Thread: Cobbled together DIY rocker arm Q?

My Cars
    Too Many

Cobbled together DIY rocker arm Q?

Hi, new here. Usually play with VW and Audi, but these goofy little cars are sucking me in =)

Typically work with the mentality that if I cant make it better, or completely fk it up while trying to make it better, then I didnt try hard enough =).

The feeble rockers on these motors look like they would be a pretty simple thing to make better, or completely fk up (basically what I am really good at lol)
    Have a 3d printer for mock up stuff, and working on an MPCNC (or something similar) that will do light milling.

Trying to do something similar to this https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...et-Rocker-arms

I have the geometry taken care of (pad runs nicely on the cam and adjuster swings well on the valve stem), but curious if any of you guys know where to get the cam pad gizmo?
    I ripped one out of some rando rocker just for fun and mock up stuff. Was fkn scary how easily that arm exploded! I think I had Matchbox cars back in the day that put up more of a fight lol.

The part I am struggling with now is the pad I pulled out has a rough square cast/forged? post sticking off the back of it, but dudes pics in the link above show a round hole.
    I could just ram it in there and hope for the best, I mean it aint going nowhere, but do any of you guys know of somebody that sells the pads separately, or a mfg that does them with the round post that I can rip out and will press in easier?

Eta Here is a pic of one at some point. Its still rough and just a mock up while looking at the geometry, will pretty it up after the proper adjusters get here an I am happy with how it works.

Last edited by zillarob; 10-24-2019 at 01:31 AM.

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    Old Buicks from the early '60s-up have alloy rockers with pressed-in hardened pads that ride on the valve stem.
    If your going to all the trouble, why not look into a roller setup?
    Good luck -Donny

My Cars
    Too Many
    The bolt is just there for mock up, they are set up for the porsche style adjusters.

I considered a roller, but would need a roller specific cam. Too rich for my blood =)