Thread: Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3

Valeo Single Mass Flywheel Conversion

Need to change the clutch soon in my 2002 Z3 3.0. I assume it has the original dual mass fly wheel is in there. Anyone done the Valeo Single Mass conversion? What did you think, opinions? I just want the best overall driving experience, and don't want a tun of noise.

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    I’m guessing you saw my response in the your other clutch post about the Valeo smf conversion?

My Cars
    2002 3.0 Z3
    Sure did! Thanks, because that is by far the best deal out there on that kit. Just trying to get more feedback. Is your clutch engagement smooth. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by JRowe View Post
    I’m guessing you saw my response in the your other clutch post about the Valeo smf conversion?

My Cars
    99 M Coupe LS Swap
    Doesn't the tranny sound like its has a can of bolts poured into it with a single mass sitting in neutral?
    For the very minor improvement in shift speed or rev dynamic, which is sort of moot for the street, why put up with all that noise?
    It can sound pretty bad.
    Dan "PbFut" Rose

My Cars
    98 Z3, 01 330i, 07 328iT
    I like it on my e46. It’s smooth and does what it should. As for noise, the only time I’ve noticed it is when I’ve left it in neutral and gotten out of the car and stood beside it. Even then, it wasn’t bad. I haven’t noticed noise while in the car. This may be different for a Z3 with the top down.

I would do a search over on e46fanatics as I recall there was a fairly long discussion on this kit there.

My Cars
    1998 Z3
    I've got the Valeo smf on my 98 2.8, and I'm happy with it except for the noise. No noise while idling in neutral, but it seems to exacerbate driveline play when the clutch is being engaged, and makes a metallic clunk when engaged or disengaged in neutral. Briefly, my stock flywheel went out at about 60,000 kms, way too early. it sounded like a sowing machine when the engine was hot and the clutch was being engaged. thinking it was the clutch i replaced the clutch and did not fix the noise. These were winter projects and the car remained drivable throughout the summer. Next, replaced the flywheel with an aftermarket one, non BMW, which had free play in the two discs, but well within tolerance, and within a couple of months had the same sowing machine noise return. then went to the smf, and have had it since. once you develop a feel for it it drives nicely, although the pedal feel is odd because all the tension is in the initial inch or so of pedal travel, which realistically is where all the engagement action is. you really only depress the pedal fully to start the car, and start moving in first gear. shifting at higher speeds and higher revs there may be a bit more of a jerk if the revs aren't matched enough. all in all i've dropped the transmission 4 times, including shift pins and have gotten pretty good at it (2 hours) putting it back on is a little trickier.
    Since some dual mass flywheels seem to last forever, my advice would be to remove the transmission and see if there is free play in the flywheel, is it within tolerances, etc. then you could take the chance and replace only the clutch. If you are replacing the flywheel then spend the big bucks and spring for the bmw one, which should be better than the aftermarket ones. Hope this helps

My Cars
    1999 Z3 2.3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe458 View Post
    Need to change the clutch soon in my 2002 Z3 3.0. I assume it has the original dual mass fly wheel is in there. Anyone done the Valeo Single Mass conversion? What did you think, opinions? I just want the best overall driving experience, and don't want a tun of noise.
    Well I put about 8K on my 99 roady before it under went a major make over, although my first rodeo with a dmf, but wasn't impressed with the spongey feel of the dmf, so I opted for the Valeo smf conversion kit, was also curious about the difference in weight between the two, which came out same weight wise.
    Hopefully ill be able to try it out soon, but as far as noise goes, from what ive read, a lot of guys opt for a light weight flywheel, but also opt to keep the unsprung clutch disc, meaning the disc has not springs in it, as does the sprung hub clutch disc in the Valeo kit, plus when I drained my supposed life time transmission oil, which was definitely dead after 170k.
    So I replaced it with 1 qrt of RED LINE 75W140NS, then topped it off with RED LINE D4 ATF, which is supposed to help thicken, would also recommend updating the rear seal, and pilot bearing while your in there.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    That's a pretty good description. It's kind of embarrassing when you're sitting at a light and your car sounds like diesel truck in neutral. My m roadster has a stiffer "sport" clutch and lw flywheel installed by the previous owner. I've been around a lot of cars with lw flywheels so I'm familiar with the sound, but anyone else would think there's something wrong with your car. It definitely doesn't sound good but it's only there when the car is sitting idle in neutral.

My Cars
    02 M Roadster, 15 i3
    Quote Originally Posted by JRowe View Post
    I like it on my e46. It’s smooth and does what it should. As for noise, the only time I’ve noticed it is when I’ve left it in neutral and gotten out of the car and stood beside it. Even then, it wasn’t bad. I haven’t noticed noise while in the car. This may be different for a Z3 with the top down.

I would do a search over on e46fanatics as I recall there was a fairly long discussion on this kit there.
    I feel like the noise is less pronounced with the top down in my z3m. The sound isn't as contained so it's not as distracting. You can still hear it for sure.

OP, goodluck. It's tough to say what you'll be OK with as far as added noise. PbFut is right on the money with his description. I always thought F350 Super Duty or school bus, not as loud, but still loud enough that I personally don't like it. If you don't want additional noise, don't get a LW flywheel. If you're tracking it all the time, maybe it's worth the trade off.

My Cars
    '02 Z3, '09 Mini
    Yeah, those are both pretty good descriptions (diesel engine and can of bolts).

I thought my transmission was broken the first time I heard 'the noise' after getting a ltw flywheel installed (because it didn't happen until later when the car was warmed up). Very embarrassing, so that at stoplights I'd push the clutch pedal in to stop the noise.

You can use thicker fluid to help with some of the noise (UUC has a recipe for this). Biggest help for me though was bumping up the idle RPMs... That basically got rid of the noise except in the worst-case, fully-warmed-up car+A/C on situation, and even then it's not very loud. Next time I change trans fluid I will try the UUC recipe:

http://store.uucmotorwerks.com/artic...uce_rattle.htm

My Cars
    00 E39 M5, Z3 Coupe 3.0i
    Would the Valeo kit be able to handle 340 HP? Thinking about adding a SC to my 3.0 and looking for a clutch flywheel setup that could handle the HP without leaving a big hole in my pocket.