Thread: Blown X1 Engine - Need Urgent Advice

My Cars
    2011 BMW 32i 2014 BMW X1

Blown X1 Engine - Need Urgent Advice

My wife's 2014 X1's engine blew on Sunday. On Friday the car was at the BMW dealer for an Oil Change and a free multi-point inspection. Nothing adverse was reported then. Less than 200 miles later the engine blew without any warning lights or prior warning. My 56 year old wife drives very gingerly so abuse would not be a factor.

Backstory on Warranty
    Care was purchased from a BMW dealer used on 9/30/2014 with 8000 miles on it. Had been a car used by the dealership rather than being with a private owner. Had approximately 55000 miles when engine blew. The window warranty sticker said CPO Elite 5/75K ISD 3/3/2014. Note that 5 years from purchase was 1 day after engine blew. Not sure if a warranty can start running before a car is purchased or not

1. Looking for some advice on whether this car should be repaired or not. In great shape other than the engine. Repair cost seems to exceed cars value on Kelly Blue Book.

2. Wondering if I have any recourse to get BMW to do the repairs given the warranty situation and the recent passed inspection of the engine.

Thanks for looking

geargrinder is offline Having No Trouble Here BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E46M3Cic E39.540iT E84X1
    These are my numbers not corresponding to yours:

1. What is "engine blew". What happened actually. "Engine Blew" is like "my wife died". Died of what? Car crash? Shotgun blast to the face? Excessive Toe Fungus? Ennui?

2. Sometimes those "dealer cars" have a secret story. I know I owned one. Mine was a fleet car for a dealer (aka in-house use, demo, loaner...) and - hard to know because the who problem is they tried hard as hell to hide this fact from the world - either an employee or the owners son or something like that seems to have crashed it, including water damage (either from going into water or maybe being left in the rain with the windows smashed out or whatever). Instead of losing the $25k or whatever that the car was worth at the time, they obviously repaired it "on the downlow", made sure no insurance or autobody records were created on the car, then sold it as perfectly fine at auction with zero records in the books about it. Took me a long time to backtrack and get hints to reveal what had gone on. I was completely screwed over by an auto 'broker' guy who had obviously bought this car for another guy who discvoered that the car was not perfect and was furious and then therefore made him sell it again. Its a long story and the car did get a "inspection report" before buying but turns out that shop was buds w/ broker guy. So in my case I was victim of at least 3 scummy people doing sh1tty stuff and all disclaimed any of it, although I probably could have paid $$$$ to an attorney and maybe won but not enought to make it worth it. But I digress. Maybe something was wrong with that car. Don't buy "fleet" or "dealer" cars bottom line.

3. Yes sometimes BMW will do a courtesy thing where they'll grant you the warranty etc. Is the dealer you used known to be excellent or kinda crappy or what? You might go via another dealer if the suspicion is Dealer A screwed up but Dealer B might also be titschy about narcing out bad work / screw up by Dealer A.
    2003 M3CicM6 TiAg
    2002 540iT Sport Vortech S/C 6MT LSD TiAg
    2008 Audi A3 2.0T DSG (the daily beater)
    2014 BMW X1 xDrive28i (wifemobile)

Former:

1985 MB Euro graymarket 300SL
    1995.5 Audi S6 Avant (utility/winter billetturbobattlewagen)