Thread: 2002 M roadster - windows don't roll down when I open the door

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3

2002 M roadster - windows don't roll down when I open the door

Longtime lurker. I purchased a clean S54 M roadster yesterday with 80k on it. I noticed later in the day that the windows do not roll down slightly when I open the door. I have had other bmw's and never had this issue before. A bunch of friends had older E36's than this and I recall those doing this. There are no other issues with the windows besides this weird quirk. They aren't slow to close, don't get caught up and they open and close just fine otherwise from the switches, as well as the door lock actuator. The windows also don't lower slightly before I put the top down or up. It seems rather strange for it to not do this. Once I realized this, I manually put them down 1/4" or so before closing the door. It'll get me by until I can find out what's wrong.

I searched the forums, tried looking through the FAQ, and didn't see any one else with this issue. I tried the window reset sequence I found on youtube. I had no issues running the sequence (turn to accessory, lower windows all the way, take key out, close driver door and then lock the car and let it roll the windows up). This did not solve this.

Any other ideas or suggestions I can try?

Thanks, really appreciate your help or if you can point me to a thread that exists that I couldn't find.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    They’re not supposed to. It’s ok. That’s a coupe thing

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Was gonna say... I'd be worried if they did roll down. Count your lucky stars. I think the auto rolldown "feature" prematurely wears out the window motors on Coupes. I've replaced DS motor and contemplating doing the other side. Even after replacing sliders I still have some slop in the motor...can hear motor run but takes a few mm for window to start moving. If I replace PS, I'll be looking for a motor from a Roadster.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by z3forlife View Post
    They’re not supposed to. It’s ok. That’s a coupe thing
    That makes a whole lot more sense now of why I couldn’t find anything. It crossed my mind as a possibility but that honestly felt less likely. Thanks for confirming.

I guess I’ll just open the windows first before I put the top down.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    Thanks for confirming. Glad it’s not broken for sure. Goodluck with your PS issue.

Not topic related but just saw your sig. did you do Randy’s reinforcement pre-FI? Your roadster must really be a monster with the blower. I had mine up on the lift yesterday before I bought it, no subframe issues so I went through with the deal. I’m not sure which shop around me would even be down to weld it in. Most I spoke with say it’s an e46 issue and not to believe the hype from the forums. Only one bmw and porsche shop said he knows of the issue and that it’s more so an issue for guys that track, autox or drive theirs hard. Why would you buy an M and not use it for what it’s meant to do.. guess that just means more for us to buy mint from these types. He’s out though, nearing retirement this year and not taking jobs like this anymore.

My Cars
    2000 m roadster 2010 x3
    Randy F developed the kit for his own roadster and thankfully offered it to the rest of us. I unfortunately waited too long to have him work on mine but he does still offer the kit. Nathan and I sourced our blown roadies from opposite coast (his was from Hawaii where you are mine from Atlanta) around the same time and yes they make the S52’s at or above S54 HP. The general consensus is to replace the rear subframe bushings with poly instead of rubber to lessen the chance of trunk floor/crossmember failure if you don’t install Randy’s kit.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    I added the reinforcement about 5k miles after the supercharger was added. I bought the car with the blower, shipped it from Honolulu to Long Beach and drove it home to Denver. PPI stated welds were good; I found one popped weld when I got the car and went ahead with the kit. I ran it by Jon Martin (he runs mroadsterbuyersguide.com) and he didn't think it was that bad and just suggested I monitor it over the next few years. I figured I'd do it eventually anyways, so found a local shop that had already done a few and the rest is history.

I find the car very livable with the supercharger, and at my altitude in CO I think it's a big benefit. The initial tune from VF wasn't playing nice at altitude, so a very generous member here supplied me with a new tune that behaves much better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spazzyone View Post

I guess I’ll just open the windows first before I put the top down.
    No need; the car is designed to raise/lower the top with the windows up. That said, I always lower my windows anyways when the top is down, so doesn't hurt anything.