Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice on used car just purchased

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    I work at a dealer, we change a few badges per year here at one dealer. I'd hardly classify it as any sort of general deceitfulness amongst BMW owners, though.
    "a few badges per year" out of how many cars sold per year? 1%, 2%? Hardly what you call "not uncommon" which means "common".

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
    "a few badges per year" out of how many cars sold per year? 1%, 2%? Hardly what you call "not uncommon" which means "common".

We sell about 1500 new cars per year. Maybe twice as many used.

We aren't changing them on the cars when we sell them. The ones that we would change are just customers coming in off the street.

But there are 5 BMW dealers in the vicinity and tens of thousands of BMWs. The number of cars one dealer sells each year isn't really relevant to the discussion.

Also, In standard usage, the phrase "not uncommon" typically means something to the effect of "more frequent than uncommon". That is, it occurs too frequently to be considered "uncommon",but not necessarily so frequently as to be labeled "common". So, something that is "not uncommon", is generally not something that is "common".
    Last edited by Critter7r; 11-01-2019 at 09:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Also, In standard usage, the phrase "not uncommon" typically means something to the effect of "more frequent than uncommon". That is, it occurs too frequently to be considered "uncommon",but not necessarily so frequently as to be labeled "common". So, something that is "not uncommon", is generally not something that is "common".
    Gibberish.

If your dealership sells 4500 cars a year and you change "a few" badges, which in normal parlance means 3, that is less than one tenth of one percent. That is uncommon by any standard. If you add to that all of the cars that pass through the dealership and service center, it is so uncommon to be miniscule.
    I rest my case.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    At the beginning of this thread, the self proclaimed master opined, "It's possible there was rear end damage and the trunk lid has been painted." Then later:

Quote Originally Posted by White94RX View Post
    I've even seen it plenty of times when a body shop repairs or replaces the trunk lid and puts the wrong one on.
    What?!? He's seen plenty of times that the repair shop can't figure out the correct model of car they are working on, so they install the wrong emblem? I would not want to go to that shop!!! LOL
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-02-2019 at 09:19 AM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Gibberish.

If your dealership sells 4500 cars a year and you change "a few" badges, which in normal parlance means 3, that is less than one tenth of one percent. That is uncommon by any standard. If you add to that all of the cars that pass through the dealership and service center, it is so uncommon to be miniscule.
    I rest my case.

Yet we are having a national conversation about banning a particular type of firearm based on the fact that particularly uncommon occurrence happens where a few dozen people (one millionth of a percent) annually are killed purposely by someone using one, and we call it "rampant".

I re-open your case.
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Yet we are having a national conversation about banning a particular type of firearm based on the fact that particularly uncommon occurrence happens where a few dozen people (one millionth of a percent) annually are killed purposely by someone using one, and we call it "rampant".

I re-open your case.
    More Gibberish.

There is no "national conversation" regarding your premise. Just because a few high profile idiots are screaming nonsense doesn't make it a "national conversation".
    Nice try, but a ridiculous premise and a non sequitur argument.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    More Gibberish.

There is no "national conversation" regarding your premise. Just because a few high profile idiots are screaming nonsense doesn't make it a "national conversation".
    Nice try, but a ridiculous premise and a non sequitur argument.

Citing an example of an alternate use of the word "uncommon" in a discussion about the definition of "uncommon" doesn't seem particularly non-sequitur-y.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Citing an example of an alternate use of the word "uncommon" in a discussion about the definition of "uncommon" doesn't seem particularly non-sequitur-y.
    The "example" you cite makes no sense at all.
    "Not uncommon" is a double negative, but people use it to mean "not rare." Your saying "not uncommon" in talking about people changing BMW model trunk emblems was completely and clearly false as I demonstrated.
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-02-2019 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The "example" you cite makes no sense at all.
    "Not uncommon" is a double negative, but people use it to mean "not rare." Your saying "not uncommon" in talking about people changing BMW model trunk emblems was completely and clearly false as I demonstrated.
    Something that happens 3 times a year. I call it "not uncommon", you call it "miniscule". Then I bring up mass shootings with assault rifles - something that could also be called, "not uncommon" - and point out that the national conversation about it (your dismissal of that conversation notwithstanding), would tend to paint it as something that happens frequently.

All that in an attempt to point out that "miniscule", "rare", "uncommon", "not uncommon", "too common", "frequently", and "rampant" are all degrees on a scale and not specific numbers.

My being right doesn't make you wrong, and vice versa. Misunderstanding or disagreeing on the use of a word, doesn't make it incorrect.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Something that happens 3 times a year. I call it "not uncommon", you call it "miniscule". Then I bring up mass shootings with assault rifles - something that could also be called, "not uncommon" - and point out that the national conversation about it (your dismissal of that conversation notwithstanding), would tend to paint it as something that happens frequently.

All that in an attempt to point out that "miniscule", "rare", "uncommon", "not uncommon", "too common", "frequently", and "rampant" are all degrees on a scale and not specific numbers.

My being right doesn't make you wrong, and vice versa. Misunderstanding or disagreeing on the use of a word, doesn't make it incorrect.
    First of all, I am very surprised that your dealership would agree to falsify the model badges of BMW's. Secondly, words have meaning. If thousands and thousands of vehicles pass through your dealership and it alters 3 of them, that is, by definition UNCOMMON. I would say, so uncommon as to be labeled miniscule. If you can't grasp the concept, so be it.
    Your arguments attempting to justify your statements are silly and,with all due respect, just plain idiotic.
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-02-2019 at 03:16 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    First of all, I am very surprised that your dealership would agree to falsify the model badges of BMW's.
    lol. Yeah, we'll paint them green too, even though the paint tag would still describe them as black. WTF do we care? It's their car.

Secondly, words have meaning. If thousands and thousands of vehicles pass through your dealership and it alters 3 of them, that is, by definition UNCOMMON. I would say, so uncommon as to be labeled miniscule. If you can't grasp the concept, so be it.
    Your arguments attempting to justify your statements are silly and,with all due respect, just plain idiotic.

We'll have to agree to disagree on those points.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    WTF do we care? It's their car.
    That says it all. Money buys anything, including sacrificing one's integrity. Sad..........

My Cars
    EXOTICS
    As we say at work when a topic of argument has gone on far too long - "WHO CARES!!"

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKYZZ4 View Post
    As we say at work when a topic of argument has gone on far too long - "WHO CARES!!"
    Agreed. There comes a point of diminished returns. And, it appears that no one on this forum cares anyway.

It is typical that when someone talks about the importance of honesty, integrity, responsibility, or character, there will be those who want to shut it down. "You're making a mountain out of a molehill", or "your not listening" to the laid back and fun loving hedonistic types.
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-03-2019 at 05:09 PM.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    TIL adding an "M" badge to your 230 is hedonistic.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    TIL adding an "M" badge to your 230 is hedonistic.
    Idiotic comment.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Idiotic comment.

... in response to a spectacularly overblown comment about how one's honesty, integrity, responsibility, and character are compromised when they change the badge on their car.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    ... in response to a spectacularly overblown comment about how one's honesty, integrity, responsibility, and character are compromised when they change the badge on their car.

No, a response with no understanding that a "change" of a badge for the purpose of deception is dishonest. Honesty and integrity make the world a better place and vice versa.
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-17-2019 at 07:10 AM.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 328
    Changing badges to upscale your car is a long-standing practice for cars guys who want more than they have.

I used to own a 1969 Torino Cobra with stock 428 Cobra Jet emblems on the hood scoop, and the most common question when guys first saw it was "is it really a 428 or did you just change the emblem"? That question made it obvious they were car guy wanna-be's who didn't really know the car, since that was the only engine offered in a Torino Cobra.

Bruce

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by 75gmck25 View Post
    Changing badges to upscale your car is a long-standing practice for cars guys who want more than they have.

Bruce
    I hope that you are not condoning or suggesting that you think that it is okay to engage in the practice of deception. Is there anyone on this forum who believes that honesty is a good thing?!?!? Holy cow......
    Last edited by ship4u; 11-21-2019 at 05:57 PM.

My Cars
    2016 435i Convertible
    This thread has close to 2,000 reads, yet only one other person wrote that it is not proper to change the model/logo badge on a car.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12