Thread: iDrive faulty ; CIC replacement advice requested

My Cars
    2012 BMW F30 320D ED

iDrive faulty ; CIC replacement advice requested

Hi All,

I have a F30 320d efficient dynamics 2012, 127k miles.
    The car was bought second hand and is out of warranty.
    I live in Ireland, car is imported from UK and is right-hand drive.
    Recently the iDrive system has been problematic.

The iDrive is continuously rebooting: on startup it loads, works for 1 - 2 minutes then screen goes black and iDrive reboots (to BMW splash logo), this behavior is continuous when driving the car.
    This is very aggravating as when the system reboots i loose the radio, Bluetooth calls/connection, reversing camera and all access to vehicle setting etc.
    It seems to me that the CIC head unit computer is faulty and is stuck in a boot loop - if it was accessible like a standard computer then I would seek to flash the operating system and reinstall it all but this is not an option due to the proprietary hardware and not having access to an operating system image/disc.

I think my best course of action is to change the CIC head unit and code the new one to the car.
    I am not really too interested in changing to the newer NBT system due to the cost (my budget is not much) and the limited value I would get from the additional functions.
    I have seen a number of CIC units available on eBay - some are manufactured by Harman Becker and other by Alpine, the sellers all say that either will fit my car. Will it make any difference which manufacturer device I purchase (I think the only difference may be the coding to the car?)

My current CIC iDrive has no sat nav, the units I am looking at have business sat nav. Is it the case that I would simply need to get a GPS antenna and the correct coding to have the sat nav function in my car?

Is there any recommended source where it comes to coding the car? for the CIC replacement and one or two other things I wish to change (fit LED DRL, change default engine mode on start to comfort).

I would like to have a better understanding of the process to change out the CIC.
    As I see it it should flow:
    -disconnect battery (leave boot open)
    -remove interior trims
    -disconnect cabling
    -remove faulty CIC unit
    -insert replacement CIC unit
    -reconnect cabling
    -connect and place GPS antenna (where to place in the car?)
    -fit trims
    -reconnect battery
    -code car

Any advice or assistance would be a great help.

My Cars
    2014 BMW 320i xDrive
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have seen the same units on eBay and had the same question...