Thread: Cat Cams - Turbo non-vanos cams

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3

Cat Cams - Turbo non-vanos cams

Has anyone tried Cat Cams 1301106 in an M50 non-vanos? The profile looks really interesting. I have a spare non-vanos I'm considering throwing them into. It would be cool to find some results with them.

http://www.catcams.com/products/cams...nguage=english

Mike
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    e30
    Mike, your current motor has VANOS right?

Overall the profiles for the Catcams units look pretty good for the applications listed (turbo, race, street). I like how they actually give you info more than just one duration measurement!

My Cars
    86 325es
    That is very very similar to the cams I have in my car. If you do run them the exhaust cam should be retarded by like 10 degrees from the centerline it is at on the card. The intake is in a decent spot for non vanos use.

Just curious, why do you want to run without vanos? You can put vanos cams and a vanos unit on a non vanos head, that is what I have been running for years.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    S13, Turbo M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu70 View Post
    Mike, your current motor has VANOS right?

Overall the profiles for the Catcams units look pretty good for the applications listed (turbo, race, street). I like how they actually give you info more than just one duration measurement!
    Yes, it does have vanos. This is for an E36 sedan I have, which also currently has an M50 vanos in it, but I have a spare M50 non-vanos I was considering playing with and revving higher, etc. I thought it would be fun to have some turbo specific cams and see what kind of results I would get.

Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    That is very very similar to the cams I have in my car. If you do run them the exhaust cam should be retarded by like 10 degrees from the centerline it is at on the card. The intake is in a decent spot for non vanos use.

Just curious, why do you want to run without vanos? You can put vanos cams and a vanos unit on a non vanos head, that is what I have been running for years.
    The centerlines on the cam card are wrong? Well that's not very comforting. I was initially considering adapting vanos and finding some other cams, but this seemed like a relatively simple drop in solution, and I thought it would be fun to try it. I also won an ECU master EMU standalone last year that I never used my credit on, and they have both vanos and non-vanos pnp options. I figured it would be fun to try a non-vanos setup and rev it to 8000 and see if it sounds cool also. Maybe throwing away a bunch of mid range torque by doing so. I guess I was thinking the cat cams degreed perfectly might be some magic spool sauce.

Also, unrelated but I didn't want to make another thread:

Maybe time to try one of those 6 speed options..

Mike
    Last edited by MikeE36; 09-20-2019 at 09:57 AM.
    IG: @mikevanshellenbeck

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeE36 View Post
    I also won an ECU master EMU standalone last year that I never used my credit on
    Use it towards a PMU. Once you go solid state, you'll never go back.

Mike
    Yeah buddy! This one

f8ed0aaec5e7864070b995e2cf24de44.jpg

My Cars
    86 325es

The centerlines on the cam card are wrong? Well that's not very comforting. I was initially considering adapting vanos and finding some other cams, but this seemed like a relatively simple drop in solution, and I thought it would be fun to try it. I also won an ECU master EMU standalone last year that I never used my credit on, and they have both vanos and non-vanos pnp options. I figured it would be fun to try a non-vanos setup and rev it to 8000 and see if it sounds cool also. Maybe throwing away a bunch of mid range torque by doing so. I guess I was thinking the cat cams degreed perfectly might be some magic spool sauce.

No the cam card is probably correct, what I meant is they will be pretty disapointing at those timing numbers. The idle quality will will be decent at those centerlines, they just won't make the power that they should.

I run a stock non vanos head with vanos added to it, M50 vanos lifters (they are lighter) and a set of 280/264 cat cams. I shift at 8500 rpms. There is no particular reason you can't rev a vanos motor over 8000 rpms. So for me if I was going to spend money on cams I would get vanos ones. Even if you don't want to run vanos you can just lock the intake cam. Cat will sell you any combination of cams you want and I can make you timing blocks to time them at any centerline

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    1304214- Exhaust - 115* installed CL
    1304215- Intake- 123* cl vanos off, ~100* vanos on.

Pretty happy with the results but with the small s362sxe turbo on it could benefit from a smaller exhaust cam. Seems to show signs of a powerband shifted up a little bit too high with anymore overlap (exhaust dilution and back pressure), but also really inefficient part throttle combustion characteristics. Keeping the exhaust valve closed a little longer would help. Boost onset is fast and it rips to 7500.

Depending on turbo selection and powerband (you said 8000 plus) those cams shown would be a good match. I would still run vanos though.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin325i View Post
    1304214- Exhaust - 115* installed CL
    1304215- Intake- 123* cl vanos off, ~100* vanos on.

Pretty happy with the results but with the small s362sxe turbo on it could benefit from a smaller exhaust cam. Seems to show signs of a powerband shifted up a little bit too high with anymore overlap (exhaust dilution and back pressure), but also really inefficient part throttle combustion characteristics. Keeping the exhaust valve closed a little longer would help. Boost onset is fast and it rips to 7500.

Depending on turbo selection and powerband (you said 8000 plus) those cams shown would be a good match. I would still run vanos though.
    Wanna trade exhaust cams? Mine is just a little bit smaller than yours and I would like a little bit bigger one. I'll throw in a set of cam timing blocks too.

My Cars
    97 M3, 98 328i, 13 Cruze
    I'm gonna stick with it for a bit. Thanks for the offer. Pretty sick of taking the valve cover off honestly haha.

I just got everything working really nicely in the car and the logical choice would be put a bigger turbo on..

My Cars
    '97 M3, '95 M3, '93 325i
    Yes, it does have vanos. This is for an E36 sedan I have, which also currently has an M50 vanos in it, but I have a spare M50 non-vanos I was considering playing with and revving higher, etc. I thought it would be fun to have some turbo specific cams and see what kind of results I would get.

Mike
    Let me know how your EMU installation and calibration goes Mike, i'm setting up my car with the EMU Black and hope to have it up and running in the next few months. Not going with the PNP option as I am adding (2) EGT's, pre and post IAT, Audi R8 coils, etc...

-Michon

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3

Mike
    Man....I'm so glad that car is still together! I'm so glad all the hard work I put into that chassis/cage is getting used as hard as I was planning on!