Thread: Idea wheel and tire set up for AutoX

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i

Idea wheel and tire set up for AutoX

I just acquired a 2011 335i Coupe M-Sport, and was going to buy a second set of wheels and tires just for AutoX. Definitely some very low tread wear tires, but the size of rims I chose will dictate a lot. For example, with the stock 18" rims which are slightly staggered, (1/2" wider in the back,) there are few options for track tires. The class I will compete in will allow either 18" or 19" rims, and pretty much anything that will fit. The car is currently lower on H&R springs, and will probably stay that way, (coilovers incur a big point penalty.) But I definitely do NOT want to have any rubbing, and do NOT want to roll the fenders; this is primarily a daily driver.

So should I go to 19's? Square set up? Wider rims?

So far, I took it to one event with all-season DWS tires, and it had very little bite at the front, and really was reluctant to turn in hard. I know I need more camber to achieve the best grip, but I'd like a really good wheel/tire set up before I do anything else.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Better Performance tire selection and pricing if you stay with 18s. Are you able to go non staggered without it hurting your classing? Id go square as wide as you can cleanly fit. What kind of alignment do you currently have? Some tires fare much better with more camber than low camber. As far as which tire that depends on a few things. There is not 1 magic bullet for everyone.

Current hot 200 tw tires in auto-x
    Bridgestone RE 71R- Pros- Great feedback very fast like less slip angle. Cons- Not great when they get hot. If running a dual driver car these will overheat here in the south. Heat cycle out well before the tread is gone.
    BFG Rival S 1.5 Pros- love slip angle if you drive aggressively, good in the heat, quick tire. Cons- Horrible in the rain, arguably just ever so slightly slower than the stones, pricy
    Yokohama A052 Pros- Apparently super fast if you have enough camber. Put down power super well. Not horrible in the rain. Cons- Pricy, New with little data, inconsistent feel based on temperature. Vague steering feel based on its soft sidewalls. wear quickly. (full Disclaimer I have never driven on these, this is all what I have heard from others.)
    Nexan SUR4G- Pros Cheap, almost as fast as the above tires. Puts power down well. Cons- not as fast as the above tires, soft sidewalls feel real squirmy to me.

Other runners
    Falken 615K- old tire soon to be replaced. Honestly been so long since I've driven a set I'm struggling to remember them
    Dunlope ZIII- Good tire just not as fast as the tires above. Feel nice to drive and take heat well.

If you can wait for next year there a other rumored tires that may be the new Hottness if rumors are correct.
    Falken
    Goodyear
    Bridgestone

All have supposedly been testing but test participants had to sign NDAs so not a lot of info yet

Of course all of the above is my experiences and i know others on here will be able to weigh in on theirs but hopefully the above is helpful.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Thanks for all the good info! I can definitely choose either square or staggered set-up, (stock set up is modestly staggered). I know for BMW club events I can be running over 400hp without a bump in class and still leave plenty of "points" for camber plates, a limited slip, possibly heavier adjustable sway bars than the stock sport suspension bars. So maybe wider rear tires is not such a bad thing for traction; the car will have the power to rotate with the throttle, and balance can be achieved with the sway bars. I already have H&R springs and Koni yellow shocks installed. Coilovers are a big point penalty, so probably out.

From what you've said, I'd like to avoid really high camber, (I will still increase a bit over stock,) so the Yokohama's are out. I notice you did not mention the Toyo Proxies. The are only 100 tread wear, so I gather very sticky. Do they have that short a life?

The question remains what will actually fit on the car without rolling or cutting the fenders? Anyone??? It looks like there is room for at least an inch or so wider front and rear.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by RacerX5 View Post
    Thanks for all the good info! I can definitely choose either square or staggered set-up, (stock set up is modestly staggered). I know for BMW club events I can be running over 400hp without a bump in class and still leave plenty of "points" for camber plates, a limited slip, possibly heavier adjustable sway bars than the stock sport suspension bars. So maybe wider rear tires is not such a bad thing for traction; the car will have the power to rotate with the throttle, and balance can be achieved with the sway bars. I already have H&R springs and Koni yellow shocks installed. Coilovers are a big point penalty, so probably out.

From what you've said, I'd like to avoid really high camber, (I will still increase a bit over stock,) so the Yokohama's are out. I notice you did not mention the Toyo Proxies. The are only 100 tread wear, so I gather very sticky. Do they have that short a life?

The question remains what will actually fit on the car without rolling or cutting the fenders? Anyone??? It looks like there is room for at least an inch or so wider front and rear.
    My racing class is limited to 200TW its a nice sweet spot since they are reasonably priced and you can drive them to the events and they tend to last long for their speed. 100TW tires will most likely be fast but they can be sketchy on the road and can teach bad habits if you are newer to auto-x. If you are not then it may not be an issue. I would pick a square setup personally over staggered if given the choice unless its near impossible to put power down. The stagger builds in understeer that you would have to tune out. Why not just have more grip in the front haha. Also helps that you can rotate tires front to rear to even out wear, just help them last longer. Big front bar to help maintain the camber with the Mac strut front suspension and stock rear bar to help with power application has worked on most 3 series cars I have played with. As far as what fits on your car specifically tire wise I'm sure It has been discussed in other parts of the forum or others may be able to chime in. As always these are just based on my experience and you may find something better for your own tastes. Hope this helps.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    [QUOTE=snakebit8;30331974]My racing class is limited to 200TW its a nice sweet spot since they are reasonably priced and you can drive them to the events and they tend to last long for their speed. 100TW tires will most likely be fast but they can be sketchy on the road and can teach bad habits if you are newer to auto-x. QUOTE]

Until last weekend I haven't autocrossed in more than 25 years, but back then I ran about 20 events a year for more than a decade in a 320is, winning a regional SCCA championship in CSP as well an EMRA Solo 1 championship. I was also a BMW CCA driving instructor for many years. So I've been around the cones a few times. I do understand car set up, I just don't know much about what works on the 335i Coupe. Back in the 80's I had to get wheels custom made, and then machined on a mill to get exactly the right offset to fit the widest tires possible on my 320is. And roll the rear fenders. And I definitely want to avoid that kind of headache with my 335i.

It's funny you mention the tread wear limit for your class; it's just slightly different for BMW CCA; they are 200 and under for race tire classes, and 201 and over for street tire classes.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i

My Cars
    1997 M3
    [QUOTE=RacerX5;30332516]
    Quote Originally Posted by snakebit8 View Post
    My racing class is limited to 200TW its a nice sweet spot since they are reasonably priced and you can drive them to the events and they tend to last long for their speed. 100TW tires will most likely be fast but they can be sketchy on the road and can teach bad habits if you are newer to auto-x. QUOTE]

Until last weekend I haven't autocrossed in more than 25 years, but back then I ran about 20 events a year for more than a decade in a 320is, winning a regional SCCA championship in CSP as well an EMRA Solo 1 championship. I was also a BMW CCA driving instructor for many years. So I've been around the cones a few times. I do understand car set up, I just don't know much about what works on the 335i Coupe. Back in the 80's I had to get wheels custom made, and then machined on a mill to get exactly the right offset to fit the widest tires possible on my 320is. And roll the rear fenders. And I definitely want to avoid that kind of headache with my 335i.

It's funny you mention the tread wear limit for your class; it's just slightly different for BMW CCA; they are 200 and under for race tire classes, and 201 and over for street tire classes.
    Last edited by snakebit8; 09-19-2019 at 08:05 AM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    Going to get back into autox been quite a few years since I have tracked, but got my 2.0 5 speed Jetta and I want to get down.My car is stock and I will be attending my first event the 26th of this month. Plans are to get the DR series BC coilover set up. Just want to know ideas of wheel size set up. Last time I was autoxing I had a 2007 Honda Fit with 15x7 Falken Hanabi and worked out very well. I had KW coilovers on that. Got a bigger car now, so I would say 17x7 or 7.5 maybe? I got to see my over all diameter, but anyone already autoxing an MK6 that can give me some ideas for a good wheel/tire set up.
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    Last edited by iklaki; 10-27-2019 at 02:54 PM.

My Cars
    2008 X5 4.8i
    Quote Originally Posted by iklaki View Post
    Going to get back into autox been quite a few years since I have tracked, but got my 2.0 5 speed Jetta... but anyone already autoxing an MK6 that can give me some ideas for a good wheel/tire set up.
    Tutuapp 9apps Showbox
    You might be better off posting this on a VW forum, I'm sure there are many.
    2014 328i XDrive
    2011 335i M-Sport
    2008 X5 4.8i Sport
    2000 528i