Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headers for 1999 z3 coupe 2.8 m52tu engine

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8

Headers for 1999 z3 coupe 2.8 m52tu engine

Gents, trying to get my exhaust system sorted. I found 3 headers that seem like they’d fit. Primarily concerned with fit (I can’t weld) and quality (would like them to last).

Option 1 (blackhorse): https://www.blackhorse-racing.com/pr...nifold-headers

Option 2 (raceland): https://raceland.com/bmw-coilovers/z...st-header.html

Option 3 (turner shorty): https://www.ecstuning.com/b-turner-m...ms.beh601~akt/

The Turner headers are quite a bit more $$$. Worth it?

Any feedback is welcomed. I did do some searching on this topics. Many good threads...but the market changes so looking for possible new info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Having tried shorty style headers on my own 2000 M52TU, I would suggest trying the long tube headers.

I don't have experience with the Turner headers, but if they're anything like the Schmiedmann shorty headers, they would need an extra O2 bung welded in due to clearance issues.

I'd test fit as soon as it comes in to make sure there's no problem with fitment, in case you need it sent back.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    Having tried shorty style headers on my own 2000 M52TU, I would suggest trying the long tube headers.

I don't have experience with the Turner headers, but if they're anything like the Schmiedmann shorty headers, they would need an extra O2 bung welded in due to clearance issues.

I'd test fit as soon as it comes in to make sure there's no problem with fitment, in case you need it sent back.
    Thank you for the feedback schreier. That’s the kind of feedback I’m looking for.

My understanding with the long tube headers is that they do require modifications.

Hoping someone can confirm fit on one of these, or even a separate product. Looking for something “bolt on” with a stock exhaust.

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Looking closer at the Turner shorty headers you posted, it looks like they don't actually have any O2 bungs at all -- so probably the bung placement would not even be an issue. However, I wouldn't expect those to simply bolt up to the rest of your exhaust system. Even though it says "directly to the stock BMW catalytic converter", that 3-bolt flange pattern doesn't match the 2-bolt flange pattern on the stock system. You would probably have to find a muffler shop willing to fabricate some solution to connect that to the rest of your exhaust system. So that's more money to account for in the budget.

I think the need for fabrication would be less and/or easier with the long-tube headers you posted. I can't say for sure if they will clear the x-brace used in the Z3 (which is the same brace as in the E36 convertible), so that's why I say prepare to remove your stock system and test-fit whatever you end up purchasing when it comes in the mail.

Any competent muffler shop should be able to make the modifications within reason, such as adding O2 sensor bungs or welding up a solution to mate with the factory system.

One more thing to consider -- part of the reason those turner headers are so pricey is that they are already ceramic-coated for you. However, you can have your headers sent off to a coating service for much less than what they're offering for the convenience. There's a few things I wish I had done differently with my own system, but ceramic coating isn't one of them. One of those few upgrades you can immediately observe is useful, even without measuring underhood temps with a thermometer.

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    I bought a set of long-tube headers off of eBay for an E46 knowing that modification would be necessary. The exhaust flanges at the lower connection for the E46/E39 are reversed from the Z3. So I just chopped off the flanges from my midpipe and welded it back together. Nothing too hard. Also had to put a dent in one of the headers for clearance on an oxygen sensor. All in all, I'd say I got what I pad for, considering they were less than $150.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Schreier View Post
    Looking closer at the Turner shorty headers you posted, it looks like they don't actually have any O2 bungs at all -- so probably the bung placement would not even be an issue. However, I wouldn't expect those to simply bolt up to the rest of your exhaust system. Even though it says "directly to the stock BMW catalytic converter", that 3-bolt flange pattern doesn't match the 2-bolt flange pattern on the stock system. You would probably have to find a muffler shop willing to fabricate some solution to connect that to the rest of your exhaust system. So that's more money to account for in the budget.

I think the need for fabrication would be less and/or easier with the long-tube headers you posted. I can't say for sure if they will clear the x-brace used in the Z3 (which is the same brace as in the E36 convertible), so that's why I say prepare to remove your stock system and test-fit whatever you end up purchasing when it comes in the mail.

Any competent muffler shop should be able to make the modifications within reason, such as adding O2 sensor bungs or welding up a solution to mate with the factory system.

One more thing to consider -- part of the reason those turner headers are so pricey is that they are already ceramic-coated for you. However, you can have your headers sent off to a coating service for much less than what they're offering for the convenience. There's a few things I wish I had done differently with my own system, but ceramic coating isn't one of them. One of those few upgrades you can immediately observe is useful, even without measuring underhood temps with a thermometer.

I did notice that, but I want to say i've seen pictures of the turner headers elsewhere with bungs (one per). Not sure on that now.

Do see what your saying regarding the long-tube headers. Agree those seem closer to the stock layout looking at it a second time. Ceramic coating would be nice. Might search for some options.

I did notice that the Raceland product has little brackets across the top of the primaries. For the heat shield install maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tim95M3 View Post
    I bought a set of long-tube headers off of eBay for an E46 knowing that modification would be necessary. The exhaust flanges at the lower connection for the E46/E39 are reversed from the Z3. So I just chopped off the flanges from my midpipe and welded it back together. Nothing too hard. Also had to put a dent in one of the headers for clearance on an oxygen sensor. All in all, I'd say I got what I pad for, considering they were less than $150.
    No header installs on the coupe?

- - - Updated - - -

Has no one installed either of these (Raceland or blackhorse) headers on a 2.8?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Anyone on a set of headers that work with 2.8?

My Cars
    99 Coupe Hell Yeah Red
    I have set of the Raceland headers, uninstalled. I did match them up to the cat back system on my m52tu 2.8 while I had the system off and it seemed that they fit well without O2 sensor interference. My kit only has one set of O2 bungs. I don't see the point with pre and post without the cat. The O2 sensors will likely need to be coded out to avoid a CEL.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoupe6 View Post
    I have set of the Raceland headers, uninstalled. I did match them up to the cat back system on my m52tu 2.8 while I had the system off and it seemed that they fit well without O2 sensor interference. My kit only has one set of O2 bungs. I don't see the point with pre and post without the cat. The O2 sensors will likely need to be coded out to avoid a CEL.
    Brilliant! Thank you sir. Think I will go with the raceland. I’ll report back.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Purchased the raceland headers.

They have holes (threaded bores) along the top just after the primaries. Pics attached.

Anyone know what they might be for or how I might plug them up properly?

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    I think those are O2 sensor bungs, so that you could measure the fuel mixture of each cylinder.

Go ahead and measure them. They're probably M18x1.5, and if so, there are O2 sensor plugs you could use to plug them.
    Last edited by Schreier; 12-17-2019 at 09:12 AM.

My Cars
    z3
    Just weld em shut. The M52TU doesnt need those
    Attached Images Attached Images

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Yep, that makes sense. Thanks gents. They are smaller in diameter than the stock O2 ports.

Planning to install two post cat O2 sensors so the wire will reach downstream.

Does taking the “precat” O2 reading that far downstream cause issues?

The sensor seems intentionally placed right near the engine on the stock headers

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by solimans View Post
    Yep, that makes sense. Thanks gents. They are smaller in diameter than the stock O2 ports.

Planning to install two post cat O2 sensors so the wire will reach downstream.

Does taking the “precat” O2 reading that far downstream cause issues?

The sensor seems intentionally placed right near the engine on the stock headers

The sensor is that close to the engine with stock headers because the headers are that close to the engine. Its fine for the readings to be farther downstream

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    The sensor is that close to the engine with stock headers because the headers are that close to the engine. Its fine for the readings to be farther downstream
    Figured I was over thinking it. Thank you B.B.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Hitting more stops on this :/

Looks like the exhaust gaskets that I bought (parts# 18301440183, https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_0510) is a bit small.

The headers measure about 2 1/4 inch in diameter at the flange. I'm thinking that if the gasket is smaller the stock down pipe will also be too small to mate with these headers.

What'd I miss?

1999 z3 coupe, m52tu 2.8

IMG_0727.jpg

My Cars
    2000 BMW Z3 2.3
    Ah, the joys of aftermarket performance parts!

Looks like the ID is larger than stock. You'll need a new gasket to fit that. And also complementary flanges and reducer couplers, and potentially a flexible bellows, welded in to match it up to the rest of the stock system.

I've used Vibrant Performance gaskets and flanges for my own stuff, they're very good quality: https://vibrantperformance.com/catal...1532_1068_1126

My Cars
    z3
    I had a similar issue and ended up cutting the stock flanges off to weld onto the aftermarket headers

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Yes sirs. Thank you. That confirms what I’m thinking.

Did some searching on this. The header flanges seem to be an odd size. The tubing diameter is just over 2.25 inch (pics attached).

Might need to have them custom made...

Found some gaskets that might fit on eBay. Need to confirm with the seller. They are custom made from copper. Apparently they also work with SS headers. Which makes me think SS might have the flanges?

My current plan is to find or make matching flanges (to the ones on the headers) and have them welded on to the stock flanges on the down pipe side. Maybe cut off the current flanges on the down pipe side first.

I have an email out to raceland as well.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    Hi just. Im following this post and it stop.
    I also have a 2000 z3 coupe 2.8 m52tu that im plannin to have a sftermarket headers.
    Any new update or new headers on market that fits w less kodifications?

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Quote Originally Posted by m3toz3 View Post
    Hi just. Im following this post and it stop.
    I also have a 2000 z3 coupe 2.8 m52tu that im plannin to have a sftermarket headers.
    Any new update or new headers on market that fits w less kodifications?
    Hi m3toz3, I’ve not installed this yet. You can be sure I will update once it’s complete.

I have some front end and suspension refresh work to do, including tckline in the box...

Then I was going to do a cooling system refresh...

Will update.

I did find the flanges here:

https://everyexhaustpart.com/cart/

Also have SS axle back planning to install. Still need to figure out the details there. Think I will keep the middle section on the stock exhaust.

My Cars
    2002 M3 Manual
    Thank you ! I think i will also go ahead and get raceland headers. Atleast i wont be surprise when the fitting fails and have.got ideas what to do.
    That is also my plan as im planning to keep sec 2 n 3 stock and just the headers. I like the quite laid back sound. It is only 2.8 anyway.
    Please give us update or I will whoever does it first
    Cheers!

long time 2.8 coupe owner here...

I have ebay headers..( raceland, ........on my 90 e30 s50 track toy)

Im just wondering, and not trying to be a downer, but y headers?.......sure they are super sexy but I think for the tme and effort and cash it seems a bit of a waste?...........of time and money. Im confident that without a custom exhaust set up and a tune and maybe some head work , your gains would be so very minimal? I guess the character of the car could change..it could rev a bit quicker/easier?......and sound a bit more racy?

My Cars
    z3
    Headers are the single biggest power adder on M52TU and M54 short of F/I

FWIW I installed M52 headers on my M54... No problems

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    Headers are the single biggest power adder on M52TU and M54 short of F/I

FWIW I installed M52 headers on my M54... No problems

Ive always trusted what youve said.......and I DID NOT know this?!!!..... but do we have like actual proof in dyno numbers?...or is this an urban myth?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast