Thread: Touring Subwoofer Delete

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5

Touring Subwoofer Delete

About to ask an ignorant question: can I safely run the sound system with the rear subwoofer unplugged?

The stock sub in the back of my touring barely works, and I think it might be contributing to the many squeaks and rattles coming from the "back forty." So, I'd like to unplug it and remove it.

I'm worried that this might cause issues with the sound system though, since last time I tried to run the system with the sub unplugged the amplifier died in a few days. Not sure if it was causal, but I've been too afraid to try again since replacing the amp!

If it makes a difference, I have the Hifi Sound System, not the DSP system.

Thanks!

My Cars
    03 M5/05 RR/06 Cayman S
    With the hifi system, did you make sure and replace the amp with another one that was designed for a touring with sub? They are different than the sedan amps and that could be why you don't think your sub is working very well. My amp died in my 540i wagon that had a sub and hifi and I needed at least an amp in there, so I swapped my old hifi sedan amp from my 530i since I had it already and the sub of course doesn't work. The sound quality really isn't that good either, but at least I have music in there. I'll get a proper amp back in before I sell the car, but at least for now, it'll do.

I highly doubt that removing the sub from the amp caused it to die though. That just doesn't make any sense.

-Paul
    2003 "M5" - Full M5 conversion, AMG C63S 6 piston front calipers, Porsche Panamera 4 piston rear calipers, GC Coilovers,
    Eibach ARBs, UUC Evo3/DSSR, Borla Exhaust w/Muffler Delete, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto, Bi-Xenons, e38 Style 37 M-Pars, e60 Hubs 530i 6-speed swap build thread
    2005 Range Rover 4.6is (M62TU Powered) - 4.6is Engine Swap from X5, BMW NBT with Carplay/Android Auto
    2006 Porsche Cayman S - Soul Performance Competition Headers and Exhaust, H&R Coilovers, 718 Boxster Spyder wheels, Rennline 35mm rear spacers

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5
    Thanks for your input!

The replacement amp came from a US-spec E39 wagon with the HiFi sound system, and I just assumed that all the tourings with HiFi had the sub, although that could be wrong. Nevertheless, there is sound coming from the sub, but not much. The whole sound system is pretty shot after 200k+ miles, but it works which is good enough for now.

My objective is to eliminate sources of rattles and squeaks from the trunk area, so I think I'll try running without the sub for a little while to see if it makes a difference.

I think the main rattle culprits are the battery box and the tailgate. Really I should just ride back there while someone else drives to get a pulse on the source of all the noise.

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    FWIW I removed the subwoofer when I bought my 2001 touring. I thought it was part of the phone system, which I was not going to use. Found no real difference in the hi-fi system until I read here that the thing I took out was actually a sub woofer. Put it back in and ... meh ... I guess when you pump up the volume you can tell it's there, but I don't necessarily pump up the bass. I guess it works.

My Cars
    03 530dT - Ex Police Car
    Quote Originally Posted by bigMphan View Post
    FWIW I removed the subwoofer when I bought my 2001 touring. I thought it was part of the phone system, which I was not going to use. Found no real difference in the hi-fi system until I read here that the thing I took out was actually a sub woofer. Put it back in and ... meh ... I guess when you pump up the volume you can tell it's there, but I don't necessarily pump up the bass. I guess it works.
    Correct! It shouldn't be called a 'subwoofer' as it can't deliver any 'sub bass' !

Texas Touring - I have a rattle when going over more unforgiving road undulations and will be investigating more soon. My car is in for quite a bit of mechanical work and maintenance including new subframe bushes. Once I have it back, I will test for rattles and investigate further if needs be. I don't have any OEM audio equipment in my Touring though !

Cheers, Dennis!

My Cars
    E12, E12, E36, E39
    Overall I think the sound system in tourings is pretty good, albeit overly complex. But while I've never tried unplugging it, it sure doesn't sound like anything's coming out of that subwoofer. That's on a pair of wagons, not just one.
    98 328is
    02 525ita
    80 528i
    81 528ia
    and decades of owning and driving BMWs

My Cars
    '99 540iAT; '00 528iT/5
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisCooper View Post
    Correct! It shouldn't be called a 'subwoofer' as it can't deliver any 'sub bass' !

Texas Touring - I have a rattle when going over more unforgiving road undulations and will be investigating more soon. My car is in for quite a bit of mechanical work and maintenance including new subframe bushes. Once I have it back, I will test for rattles and investigate further if needs be. I don't have any OEM audio equipment in my Touring though !

Cheers, Dennis!
    Keep me posted on the rattle hunt! I love my touring, but the back half of this car can really get noisy compared to the sedan!