Thread: E39 1998 540 (pre vanos) 6 speed part out

My Cars
    1998 540i

E39 1998 540 (pre vanos) 6 speed part out

Update: Sold the whole car.

My beloved 540 6 speed manual had engine failure. Timing chains cut loose. The car was the best handling car I’ve ever driven, including my tricked out E36 328. Lots of work done, mainly for drivability and handling.
    I put upgraded parts where you would want them, and refreshed the suspension, AC system and rebuilt the power steering system. Sadly I had just put in new UUC clutch and moderate weight solid flywheel 6 months before engine went south. At the same time I installed the Eibach heavy duty sway bar in the front and rebuilt the steering linkage
    If I had the time and energy I would find decent used engine to drop in and be back on the road, but don't have the time or space.
    Here is list of parts installed (that I can remember)

Zionsville all alloy radiator with electric fan (mechanical fan deleted)- 200$. this is the best aftermarket all metal radiator to replace the weak stock part that has plastic parts that blowup (they will fail and overheat your expensive engine ) I also have aftermarket 2 speed fan controller that I will throw in.

Rebuilt AC system, including new compressor, condenser, and all new tubing/pipes. Ice cold AC from this setup. If you have failed or failing AC compressor, these parts will do the trick. 150$ for all parts

New power steering pump and hoses and fluid reservoir. Leaking power steering fluid? These parts will do the trick.
    120$

M5 steering box. Ok this is a lesser known upgrade to the stock steering box. Tighter steering ratio.
    All new steering linkage. Make an me an offer

Eibach sway bars. These beefy sway bars are a no nonsense upgrade to stock sways, that really can be felt in tightening up body roll and improve stock handling . 150$

Front end suspension was completely rebuilt 2 years ago. New control arms (with bushings ) and tie rods and sway bar links and ball joints . Make offer on all or any parts

New UUC heavy duty M5 clutch and solid flywheel (one year ). beefy clutch setup. 300$

New UUC Evo short shifter kit with heavy thrust rod option and all new shifter bushings. 250$

Solid , no issues 6 speed manual transmission. These are pretty bullet proof . 400$
    New drive shaft flex disc and center bearing
    Drive shaft is in great shape, no issues

New door lock actuators all around. Just put these in 6 months ago . These are prone will fail in E39. 50$ each

Genuine BBS Style 42 wheels with good tires ( only about 8k mikes on the tires). Classic 2 piece mesh wheels. These are in decent shape with some scrapes and road rash. 400$ for the set with tires

Name a price for any parts you might need. All lights and electronic modules are in good working order. Interior is in fair shape. Side mirrors are good and electronic motor adjuster works.

Parts I have that didn’t get around to installing:

Complete lightly used rear subframe with good bushings. ( I got this because the rear sway bar tab had broken and also intended on refreshing all of the rear subframe bushings and found a clean low miles subframe on eBay with good bushings already installed. 150$

New water pump. 75$

Note: this is a early 1998 model and is the non-vanos version engine if you are looking for engine parts

I’ve set very fair prices for items but make me a reasonable offer. I can bundle parts for discount, such as trans with clutch and shifter and driveshaft

I will be pulling parts overs the next few weeks, so if you want a part that hasn’t been pulled yet I can prioritize that and pull right away.
    The heavy and large items will be for local pickup only
    Last edited by wfseward96; 10-04-2019 at 11:59 AM.

My Cars
    '94 325i, '98 540i
    Sending you a PM!

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    PM'd

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Sold the whole dang car! Was not looking forward to pulling the tranny. So that’s that. Now what ?
    Got no BMW. Life is not as exciting, but quite a bit less expensive! (Until I get sucked into the next black whole of bimmer madness) 10-4 over and out E39 peeps

- - - Updated - - -

Sold the whole dang car! Was not looking forward to pulling the tranny. So that’s that. Now what ?
    Got no BMW. Life is not as exciting, but quite a bit less expensive! (Until I get sucked into the next black whole of bimmer madness) 10-4 over and out E39 peeps

My Cars
    1998 BMW 540i/6
    PM Sent