Thread: 2019 x5 40i

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I

2019 x5 40i

First let me say hi to all. New to the thread world.
    I purchased my BMW in 2018, a X5 50I. Nice vehicle. No problems with the car. December 2018, at 15 mph on a icy road I slid into the back of another vehicle. Yup.. air bags went off, 4 of them. Not a lot of damage to the front of the BMW. The local dealer here in Anchorage, AK was eager to help. They introduced me to a 2019 X5 40I. Basically same car. That is where the resemblance stopped. No problems with 2018. All problems with 2019. Also this is where the dealer becomes less than friendly.
    Currently the 2019 BMW is setting in my drive way. It has approximately 900 miles on it. After several attempts to get the dealer to address safety issues the vehicle information system continues to send while driving. I don't believe this vehicle is safe to drive. Neither the dealer nor BMW USA is willing to do anything. I will post an entire time line with messages.
    Any comments?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved to the model specific discussion area.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    We need more information. Sounds like there's a lot more to this story that you haven't told us yet.
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    What are the safety issues?

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I

Bmw #2

First BMW..2018 BMW X5 40I. No problems with this car. A cold December afternoon Anchorage , Alaska, icy road. That ended its run. Yeah about 15 MPH slid into the back of the car in front.
    BMW #2. 2019 BMW X5 40I. Being a BMW is the only thing that compares these two cars. Now... BMW #2. After the purchase date of 01/08/2019 this car has been a real lesson in consumer and BMW relations. After receiving several messages concerning driver safety from information screen in the car, the local dealer was contacted. I was told that the car could not send such messages. Yeah you read correctly. They told me to take pictures. I presented pictures one week latter.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I

Bmw #2

Hi to All:
    Need some advice on a 2019 BMW X5 40I.
    From the start of the purchase this car has delivered multiple messages regarding driver safety. And that the key is not recognized. Of course this comes during driving. The dealer refused to believe that any messages had been sent. I was told to take pictures of the messages. After presenting the pics to said dealer, they indicated that they needed a copy of my drivers license and registration to send to the manufacture. Yeah you read it correctly. Anchorage, Alaska is pretty small as compared to other towns. There is only one dealer within many hundreds of miles.
    There is much more to this situation.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved + merged to X5 forum from general BMW forum
    Last edited by shogun; 10-19-2019 at 08:04 AM.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I

Bmw #2

I apparently have not found the correct location to began to post information about my 2019 X5. Could someone let me know if this is the correct location?

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    I have merged all your various posts in different forums now in the X5 forum

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I

Continuing with BMW #2

Thank You for moving my posts and allowing me to continue with this trail of events.
    BMW was purchased Jan. 08/2019. BMW #1 was in body shop. Local dealer contacted me and asked me to come to the dealership to discuss the accident. A total of $18K was the impending body shoe bill. First meeting with BMW #2. Same color almost identical except one year newer.
    Now the events start. The Vehicle is currently in my driveway, with approximately 900 miles on it. Shortly after taking position the information screen indicated that ( Driving Assistance support Reduced ). 06:42 , 01/03/2019. Same message 05:22 03/4/12019. This message recurred most of the day. Another message that that continued to appear was that the key is missing. During driving, during shutdown, startup, and setting in the car.
    The good stuff to come.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Again I merged your last post with this thread. PLEASE reply/continue here and do not always start a new thread.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    Shogun. I hope this is the correct place to continue this thread:
    After returning to the dealer several times questioning a reason for the auto to send messages. Dealer indicated the car could not send that type of message. Again I stated the dealer told me to take pictures. After showing the picture to the dealer, they indicated that some parts would be ordered. 2 weeks latter I inquired as to the parts location. At that time the Dealer Manager appeared and stated that the person who was to order the parts forget to order them. At that time the Manager walked away to have a conversation with some one standing. Another 2 weeks passed. I again returned to the dealer for information. I was told at that time that BMW Factory wanted a copy of my drivers license and registration.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    Ok here is the continuation of the X5. I asked the dealer if the car was safe to drive. They would not answer the question. The dealer called two weeks later and stated that the parts were in and to bring the car in. I asked if the car was safe to drive. They would not answer. The dealer sent two employees to my house to get the car. One month latter the dealer said the care needed to be picked up. I asked if the car was safe to drive. The dealer manager, and salesman would not say it was safe to drive. They drove the car to my house. I have contacted BMW USA, No help there. BMW Europe. No help there. The car currently is in my driveway. It has not been driven sense the dealer left it there 7 months ago. Does anyone have any suggestions? Its obvious that BMW overall is not going to help with this problem. The BMW dealer here in Anchorage has very poor customer relations.

My Cars
    2013 X5 35i M-Sport
    If your explanation to BMW is in anyway similar to the description you are providing us, I can see why they arent very helpful. What issues are you having with the 2019 model that makes you think its unsafe? Wayyy to much information missing.

VRSF CP & DP | BMS Intake | MHD 2+ Tune | BavSound Stage 1 | 20% Tint
    Contact me for module coding/ECU resets

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    OK, one of the messages that kept appearing was (Driver Support Reduced You can continue Driving to Your service center.)
    Next Message ( Drive to nearest Service Center)
    Next Message ( Make Service Request to Address affected Systems.
    Next Message ( While Driving.. Vehicle key is missing or defective. Engine Cannot be started.) Again this appears while driving the car.
    These messages started appearing all while driving. The message stays on the screen until the engine is shut off.
    After the dealer returned the car they would not answer the question if the car was safe to drive in light of all the safety related messages.
    I should put this out there.. It is not about the money.... This dealer has a displaced moral compass. The BMW is setting. I ordered a Mercedes GLC AMG63. From Seattle Mercedes. Flew to Seattle 5 Months ago and drove it back to my garage. It simply is the principal of the matter.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    My question:
    Is the car safe to drive with previously indicated systems not functioning correctly? What other systems in the car do these affected systems interact with, and do they have the ability to cause other vital systems to become inoperative.?
    With BMW USA and the selling dealer refusing to address these concerns, how can I feel comfortable driving this car, let alone selling the car without divulging all pertinent safety concerns?

My Cars
    Something still doesn't add up here. If there are warning messages coming on in the vehicle, then there is a problem. The car is under warranty. Take it to the dealer and leave it there until they fix it. Take pictures or video of the warning messages if you need to and show them. Get management involved.

Either there is more to the story, or I don't know what the hell is going on.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    Thank you for your reply to the post.
    I started taking it to the dealer when the messages started to appear. Approximately one month after taking delivery. The salesman took my key fob to the service area. Approximately 20 min. later the salesman returned with several sheets of paper and informed that nothing has registered. I was told at that point to take pictures of the messages. The dealer manager and salesman both told me that the car would not have those messages. I returned to the dealer about two weeks later with several pictures with me. At that point the service manager and dealer manager told me that they would need to order parts. I was told that the parts would be sent over night. One week later I returned to the dealer to inquire if the parts had arrived. I was told at that time the person who was to order the parts forgot to order them. The Manager and Salesman stated that the factory needed a copy of my drivers license and registration. When I inquired why, they stated that it was because of the ignition fob. Which i supplied. After another week passed I returned to the dealer. I was told that the service manager had gone on vacation and not ordered the part. Two weeks latter the dealer called and stated that the part was in and to bring the car in for repair. I informed them I had not driven the car in a month, nor was I going to drive it now because I felt it was unsafe to drive. The dealer dispatched two employees to pick up the car at my residence. The dealer kept the car for a month and a half. They called and said the car was ready to be picked up. I ask them for the first time was the car safe to drive. They would not answer the question. I said that I would not drive the car until they indicated it was safe to drive. They delivered the car to my residence. It has been parked in the same location now for several months.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540iA
    Well, did the dealer fix the problem, do you still see those messages on the dash/info system? If those messages are gone, I don't think there is much you can do, for BMW to buy back your car, lemon law in most of states require that the car has to go back to repair the same problem 3 times so if you just leave the car parked, what are you going to do with the car?

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    What am I going to do with the car!!!! That is a good question. I don't trust the dealer to be truth full as to what they did to the car. They would not show me anything that represented that parts were ordered for the car. Therefor I must ascertain that the systems that were sending the messages were summarily made inoperative. If these functions controlled specific items such as steering, ABS, throttle, how do I drive the car knowing that at any time controlling the car will be impossible? I live in Alaska, the streets and highways here sometimes require an extreme amount of attention to driving. Travailing from one town to another can become dangerous in a very short period of time. Without having a vehicle that can be trusted, can and has become life saving, or life lost. Do You trust your car with your LIFE?
    I reached out to BMW USA. I received no help from them. I am at a loss as to a course of action.

My Cars
    So you haven't even driven the car to know whether or not it's fixed??? That's on you! Drive the car. If it's fixed, then it's fixed and you have nothing to complain about. If it's not fixed, take it back. I'm not sure why you are refusing to drive the car. Because they won't tell you "the car is safe to drive"? That's stupid. Obviously they drove to your house safely. And if they kept the car that long, clearly they worked on it and probably fixed it. I'm sure they test drove it plenty. The repair order will show you the "in" mileage, as well as the "out" mileage. That will show you how far they drove the car to properly test their repair.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    Stupid or not, there was NO repair order presented. There was NO parts order that could be presented. I am guessing that just because the (Trusted Dealer) stated the vehicle problems had been rectified I am to put my life on that? This dealer has demonstrated their unwillingness to even show me a technician report on the repairs.
    OK BMW Level 1 Master Technician would you allow your wife and child to drive and be in this car under these circumstances?

My Cars
    I would have handled the situation completely differently from the way you have handled it. Clearly we are missing a lot of information here. You have no repair order? Have you not signed anything? Either something is off here, or you're dealing with the worst dealership in the world.

But yeah, I would at least drive the car to see if it's fixed. From what you described you got some warnings on your screen. Did the car drive itself into a ditch? Did the engine shut down on it's own and leave you stranded? Did the engine go wide open throttle and you couldn't get the car to stop? Did the steering stop working and you wrecked? No, none of that happened. So you're saying this car is completely unsafe to drive? Doesn't sound like it to me.

My Cars
    2019 BMW X5 40I
    How do I put this as delicately as possible. I don't trust the car, and more to the point the dealer. The 2018 X5 50I was a vehicle that posed no such messages. I have read reports that multiple people have had the same results form their 2019 X5. How do yo explain that? What dealer do you work for? perhaps I could take the car to that dealer and you personally put your stamp of approval on it. I work in an industry that requires the math to be exact. The outcome to be exact.This piece of junk is the farthest from being exact there is. Yeah I'll take a hit on it, but consul has suggested a voluntary turn in. Then advise CarFax and other agencies of a potential safety problem . Your Thoughts?

My Cars
    Sounds like you're ready to take the loss and move on. If you don't trust the car you probably never will. Sounds like a good plan for you.

I'm in Atlanta, so I doubt you'll be bringing me the car to test for you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk