eBMWParts

Thread: Dummy seeking suspension help. 2008 e92 335XI

My Cars
    2006 525xi

Dummy seeking suspension help. 2008 e92 335XI

My 335XI has worn struts and shocks. At least I hope it does, because it's super bouncy and rough. It's high miles, and I think factory struts/shocks/springs.
    I know just enough about suspension to be dangerous, and after many many hours reading up on this particular car and it's suspension flaws and limitations, I'm about back where I started. I can handle the installation myself, but I would rather keep it on the easier end. My car has factory 17" rims and currently wears worn Conti tires. Contisport contact I believe, 225 45 r17.

Goals:
    -stop the bouncing and rough ride that commonly hits the bump stops
    -install suspension parts myself
    -smooth as possible ride, given the limitations of the XI front end
    -have better control, but I will unlikely ever track this car
    -would love to keep it at $1k or under (have my cake and eat it too)

If I just replace the stock parts with OE or similar components (Bilstein B4) and leave the springs, but replace all the mounts and consumables, I'm looking at around $700. Are my springs worn? I'm not sure. If they are, add approx. $200.
    But then at that cost, I'm at the $1000 coilover market. If I went coilovers, it seems installation is relatively simple. On the other hand, the ride is called 'harsh' by some and I don't want that. But, can it really be worse than my totally worn stock stuff? I've driven new M2 comp and a 2015 M4. Those didn't seem 'harsh' to me, but I would say controlled.

I'm totally fine with you guys just telling me what to buy. Haha!

OE struts/shocks/mounts/bump stops
    coilovers
    some alternative like non OE struts and shocks and different springs

Thanks in advance....
    Last edited by acarpenter86; 10-07-2019 at 11:40 AM.

My Cars
    2001 E46 325ti Compact

Dummy seeking suspension help. 2008 e92 335XI

Hey

Since you are going to be using the car solely for daily driving you don’t have to upgrade to anything but OEM parts. Even if you do find yourself on track at some point, OEM is fine too to start with.

The bouncyness you are experiencing is worn shocks. Check them for leaks. The springs don’t wear out like that, but they can break or start to sag but that just shows as reduced ride height. So if the car sits evenly on the driveway the springs are most likely fine.

As for “upgrading” to $1000 coilovers this is in my humble opinion a major downgrade for your particular need. You are going from a high quality Bilstein OEM product to a low end coilover which most likely uses a universal damper that they throw into a bunch of different suspension packages for all sorts of cars from BMWs to Miatas to save cost. It is by no means a better package. Adjustable coilovers were originally made to be able to dial in your suspension on track and in recent times been used to “slam” your car to look “cool”. Since you don’t seem to want to do either, go with a high quality purpose built OEM shock that does what you need it to do.

Many times when the suspension is worn you may also see stuff like bushings, front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings in particular, and front control arms being worn too. Again, OEM is you friend here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by KlausH79; 10-12-2019 at 05:10 AM.

My Cars
    2006 525xi
    Quote Originally Posted by KlausH79 View Post
    Hey

Since you are going to be using the car solely for daily driving you don’t have to upgrade to anything but OEM parts. Even if you do find yourself on track at some point, OEM is fine too to start with.

The bouncyness you are experiencing is worn shocks. Check them for leaks. The springs don’t wear out like that, but they can break or start to sag but that just shows as reduced ride height. So if the car sits evenly on the driveway the springs are most likely fine.

As for “upgrading” to $1000 coilovers this is in my humble opinion a major downgrade for you particular need. You are going from a high quality Bilstein OEM product to a low end coilover which most likely uses a universal damper that they throw into a bunch of different suspension packages for all sorts of cars from BMWs to Miatas to save cost. It is by no means a better package. Adjustable coilovers were originally made to be able to dial in your suspension on track and in recent times been used to “slam” you car to look “cool”. Since you don’t seem to want to do either, go with a high quality purpose built OEM shock that does what you need it to do.

Many times when the suspension is worn you may also see stuff like bushings, front control arm bushings and rear trailing arm bushings in particular, and front control arms being worn too. Again, OEM is you friend here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the detailed post.
    I wouldn't MIND the front end being a tad lower, but it seems one of the major contributors to rough ride (in this car) is lack of travel, so i can't see lowering it being helpful. Just as well- going this route will save me a little money if I can keep the springs. I will check the bushings and control arms. Thanks!