thought to use a set of Raceland or some other generic M5x SS long tube headers and then switch out my factory mid-pipe for the catted M52 mid pipe from the '97-'98 Z3 2.8 roadster. The goal here would be to swap out my limiting headers to improve flow while retaining a semblance of OE fit and function, avoiding lots of cuts and weld that could make routine maintenance a headache down the line.

Any ideas if this would fit as intended? If I did cut and transfer flanges to retain my original midpipe (2 to 1 muffler, no cat), where would the best place to add a cat be?

Probably overthinking this but was just curious if anyone has used or found a header setup for the M52tu coupes that retains a catalyst somewhere in the system?
    '85 535i Arktisblau Metallic 5MT
    '99 Z3 Coupe Cosmosschwarz Metallic 5MT

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by lattmandry View Post
    Hello Everyone,

Great to see this thread. I own a M52tub28 Z3 coupe as well. Just finished upgrading to the M54b30 intake manifold - a slight improvement in the top end. Now research has led me to consider replacing the stifled factory headers to maximize the impact of that job.

I realize that with the integrated cat-in-header design, our exhaust systems are a bit different to modify than earlier M52 Z3s and E36s. I'm not in a state that requires emissions testing (Michigan) but I'd prefer not to run the exhaust without a catalyst in the chance I move somewhere that does.

I had a thought to use a set of Raceland or some other generic M5x SS long tube headers and then switch out my factory mid-pipe for the catted M52 mid pipe from the '97-'98 Z3 2.8 roadster. The goal here would be to swap out my limiting headers to improve flow while retaining a semblance of OE fit and function, avoiding lots of cuts and weld that could make routine maintenance a headache down the line.

Any ideas if this would fit as intended? If I did cut and transfer flanges to retain my original midpipe (2 to 1 muffler, no cat), where would the best place to add a cat be?

Probably overthinking this but was just curious if anyone has used or found a header setup for the M52tu coupes that retains a catalyst somewhere in the system?
    Hi sir, check out super sprint. I think they have headers with cats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '85 535i, '99 Z3 Coupe
    Thanks for the input. I'm not seeing that as an option on their website. Quite possible I'm not looking in the right place.
    https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/su...upe-28i-1.aspx

Supersprint no doubt makes quality gear, but a high price as well and a seemingly long lead time coming from Europe. Two things I'd like to diminish if possible.

I know, I know - Fast, Easy, Cheap - but I can only pick two...

Cheers
    '85 535i Arktisblau Metallic 5MT
    '99 Z3 Coupe Cosmosschwarz Metallic 5MT

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by lattmandry View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm not seeing that as an option on their website. Quite possible I'm not looking in the right place.
    https://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/su...upe-28i-1.aspx

Supersprint no doubt makes quality gear, but a high price as well and a seemingly long lead time coming from Europe. Two things I'd like to diminish if possible.

I know, I know - Fast, Easy, Cheap - but I can only pick two...

Cheers
    You're so right. I thought I remembered seeing some headers with cats...but can't remember now.

Wait, looks like magnaflow has some

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I bought the cheap ($85 delivered) eBay long tube headers for my 2.8tu a couple years ago. I had to chop and twist the lower flanges to fit the S52 mid-pipe I'm using, but that was like 1/2 hour. Even the upper O2 sensors were fine, just had to extend the wires.
    Never installed the M54B30 intake yet, and never been near a dyno. For the money, I very satisfied, and they fit with minimal issues.
    -Donny
    Last edited by KeysCoupe; 05-31-2020 at 01:34 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Bmw z3 coupe 2.8
    Hey, following! I am planning on buying the schmiedmann 328ci headers, and 2x 200cell cats. Then weld all this together.

Quote Originally Posted by KeysCoupe View Post
    I bought the cheap ($85 delivered) eBay long tube headers for my 2.8tu a couple years ago. I had to chop and twist the lower flanges to fit the S52 mid-pipe I'm using, but that was like 1/2 hour. Even the upper O2 sensors were fine, just had to extend the wires.
    Never installed the M54B30 intake yet, and never been near a dyno. For the money, I very satisfied, and they fit with minimal issues.
    -Donny
    How does this system sound, any clips??

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12