Thread: dustless brake setup?

My Cars
    1988ica

dustless brake setup?

Didn't see much on here recently on brakes . I need new front rotors and was looking to upgrade to something cleaner . Any recommendations ?

My Cars
    1990 325i sedan M20 glac
    it's the particles of cast iron in the rotors that have a static charge from the heat causing the dust and from the pads alike. i think its unavoidable.
    akebono and hawk are good brands of pads advertising dustless..

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by chefpeterlevine; 10-07-2019 at 05:48 PM.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    i actually put powerstop on mine with ceramic pad and slotted and drilled rotors. I see very little brake dust with this setup and will stop on a dime. I have used powerstop on several vehicles with great success.
    1987 BMW 325i Convertible

“Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.”
    Jeremy Clarkson

My Cars
    1989 Bmw325IC
    My factory pads were very dusty. The replacements are not but I don't remember what they are. If you look at Rockauto, some of the pads say low dust.

My Cars
    1990 325i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by 88325ica View Post
    Didn't see much on here recently on brakes . I need new front rotors and was looking to upgrade to something cleaner . Any recommendations ?
    Just make sure you buy ceramic brake pads. Your rotors aren’t the problem, it’s the material used in the pads that create the dust. I’ve done this on all of my cars and now I don’t have to clean my wheels every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by doctorx69 View Post
    i actually put powerstop on mine with ceramic pad and slotted and drilled rotors. I see very little brake dust with this setup and will stop on a dime. I have used powerstop on several vehicles with great success.

Curious as I’m looking into the exact same set up. Did you do front and rear with the power stop? Also, did you replace the calipers with power stop as well? I’m looking at the packages available through Rockauto and I’d appreciate your feedback.

My Cars
    8 BMW's & a Ford p/u
    slotted/drilled rotors are just eye candy on a street car and don't improve braking. they also cause more dust and pad wear as the edges shave the pads off.....

My Cars
    No e30s, again :(
    but at the autocross those slotted rotors are great. I kept cracking solid rotors, in the rears. once I swapped to slotted, no more cracks
    No e30s again.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by mlytle View Post
    slotted/drilled rotors are just eye candy on a street car and don't improve braking. they also cause more dust and pad wear as the edges shave the pads off.....
    uh... ok... i guess my experience is different than yours. Helps a bunch with panic stops. And i still do not have much dust. With about 2000 miles on the brakes, still have a bunch of pad left.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by CRABKLR View Post
    Just make sure you buy ceramic brake pads. Your rotors aren’t the problem, it’s the material used in the pads that create the dust. I’ve done this on all of my cars and now I don’t have to clean my wheels every day.

- - - Updated - - -

Curious as I’m looking into the exact same set up. Did you do front and rear with the power stop? Also, did you replace the calipers with power stop as well? I’m looking at the packages available through Rockauto and I’d appreciate your feedback.
    did front an rear pads and rotors. I did buy new calipers, but i dont think they were powerstop.

My Cars
    87 BMW 325i Convertible