Thread: Stock radio unlock

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is

Stock radio unlock

Ey guys I have question the radio is lock I need a code but only dealer can figure t out or any of h guys would have it

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Call any dealer with the serial number and they will give you the code for free. Each unit has its own unique code that is based on the serial number. One or two guys here know how to figure the code but a dealer is your best/quickest option. All dealers Ive heard of only charge for it if they have to pull the radio out to find the serial number. As long as you supply them with the serial number they won't charge. If they try to then find another dealer, any dealer, anywhere. Just call them. They don't care if you live 5 miles or 500 miles away. If your radio display shows CODE _ _ _ _ _ then just use the number buttons to put the code in. You get three tries before it will say CODE WAIT. If it shows that then you have to leave it for 1 hour with the ignition turned on and the engine off so it will clear itself and go back to just CODE.
    Last edited by flyfishvt; 04-28-2012 at 04:32 PM.

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318is
    Ok I see but mine doesn't even say code ---- so I'm guessing the fuse is gone with one would it be ??

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    i bet it isn't a fuse. The E36 radios are well known for having a bad solder joint on two of the reistors that light up the display. Search for "dim radio display" and you'll get a link to a fix for it. It worked for me. shine a flashliight onto the display and I bet you'll see CODE or something else on there. very very dim.

My Cars
    94 325i
    So if anyone steals my radio they can just call the dealership and unlock it, sounds well thought out to me.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by blackongrey View Post
    So if anyone steals my radio they can just call the dealership and unlock it, sounds well thought out to me.
    its a 15 year old car. You can buy oem replacement radios for $75. Do you really think the dealers are concerned with the ID of someone calling about a 15 year old radio?

Its only meant as a deterent so people can't smash and grab and sell it an hour later. I'm sure dealers used to ask for proof of ownership.

My Cars
    94 325i
    I know, now it's just a annoyance. That's why I leave mine stock and let all you guys put in your head units to attract a local methhead.