Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ‘95 325i rough idle and intermittent stalling?

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    This may not be the answer, but i am also having intermittent bad idle/stalling out. I've traced it to the maf sensor. If I just unplug it, and replug, I'm good for another while.
    I think that either it is the fact that I bought a cheap one, which is now dirty, or the harness, which I doubt, or that the connections get vibrated loose after a while.
    Might just try another maf. I've cleaned my connectors with deoxit, they are shiny now, same problem. I am going to clean the old oem maf and put it back in, and I bet that fixes the problem.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-26-2022 at 02:37 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Sorry to keep you all in a never ending necro thread. But like many forum posts I won’t let this one die and just give up on the car. It’s a project for a reason. I’ve been spending everyday out here lately. It’s been almost a month since the car last ran. Fired it up and backed it outside. It idled the best it ever has for 10 minutes about. It then died and would no longer start so I pushed it back in. Since the last time she ran, I replaced the valve cover gasket and installed 6 new spark plugs. Did a ton of cleaning everywhere and paid attention to a lot of things. I went to start the car and of course, cranking but not starting... I’m thinking, “What happened that killed the car and will not let it start?. So I decided to pay my attention to the wiring harness previously mentioned but not given good eyes to further back in my thread... I tore all of the sleeve off and had nothing but wires... melted, fried, exposed... an electrical nightmare. I have been spending my nights replacing every single wire with its corresponding correct wire, soldering them in, making my harness brand new. Had everything ready to go last night and boom, cranking no start. I then decided to start testing relays and certain electrical aspects of the system. Fuel pump is not humming when I start the car so I started there. If I jumper my relay socket with it removed... Walah, fuel pump purrs on and runs great. So I scratch my head and think it’s bad again alongside the ecu relay. Replace them both tonight to find the car still a cranking no starter. Now I’m a little lost at this point. Too much reading, too many possibilities. If all my relays and fuses and the wiring harness is good... what gives? I’ve previously posted what I’ve replaced. Thank you all and everyone for reading and I hope we can figure this out for the better of the community.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 328is
    Yeah I hate to say it again too... Putting back in my OEM MAF, after cleaning it, fixed my intermittent stalling/rough idle. Just a thought.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i
    Hey Musgrat! Sorry I totally read your reply just forgot to reply back. I’ve actually put a new one in and plugging in or unplugging it sadly does nothing. Since the car is still so iffy on how it runs and when, I’m not sure if messing with the maf was ever even needed.
    Last edited by shogun; 05-26-2022 at 02:37 AM.

My Cars
    93 325i
    Was there ever any resolution on this problem?

My Cars
    e36 328i
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkmoeller View Post
    Was there ever any resolution on this problem?
    No. I parted this car out and am still stumped to this day. Still think about it all the time lol

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123